Driver's license

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
It's so easy to get your license, not worth it to cut corners..I got a 90 on the written and drivers test, if I can do it anyone can..seriously..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are not fluent in Spanish you WILL fail the test. By the way, it is not written, it is a multiple choice test on a computer. If you go through the Driving School there is someone with you to push the right key. End of story.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
That is exactly what I did for my DR license. US citizens can't do it this way because the US embassy/ consulate would not do step #2!

Also bear in mind: If you want to drive in any other country you have to carry your Dominican license, otherwise you won't be driving legally. I am German citizen and when I rented a car in Germany I was asked for my Dominican driver's license because by law I "switched" my German driver's license for a Dominican one although the Dominican authority allowed me to keep my German license.

Last edited:

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
In the event of an accident, car insurance is not valid without it! It's pretty easy to get though there's a bit of hassle in terms of getting there early and doing what you need to do. My understanding is that if you are living in the country rather than visiting short term, you need it!

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
If you pay someone at the office they will point out what you have to do regardless of how much Spanish you know. The written test is visual and multi-choice, so with their help you can do it. You are not allowed to get 100%! Call it a 'translation fee'!

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
You take a copy of your cedula to Ban Reservas to pay the fee for the paperwork for a 'licencia temporal' which lasts for up to a year. You take that to the transport office where they take your photo etc and you can pay someone to help you do the written test whether or not you know Spanish and you will receive a provisional license. You will need a letter of 'buena conducta' but someone will 'help' you get that too. Sometimes they give you a copy of the highway code to study. You are then supposed to drive in the company of an experienced driver for a minimum of 3 months [during which time you drive on your homeland license]. After that, you again take the provisional license and your cedula [copied] to Ban Reservas to pay the fee for the paperwork for your full license. Go back to the transport office with the relevant paperwork and someone will 'help' you for a small fee. If you don't speak Spanish, take someone with you who does and who can help you communicate with the staff. It is a bit tedious and there is a fair bit of hanging around but you get the license at the end. As far as I remember, that is all there is to it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You cannot apply for permanent (after temporal) for 45 days then you're good to go.

45 days =temporal driving.

Mediocre Spanish will get you thru the test - the visual says it all.

@OP - I hope you got my PM w/ Gabriel's contact number

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
OR, you can do what Idid,drive here for 15 years without a DR liscense.
Been in lots of "fender benders",and "check points",no problemo!
But I THINK that being retired US Military,and knowing the "System" here "HELPS"
I do not endorse my method,but I enjoy,"Tigeraje"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
But wouldn't one have to know Spanish?

I'm thinking that anyone who has lived in the country long enough to obtain their residency/ cedula which is need to get license will know enough Spanish to get them through the test...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I'm thinking that anyone who has lived in the country long enough to obtain their residency/ cedula which is need to get license will know enough Spanish to get them through the test...

You think wrong my dear.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not true, passed with a 90, simple yes or no video questions. does what the driver is doing look right? yes or no. 95% of the dominican traffic laws are the same as in the US. If you can pass a US test you can pass the dominican test. When I took the test there was no one allowed in the booth with you to push any keys.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Maybe missing $$$?

done in santo domingo with finger prints taken at each step of the process! Also no driving school. no chance to give any one any money, or I would have. but test not that big a deal. Driving test at the stadium not in the street. Just make sure to use the turn signals and follow the laws not what you see in the street.

Last edited:

jazz21

Jul 11, 2011
Hi guys,

I used the search but Id id not find, so I ask in this thread:

I have a cedula for estranjero, temporal recidency: can I apply for a Driver Licence in Santiago? I want to do it the correct way, so get a legal driver licence. Where can I go to get informations about this matter?

A guy in Bavaro told me I can not have a driver licence with the temporal recidency. He told me I have to wait 5 years and get the recidencia definitiva before applying to the driver licence. Is it true?

Thanks, jazz21.

Feb 7, 2007
A guy in Bavaro told me I can not have a driver licence with the temporal recidency. He told me I have to wait 5 years and get the recidencia definitiva before applying to the driver licence. Is it true?

No it's not true, I have a temp and going through the process now (currently with 45 day permit in hand).

My bet is that if he walks in, tells them he wants to renew, they'll do it.

Pay the fee and walk away.

As to if he should -- why not?? Better to have both.
That way in NJ, he can hand over the RD license to the state patrol.

The US and Canada make you forfeit the old license -- no such problem in RDaid

I have said i lost mine so i keep it around! (Canada)

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
ONCE he does obtain the dr licence , neither canada , or Us will renew his licence . You are no longer allowed to have two drivers licences . The dr licence would be used as valid in us , canada, and dr