Driver's license

Feb 7, 2007
ONCE he does obtain the dr licence , neither canada , or Us will renew his licence . You are no longer allowed to have two drivers licences . The dr licence would be used as valid in us , canada, and dr

And how will the US or Canada know he has a DR license? It's nto like they are all connected together, maifren

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I carry two licences..... Rubio is correct, there is no connection between the two.

In the US, on the other hand, a Cdn licence must be forfeited before the the US one is granted.
The testing is abbreviated for a transferee ( mostly Kms to miles conversion)

Canada is the same - hand over the US licence and get a Cdn one.

But - yes - the RD licence is valid throughout the world

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I carry two licences..... Rubio is correct, there is no connection between the two.

In the US, on the other hand, a Cdn licence must be forfeited before the the US one is granted.
The testing is abbreviated for a transferee ( mostly Kms to miles conversion)

Canada is the same - hand over the US licence and get a Cdn one.

But - yes - the RD licence is valid throughout the world

Even the fake DR license I had for about 5 years worked well where ever I went until I went to renew it. Then I got a "real" one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i thought that it is valid for good, in a way. say, i travel to poland every year or two. i can drive there on my dominican license and i do not need to change it for a polish one because i reside in DR and only visit poland. of course should i ever decide to move there i have a certain time frame to get polish document.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know here in Dominican foreign driver licence are only valid por 90 days.

I know of no instance where a cop told a driver his foreign license is not good. If anyone has experienced this I would like to hear about it.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
As stated before, what the law says and how it actually is upheld are 2 totally different things! ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know of no instance where a cop told a driver his foreign license is not good. If anyone has experienced this I would like to hear about it.

I think that statement is related to insurance claims.... they don't like to honor the licence after 90 days.

That's if they honor it all !!!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I think that statement is related to insurance claims.... they don't like to honor the licence after 90 days.

That's if they honor it all !!!!

Even for Insurance claims I still have not heard of one case that was denied due to overstaying. A lot of people here state that, but no one I know of has come forward to say it happened to them.