Drug Trafficking in The DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as for safety:
i felt safe in the uk, even when i lived in brixton just off the main street (and main drug market in one). i used to see drug dealers on daily basis, we'd say polite "hello" and each go own way.
in poland i often used to go for long walks at night in my neighbourhood and since i went to school with all the local drug dealers and thieves again we exchanged handshakes and i have never been bothered.
but in london i would not go walking in hoxton, and in szczecin (poland) i would not go to certain neighbourhoods.
now, minovio was born and bread in POP and went to PUCMM but still he'd never walk at night in neither POP or santiago.
i guess the parts of the country/city you know and are familiar with are perceived as safe. not countries/cities themselves...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I wanna walk down through Electric Avenue...

Brixton or Bella Vista?

Chelsea or Capotillo?

The choice is yours.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't care what country you're in. While drugs ~may~ not do direct, individual harm, the societal harm they cause is immense. They rot the brain, and thusly destroy the soul.

For every functioning drug user (and apologist), there are hundreds or thousands of individual lives and otherwise good families forever destroyed because of drugs.

Those whose families have been touched by drugs know exactly what I'm talking about. And I'm not even considering the direct physical danger associated with drugs (just ask the families of those guys found in drums without some of their body parts).

I'm certainly no Pollyanna, and I advocate their legalization. But I'm not blind to their threat either.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Those whose families have been touched by drugs know exactly what I'm talking about. And I'm not even considering the direct physical danger associated with drugs (just ask the families of those guys found in drums without some of their body parts).

Again, how does that relate to me. I don't do drugs, I don't socialize with drug dealers so what do I care if some junkie ends up in a garbage can in pieces? He made the wrong choice and he paid for it with his life. There is no rocket science involved in realizing that drugs can destroy lives and families. If they are too dumb to figure this out on their own, then I guess some weak people will pay the price.
I know many drug dealers in santiago, many are from NYC who now live here in luxury. I only say hi to them, shake their hands and then go my way. I have been invited to party with them, use their jet skies in beach or spend weekends in their campo ranch. I kindly decline and live my life in peace. These drug dealers are not your hollywood movie type dangerous killer characters. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They are desperate to have some friends who are educated and knowledgable. The problem is, most of the NYC drug dealers who have retired here in DR live in luxury but they are all high school drop outs. they speak good street english but they lack any real knowledge outside of street level. Their friends are also like them, who look like criminals or simply a lambon tigre from a barrio. These guys try hard to assimilate into the rich culture but it just doesn't fit their appearance. They hang out in Tribecca bar (2nd floor) with expensive wines and liguors and always with barrio rubias. They all wear 5 button pimp suits but they fail to realize that they still look like gangsters. They all look like criminals with tough scared faces. The wine glass just doesn't look right in their hands. They show up in late model BMW or even porsche cayanne, mercedes etc. They are at every event around town. They also love the tipico bars example: montebar and andy ranch. These guys are tired of doing the same routines everyday and tired of being with the same lambones everyday. They want someone who can speak properly, a respected member of the society. They want in, but they are still left out. They are not generally the most happiest people in DR.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Wow! That's a 9,450,000 sq.mi. brush you just used to paint that pic, Lambada. I would say a many million sq.mi. area of NA is MUCH safer than the DR. Maybe not the inner cities, but most of the rest of it. I cannot vouch for GB and Europe, however, never been there (yet).

OK I'll rephrase..........I feel safer in DR than I do in US. When I lived in US (many moons ago) I didn't feel unsafe. But now I don't live there, it's 'forin'. I'm more at home in places I'm more at home in. And I would most certainly choose DR over UK. The only bag snatching incident I've had in the last 5 years occurred on a visit to UK in a Tesco supermarket. Never had that in DR.
But I still maintain that dealing with the drug problem in DR is in its infancy as yet and both UK and US, generally speaking, have less corrupted resources to deal with the problem. We'll get that here too, eventually. It'll just take a while.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Know That "AZB" Has Dated Some Real "PIGS"!

Saw him with one in Sosua. Now he has switched to "MULES"???
Isn't there a "LAW" against that??? Not Here I Guess!:eek:gre:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS, The DR has a VERY serious "CRIME" problem!! It is getting worse by the day! It has a lot to do with "DRUGS"! Not drugs on their way to other countries,but drugs consumed right here,right now!
You can say; It's WORSE in the USA,or Italy,or "anywhere" else,but that is not the purpose of this web site! There must be a "place" for all of you who want to proclaim,"The DR is "safer" than:Insert Country you wish to "Bad Mouth" here!!______________.
I have lived here"24/7" for the last 11 years. Visited for 10 years before that.I stay home at night now!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
AZB-

I said a person may not be directly affected by drugs. Feel fortunate you may fit in that category. Many cannot. My family certainly cannot; we have been badly affected by a member who fell prey to drugs influence.

But the country you seem to love is becoming a drug haven, and more violent every day....because of drugs. The police force is corrupted because of drugs. The judicial system is corrupted by drugs. How are you NOT affected by drugs considering those items?

Surely you are not so self-centered to assume because something doesn't (today) affect you that it doesn't affect many others.

Hell, you started a looooong thread about how it affected a "good" Dominicana. If SHE can fall badly astray, don't you think many others might, too?

Drugs are a bad thing. But that being said, I'd like them to be legalized. Take the profit out of them. Give unfettered access to them by all above the age of majority. Hell, give them out for free!!!! Then when the druggies are all dead from overuse (with no attendant societal affect, since they are free from the criminal element), things will settle down, their use will be greatly reduced and society will be much better off.

I'd much prefer massive drug rehab facilities than a massive drug-fighting bureaucracy for the same amount of pesos.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Do what the chinese did back in time. Line up 60 drug dealers and shoot them on national TV live broadcast. The drug crime will end in 1 day.
AZB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Do what the chinese did back in time. Line up 60 drug dealers and shoot them on national TV live broadcast. The drug crime will end in 1 day.
AZB
And then charge the families for the cost of the bullets...:chinese:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My chopo brother, when will you correct your grammer? It should be "did you guys hear..." (not heard).
Anyway, why worried about all this drug problem and crime being 10 folds? Live in nicer residential areas and you will never see any of the above listed problems (and I don't mean gated communities). In almost 9 years of living here, I have yet to see drugs being sold on street corners or knowing anyone who uses drugs here. I used to see the drug culture every where in USA, but not in this coutry (so far). Crime??? what crime. I have not seen any 10 folds in crime anywhere either where I live or socialize. You guys must live in ghettos or a hole in the wall barrio in montellano, maybe cien fuego in santiago or some dangerous barrio in santo domingo. You want to see drugs and crime, you will find it if you look hard enough.
The expats who are living in north coast and mix with cheap hookers and pimps are the first ones who fall victims to crime. Why doesn't this all happen to me or to hillbilly or to DMS3511 (???)? I got mugged once thats because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, looking for trouble. I am sure if I return there, I will be mugged again. Other than that, I see no problems anywhere. I am sure the majority of drugs which is shipped through DR is bound to end up in USA or europe.
So whats the big hype about crime and drugs? You want to see all that, just walk into any barrio in the poor area and you will see it all. The barrios always had their share of trouble from the beginning of time.
Funny the people who make a big fuss about all this crime and drug trafficking are onces who don't even live here in the first place.
AZB
Good point AZB. I've noticed that its the same DR1ers who constantly bring up this issue on this board.

Maybe they think that if this issue is discussed on DR1.com ad neuseum that miraculously its going to be solved?

Who knows, but its interesting to see these topics be brought back to life time and again.

There is nothing wrong in discussing all types of problems on this board, but to constantly repeat the samething by creating a new post on crime when the old ones die out is just tiresome after a while. No?

-NALs

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Line up 60 drug dealers and shoot them on national TV live broadcast.AZB

-Do you really feel like having those 60 politicians killed is a good idea ???

;)

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
There is nothing wrong in discussing all types of problems on this board, but to constantly repeat the samething by creating a new post on crime when the old ones die out is just tiresome after a while. No?
-NALs

Ok, boss, so please make sure to tell us what is ok to be posted...

;)

-How was the New Year's Eve up there in New England ?

:)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I would think crime and drug discussions keep coming up because those topics are so important to folks.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Squat said:
Ok, boss, so please make sure to tell us what is ok to be posted...

;)
oooh:paranoid:

Squat said:
-How was the New Year's Eve up there in New England ?

:)
I guess it was good, but in Moca it was devine and New Years Eve too!!!

-NALs :surprised

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
.... but to constantly repeat the samething by creating a new post on crime when the old ones die out is just tiresome after a while. No?

-NALs
Agree ... what about poverty, child prostitution, teen pregnancy, alcohol abuse, homeless people, high unemployment, poor education system, child hunger, ..... :ermm:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I would think crime and drug discussions keep coming up because those topics are so important to folks.
I used to think that too.

However, I thought such topics would wind down when the sticky on how to be safe in the DR was posted, unless something really bad happened like a DR1er being murdered or something.

I mean, that sticky about how to be safe gives all the information on what anyone can do in the DR to NOT be a victim of crime. Since its a sticky (not going anywhere) and its good information people can use, what is the purpose of threads like this one? Especially since such subject has been discussed already multiple times? What's new to say about this since everything that could be said has been said already?

Oh well, we're going on a tangent so let's get back to topic.

So drugs are all over the DR but AZB has yet to see any.... go on....

-NALs

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
crime threads!

Indeed. I am for sure tired of all these crime threads. Let me give you a tongue-in-cheeck caricature of well-known DR1 posters view on crime ... (This is a joke, don't take it personally!)

Nals - there is no crime, and if there was crime, it is bound to be worse somewhere else
Mountainfrog - wailing - why do all my crime threads get deleted?
Vince-something-jumping bunny - a link to the latest crime report on dominicantoday .. dot .. com.
Lambada - now pay attention here, this is a news report. We have to all pay attention as it affects our lives and well-being.
Rocky - crime has not increased - I heard of the same number of crimes many years ago
Hillbilly - the statistics show something else (but, Annie, get y'r gun!)
Chiri - feed the hungry and look after the poor and this will have some effect on crime!
Chris - the statistics lie! thinking madly in the background .. focus on prevention! focus on prevention! (knowing 4 people affected by crime last year)
The general population - my aunts first cousin's third brother was broken into last night!
A newish poster - the reps are lying to the AI tourists and this is a crime!
The general population - something must be done! How about killing all the generals!
AZB - it is because you hang out with North Coast hookers and lowlifes!
CCCcccc - don't leave your house alone and lock all the closets and cupboards!

And the person who started this thread to my knowledge, has not had much input in most crime threads lately....

Feel free to add to my caricature ;) (how do you spell that word anyways!)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chris, you forgot my obligatory and gratuitous link to the recipe I think they should be fed. :D