Drug Trafficking in The DR

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I would think crime and drug discussions keep coming up because those topics are so important to folks.

And I think we also reflect the local population's concern and not knowing what to do about it. We've all seen it years ago in our countries of origin but not at the speed it happened here. In the space of what, maybe 4/5 years, drugs are in every town & almost in every hamlet in DR. That is fast. Probably in the bigger picture legalising, as you suggest, is the way to go to remove profit motive; I'm not absolutely convinced of this. But what I'm sure of is that there is sufficient 'organised crime' here that if you take drugs out of the equation something else will fill its place. And I don't think you will be taking drugs out of the equation unless you have dictatorial rule and law enforcement too terrified to put a foot wrong.

Nice one Chris but Lambada's should read 'You WILL pay attention' :laugh:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Probably in the bigger picture legalising, as you suggest, is the way to go to remove profit motive; I'm not absolutely convinced of this. But what I'm sure of is that there is sufficient 'organised crime' here that if you take drugs out of the equation something else will fill its place. And I don't think you will be taking drugs out of the equation unless you have dictatorial rule and law enforcement too terrified to put a foot wrong.
I'm not absolutely convinced, either. I AM convinced that what we have now is unacceptable. After a couple of gazillion $$$ on this "War on Drugs" here's what we have to show for it: futureless children, government corruption at every level across the planet, cultures that have lost (or losing, as in the DR) their soul to this poison, prisons filled to the brim from drug crimes...with no end in sight.

Time to shift the paradigms. Legalize drugs now. Make them cheap. Give unfettered access to the morons who want them. Pay for their rehab if they really want off of them. If not, encourage them to use...and die...reducing the scum population by yet another loser.

Time to cull the herd.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Drugs will cease to be a problem once it will cease to be that huge money-maker it is today.

High-ranking police, military, and prominent politicians are making sooooooo much money from drug-trade, that they absolutely don't want it to stop. They'd rather put the blame on a dead fiscal in Sosua, or anything else...

Oh, yes, sorry, can't talk about drugs or crime, because Nals is bored, he said we are always repeating the same stuff over and over...

Hey, Nals, just stick to the Sankie section of the board, so you don't have to read what some posters (who actually spent decades of their life living on this island) are reporting...

Nals, if you think it is irrelevant to post about drugs or crime on a DR related forum in 2007, well, then I don't know what to tell you...

You just sound so patronizing, do you think you are way above the rest of us, or what ?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have a lot of time for the legalisation argument - the only thing is that it would have to be legalised everywhere along the chain of supply, wouldn't it?

Squat - NALs is way above the rest of us, on another planet. :D

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Squat - NALs is way above the rest of us, on another planet. :D

To Nals, I am sorry that I have been a bit harsh on my last post, don't take it too seriously, as I consider all dr1ers as friends...

:)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Perhaps the tendency for crime threads to return again and again is just venting against the rapid change this nation has seen recently. It is growing up and growing up fast. The sleepy Hipolito days feel long gone. Some of us don't want to see the country grow up. The change is difficult for some. Crime is just part of the rapid change. Timing of Leonels return to power followed on the heels of 911. They both brought big changes. Focus on crime instead of the positives is just the way some react. I am just as responsible of doing this as the next person...although...in 2006 I was victim of two crimes. Face it...more money means you will see more crime.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am somehow torn between cobraboy and AZB's ideas. i'd legalize drugs and provide no help whatsoever for those morons who take dope save for the last free shot that will put them out of their misery forever.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Drug bust in Puerto Plata

SANTO DOMINGO.- The National Drug Control Agency (DNCD) has discovered a consignment of 22.39kgs of cocaine or heroin in small packets, while it was being smuggled out of the country apparently with the cooperation of airport employees.

El Nacional, la voz de todos

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I thought this thread was dead a while back. I was in The DR for the last few weeks and didn't checked in much...

I would like to say that for some people to deny that the drug problem is affecting the whole country is just to have their head buried in the sand not wanting to see reality. Others talk about how this threads are brought up by people who don't live there...again trying to divert from the real issues.

Let me say that even though I don't currently live in The DR I was born and grew up there, own my house (which has been broken into a couple of times), most of my family still lives there and visit every couple of months so I'm keenly aware of everything that's going on. In addition most of you guys who post here only know The DR of the last few years and only a small piece of The DR. You didn't live there 15-20 years ago, so you have no clue how the country has changed during that time.

You don't have to associate with drug dealers or users to be affected by it. That is very short sighted...

The DR used to be one of the safest countries. Crime was relegated to petty theft. Drugs were taboo...they are not anymore. As I mentioned in another thread the difference between a junkie and any other regular thief is that the junkie will do whatever to whomever in order to get that next high...