duck recipes needed

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Five in a pot? You are not talking duck.

not five in a pot at the same time, sorry for not being clear enough. my pressure cooker can hold 2 or maybe 3 tops (chopped). the only one that is frozen as a separate entity is about a size of a chicken. not very big. smaller than ducks i know from home.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hey dv8. Gaby says you're correct that the local ducks are "durissimo" was the term used. She goes on to explain that they used a "fogon" in the Campo which is a clay oven that is used to cook in. The duck spiced however you would want (she said onions,peppers, cilantro, ajo, salsa Chino , sour orange, and some water) goes into the caldra and sits in the fagon. I asked how she would cook it now, and she said same way but use a pressure cooker the duck and finish it off in the caldera on the stove. BTW, she likes duck and has duck if available when we're out to dinner. Good luck.*

thanks, great advice. so, an hour in pressure cooker and then finished off in caldero? i have one that can hold the same capacity as the pressure cooker. used it today to make beef bourguignon. just 2.5 hours of my work and eaten within 20 minutes :tired:

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I want photo's. I want the ducks that you are stuffing 5 at a time into POT with no respect.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I want photo's. I want the ducks that you are stuffing 5 at a time into POT with no respect.

they are frozen solid and clumped together. this is the only one that exists as an individual entity and no, i am not taking it out:

2dl29w9.jpg

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
at this point i know that you are expecting somebody to ask how many Dominican ducks you have cooked.

No kidding. I once picked up a couple of ducks off a local butcher's yard in Santiago (they caught and killed them for me right there so the meat was as fresh as it could be) and hoped to make some version of chinese roasted duck, which I am a big fan of - yep, following some recipes of the internet. The bastards had like 1% body fat so the end result wasn't even close to what I'd expected. I have no idea how to cook them Dominican ducks but I don't think roasting it is.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No kidding. I once picked up a couple of ducks off a local butcher's yard in Santiago (they caught and killed them for me right there so the meat was as fresh as it could be) and hoped to make some version of chinese roasted duck, which I am a big fan of - yep, following some recipes of the internet. The bastards had like 1% body fat so the end result wasn't even close to what I'd expected. I have no idea how to cook them Dominican ducks but I don't think roasting it is.

if you have to tenderize them by leaving them in a pressure cooker for an hour, i wonder what is the point..

MOL

Mar 2, 2015
I've had duck many times in Canada, and the only way I like it is done is cut up small and fried hot in a pan and use lots of Currie.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
About 20 years ago I was in a fancy restaurant with one of our celebrity chefs. I order duck breast. Only ever had confit or duck l'orange. When I saw the quivering raw flesh I merely asked if they would run it under the broiler as I don't find raw poultry appetizing. The chef came out to berate me. Love me some duck. Orignally from Long Island which was the center of the US duck farming. Mostly all gone now. Stunk to high heaven, the duck farms did.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
pressure cooker it is, then ( i don't have have slow cooker). got plenty of time and can even do the cooking over 2 days (there's seven of them birds, i think, for some of them are frozen together, it's hard to tell).

pressure cooker is big enough to fit maybe two or three birds in one go, depending how i chop them. how long should it take? i looked at other recipes and they suggest at least one hour cooking time, with some browning and boiling done before. how much liquid should i use? just enough to cover the meat or more?

i was also thinking of doing some in the oven, 2-3 hours should do it and at least i will be able to check doneness as i go.

when should i defrost the birds? you think overnight is better, seeing that the nights are kinda cool now? or it's better to take them out friday morning, defrost throughout the day, marinade for the night and then start cooking on saturday?

i don't even think i have that much fridge space but i can work things out.

You know,just defrost them overnight in the refrigator. Next day just dry them off the ice and marinate them with ginger garlic paste, some chinola juice, salt and pepper, thyme. Leave them for 6 to 8 hours and then slow cook them for atleast 2 hours on low flame or in the oven with some pomme de terre charlotte, onions, carrots and brussel sprouts for an hour, add some red wine 45 mins into cooking and you got yourself some dinner.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hey dv8. Gaby says you're correct that the local ducks are "durissimo" was the term used. She goes on to explain that they used a "fogon" in the Campo which is a clay oven that is used to cook in. The duck spiced however you would want (she said onions,peppers, cilantro, ajo, salsa Chino , sour orange, and some water) goes into the caldra and sits in the fagon. I asked how she would cook it now, and she said same way but use a pressure cooker the duck and finish it off in the caldera on the stove. BTW, she likes duck and has duck if available when we're out to dinner. Good luck.*

Now that you mention it - yes, the clay clloker is what we used for game in Canada.
Pheasant, duck , goose......
Was a fashionable way to cook/stew back years ago.
S\Made great food.

How do you say.... Ouuuh? Pressure cooker with the foul sitting ontop of all the grease and goop. NONONONO.

I too have hunted for over many years. pheasant is a very dry meat so takes some care. Alligator is easy after you learn to take it and skin it. Money no one really cares since they are rude and just get rid of them. True.
Sunny Solar,
The game here is starved... dry, tough, not like what you / I might remember from Canada where a bird would be plump and ready for the flight south.

A good goose breast was just sizzled - touched on the grill each side for a minute or som- perfect.
Tasted like steak.
We halved them (scallopine style) to do that.
Near Lake St Clair..... the Indians taught us.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks for all advice, guys. i decided to do both pressure cooker and slow roast in the oven (at worst that could be finished off in the pressure cooker as well).
i will post pictures and details.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
slight setback in my plans.

after defrosting the large mass of meat turned out that there are five ducks altogether, plus a bag of "guts" (hearts, stomachs and all that jazz). worse still, they've been scalped and have no skin all all.

three of them took all night to defrost, defrosting the other two now. from the first defrosted batch i chopped up two (for the pressure cooker) and left one intact (will try it in the oven). i took necks and backbone to make broth. after few hours in a marinade of herbs and red wine i am browning the cut up duck, will then add a mix of broth, wine and spices and put them in a pressure cooker. the other one will be stuffed with apples and onions and then baked in the oven (i'm a woman of leisure, i have all day).

in the meanwhile i prepared a bizcocho base for tiramisu layer cake and i baked polish style nutella cheesecake. somehow i also found time to make eggplant parmigiana for lunch.

upwards and forwards!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sounds like my chivo recipe.

Careful with the oven duck...easy does it 

Let us know 

Humidity, no drying out the 🍖 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
success on both pressure cooker and oven attempt: meat is falling off the bones.

now a major issue: how to store cooked ducks? both batches were cooked in broth and wine and there is a lot of liquid left. i want to keep it to make gravy tomorrow. should i just spread the ducks in an aluminium tray, along with the sauce and put them in the fridge until tomorrow? all of the liquid? only some with the duck meat and the rest in a jar for future use?

the one baked in the oven smells extra delish. i baked it with broth, wine, onions and garlic; stuffed with apples and mandarins; brushed with plum jam every time i turned it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes and would keep sauce on them to keep moist. If too much liquid keep for duck stock later.

Mat

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks, that's what i did. cut up pieces are in a pan with most of the sauce, whole roasted is in a pan with some sauce and leftover cooked onions covering it from the top. the rest of liquids are reserved for gravy and more cooking tomorrow. whatever little is left is in the pot on the stove top, as it does not fit in the fridge. dogs will have it tomorrow.