EDEESTE Santo Domingo Este: Electricity Outage & Restoration Announcements.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
We're close. Mine is a 2.6 with 4.

Having the generator is icing on the cake.

If the batteries get a little low the generator kicks in and runs the entire house while the batteries recharge.
We're all close I have a Trace SW4024 -- 4kW with 4 batteries -- and a Honda EX4000 converted to propane in my back shed. Also auto starts when battery depleted close to 50%. This is what makes living in the DR easy. One more thing is a good water solution. I have a ~3,200 gallons cistern with 750 gallons of rooftop tinacos (500 + 250) with a Myers 3/4 horse shallow well pump. Life in DR is a-ok and sometime great.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Aug 12, no luz since a bit after 1 and counting. The website said down for maintenance from 920AM to 120PM. Hoping we get it back by 530.

Looked at the schedule for next week. It don't look good for BC.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
We lost juice at 1040AM. I checked the maintenance schedule and it appears to say we're off between 1020 and 1420. I hope that's right. I'm going to make coffee using the battery and it makes me nervous.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
We lost juice at 1040AM. I checked the maintenance schedule and it appears to say we're off between 1020 and 1420. I hope that's right. I'm going to make coffee using the battery and it makes me nervous.
Almost as soon as I typed this the lights came back on. Go figger. (y)

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Actually, I cook with gas in the kitchen but I would switch to an induction cooktop if electricity was more reliable on my "24/7" Edeeste circuit.
I have seen videos on youtube of those operating off grid using induction cooktops. But all the demonstrations I have seen have been run strictly off of solar and I need more information on how it would tax the batteries (lead acid) I use with my back up system. Not worth the chance to make the switch right now.
It would be nice if Edeeste could actually keep the power on 24/7 at least on the circuits they claim that is the case.

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
Actually, I cook with gas in the kitchen but I would switch to an induction cooktop if electricity was more reliable on my "24/7" Edeeste circuit.
I have seen videos on youtube of those operating off grid using induction cooktops. But all the demonstrations I have seen have been run strictly off of solar and I need more information on how it would tax the batteries (lead acid) I use with my back up system. Not worth the chance to make the switch right now.
It would be nice if Edeeste could actually keep the power on 24/7 at least on the circuits they claim that is the case.
Didn't you say you had a generator?

Why would you prefer Induction? I have zero experience with it.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Didn't you say you had a generator?
I did say that.
The generator does not run for free.
And you put 130% into your batteries to received 100%
There are losses with electrical generation, transmission and storage no matter how you slice it.
It is advanced physics (and I got my worst grades in my pre-engineering class in electromagnetism).
Why would you prefer Induction? I have zero experience with it.
It eliminates one use of propane.
And it is insanely efficient.