El Seibo, Miches ,Temptations and Club Med Miches.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
This week I was invited to a meeting held at the Temptations Resort at Miches and so I decided to drive there from La Romana via Guaymarte ,El Seibo, Miches and then back via Higuey. This area is probably unknown to most readers but here are my impressions.
From la Romana to the Higuey -El Seibo Road, driving was easy although the road was busy as much sugar cane is being harvested at present. From then on to El Seibo,the road has become a large collection of holes and most cars were traveling at less than 40 klms per hour. The entire area is bone dry with not a blade of green grass and cattle and horses with their ribs clearly showing , not just brown but a black brown. I have never seen this part of the country so dry. Having gone through the hill town of El Seibo ,I set off along the road that crosses the Cordillera Oriental ignoring a sign that advised me to go back .This twisty and turning road up and down steep hills is in appalling condition with potholes 2 feet deep and parts of the road completely washed away and I met only two vehicles in the 40 plus kilometres . Definitely not for the low slung car.
Miches is a town on the Samana Bay that along with Sabana de la Mar just further north is very Dominican with very few foreigners to be seen .It is a fishing town with a few agricultural supply stores and at the best it could be described as poor and poorly maintained. Just out of Miches is the new Temptations Resort and housing development and some 20 kilometres along the water front going towards Bavaro is the Club Med Hotel. These two properties are more than 100 kilometres from the Punta Cana airport but the road is in superb condition, thanks to the demands on the Government made by Gustavo Cisneros.
I had a leisurely look around Temptations and had a light lunch there and although the landscaping is still a long way to go the place looked very nice in a very modern way. it reminded me of a few Novotel Hotels in Asia with so many bright colours. All the staff were all good looking,
and very young, quite a lot younger than the guests and all seemed to be Dominican. The beach is not quite as nice as the beaches further towards Bavaro but I could not help wondering if people would not get rather bored there although I was told that there were regular shows.
I then went on to the Club Med at Playa Esmeralda with a feeble excuse that I wanted to book in for Easter.It is much better groomed than Temptations and the position and the bay and the kilometres of empty beach make it very appealing .It is not five star because the furnishings are rather ordinary and the two rooms that I was shown were very comfortable but not luxurious . Again, all the staff I met spoke excellent Spanish although I was expecting to see some french speaking Haitians there ,being Club Med. I saw many people riding horses and playing various games but the overriding impression was one of natural surroundings . It reminded me a little of the beach at Sosua and Playa Grande 20 years ago with all the palm trees close to the water.
Higuey . I returned to la Romana along the beautiful Samana -Sabana de la Mar road to the turn off at the petrol service station and then the back road to Higuey . Last September there was a thread about the bridge at Otra Banda being swept away and I can report that absolutely nothing has been done to replace it . There is a dangerous unmarked detour that can not take trucks but that would not be usable in wet weather. Higuey never changes much and has a well deserved reputation for breeding the most lunatical drivers in the DR.
As I was driving back I thought of the crazy idea to build an international airport at Miches. It would have destroyed the entire atmosphere of seclusion and privacy . I am glad we got that right.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I wonder what will happen to these small communities that are becoming more isolated every year. The roads are impassable for many cars and at the current rate of deterioration will be impassable for small buses very soon . The road between the city of Higuey and the large town of El Seibo, an important route for agricultural products and for people is a dreadful mess and there are fincas for sale every where. El Seibo is becoming isolated just as Sabana de la Mar has been for years. The road to from Sabana to Hato Mayor is dangerous and in a shocking state and has been that way for years. Money is being spent in the tourist areas and the major cities but the small towns in the El Seibo and Hato Mayor provinces are being totally ignored.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
"This week I was invited to a meeting held at the Temptations Resort at Miches"

I'm curious to know what meeting you were invited to attend.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Some people are trying to put together a package to rescue a real estate project near Miches. I think I was invited as I had been several times to the Esmeralda project that the Cisneros family spent so much money on. I had my name registered many years ago somewhere.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Some people are trying to put together a package to rescue a real estate project near Miches. I think I was invited as I had been several times to the Esmeralda project that the Cisneros family spent so much money on. I had my name registered many years ago somewhere.
That's a surprise! They are pushing it as a swingers resort which is the same as their other resorts. It's interesting they also have business meetings.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I suppose that if you actually had been to Miches and had seen the town and the entire Temptations project which is more than the hotel building , as well as the adjoining apartment projects, you would understand it better.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I suppose that if you actually had been to Miches and had seen the town and the entire Temptations project which is more than the hotel building , as well as the adjoining apartment projects, you would understand it better.
I agree. The publicity they sent out is geared towards the party folks for sure.

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So how would one GET to Miches? When I was there there was a ferry from Samana... Still running? Seems that the overland route is going to make it inaccessible for foreign guests unless the resort provides some sort of shuttle from the airport?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So how would one GET to Miches? When I was there there was a ferry from Samana... Still running? Seems that the overland route is going to make it inaccessible for foreign guests unless the resort provides some sort of shuttle from the airport?
Real simple with the new road from PUJ. It takes less than an hour from Central Bavaro to Miches on a new highway. From the airport about an hour and 15 minutes. No ferry and no going other ways. This road was built for this.............

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Mountainannie ..strangely I have been reading some of your postings from more than 15 years ago in relation to the border areas . You may recall that one of the conditions that Gustavo Cisneros made before investing much money in the Miches area , although his Esmeralda place is quite some way from Miches, was that the Government build a road from Bavaro to Miches but it was extended to Sabana de la mar .It is high quality road built by Odebrecht, by passing numerous little towns but dreadful little developments are already making the trip less appealing . The excellent paving is also littered by those Policia Acostado bumps.That is the way most people get to Miches and the only way from Punta Cana airport . I think the travel time is closer to one and a half hours and then another half hour or so to Sabana . If you are coming from the capital , say SDQ airport, by far the quickest way used to be to turn off the Autopista outside of La Romana and take the road through the cane fields to Guaymarte and then the historic town of El Seibo and then across the Cordilleras to Miches but the road is not suitable for buses because of land slides that occurred some 6 years ago. Like you ,I am surprised that both Temptations and Club Med built so far away from the airport . Miches is not very nice but Sabana de la Mar has a certain charm and of course is near the entry to the National Park. The road from Sabana de la Mar to Hato Mayor is atrocious which is a pity because an lternative route from the capital would be turn off the Autopista at San Pedro and go to Hato Mayor ,Saban and then Miches.
You asked about the ferry from Sabana de la Mar across the bay to Samana..yes .It is still running and takes an hour or so to cross the Bay .

Reactions: colmcb

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
My thoughts of road travel in the (insert emoji for the flag of the Dominican Republic here)

It pretty much (insert emoji for profanity here)

The destinations have been wonderful.
But the drive to get to the different places not so much.

I would prefer to take a regional jet (not to be confused with a private jet)

SDQ - POP
SDQ - AZS
SDQ - BRX
SDQ - Pedernales

The only road trips I enjoy are the ones to La Romana and Punta Cana.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My thoughts of road travel in the (insert emoji for the flag of the Dominican Republic here)

It pretty much (insert emoji for profanity here)

The destinations have been wonderful.
But the drive to get to the different places not so much.

I would prefer to take a regional jet (not to be confused with a private jet)

SDQ - POP
SDQ - AZS
SDQ - BRX
SDQ - Pedernales

The only road trips I enjoy are the ones to La Romana and Punta Cana.

I love driving to various locations in DR, we like to take our time and stop along the way at roadside stands, restaurants, businesses. We poke our noses into viveros in the middle of nowhere, and find amazing things to plant (we once found fig trees, but they didn’t survive, we suspect our caretaker didn’t water them once we left). Woven baskets from a guy walking down a roadside in La Romana, pottery/planters up Duarte Highway outside Santiago, roadside chiccharrones, all kinds of flavored cassava in Moncion, ladies sitting outside at a table with a big pot of habichuelas con dulce, etc etc etc. The “getting there” is sometimes better than the destination.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We are planning to go visit Hato Mayor simply because we haven't been there. Hope the roads are passable. My Subara Forrester has good ground clearance but isn't built for really rough roads.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I used to ride motorbikes all over Europe years ago, now I just do all sorts of other road trips including El Seibo to Pedro Sanches and Miches.

Image # 02009.jpg

I like the way they paint their house. At the top of the mountains between Pedro Sanches and Miches.
Image # 02010.jpg

Image # 02011.jpg

Images from a few years ago last trip across houses where repainted.

Image # 02012.jpg

Samana in the background.

The road from Pedro Sanches to Miches is not a highway for sure, but a nice trip.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
tht, thank you, yes, that view as you reach the peak of the cordillera is very special . In the east ,at least, the various little hamlets are very quaint and the donkey or small poney is still very common transport. That road from El Seibo to the Pueblito of Pedro Sanchez is ok for motor bikes during the day time . Some years ago ,I posted a trip report that included the town of Hato Mayor which now has a very large population of students studying at a branch of the University in San Pedro. The road to Hato Mayor from San Pedro is in good condition but with much motor bike traffic. Similarly, the road from El Seibo is ok . However ,the road from Sabana de la Mar is a disaster and the road from Bayaguana is in very poor condition which is a pity because that meets up with the tollway to the Samana tollway

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
....the road from Sabana de la Mar is a disaster....

Typo on my side Pedro Sanchez with z not s.

Hato Mayor to Sabana de la Mar is in really bad condition and getting worse. Alternative route from San Pedro to Hato Mayor is to Ramon Santana and the dirt road from Ramon Santana. Perhaps not for street cars, need some space underneath. I've met groups of mountain bikers on that road a few times, no tourists.

Reactions: Kipling333