El Seibo, Miches ,Temptations and Club Med Miches.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When you travel on roads where there are houses without a power line in sight and kerosine refrigerators in small colmados you know you're in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: thompstr

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
tht ..is the road from Ramon Santana to Hato Mayor the one that crosses the Rio Soco without a bridge just outside Ramon Santana ,,there are often people swimming there . I went a few kilometres along that road and turned back although I saw two wrecks of guaguas tackling the road. It is sugar cane country.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
tht ..is the road from Ramon Santana to Hato Mayor the one that crosses the Rio Soco without a bridge just outside Ramon Santana ,,there are often people swimming there . I went a few kilometres along that road and turned back although I saw two wrecks of guaguas tackling the road. It is sugar cane country.
Same road from Ramon Santana, but you turn left before the downhill before the river crossing. I've seen people on foot and horses crossing the river, but the river is too deep for a vehicle. Just before the downhill turn left and continue on the dirt road.

Feb 16, 2016
-
One 100w solar panel will produce power for 20 years then a 10% - 30% decrease in efficiency.

I am sorry my superior intellect (insert picture of a big mind) bothers you so much.

But in this case I am speaking from experience.
That why college degrees are fake.
Because the teachers are fake.
Those who can..do.
Those who can't teach.
Exception: Flight instructors

I am speaking from experience.
Living in campo
I have provided my electricity needs with one 110w solar panel for 4 months.
I set the system myself.
And in fact as I type this post I am using electricity being generated from the panel (insert the "batteries are full" emoji here).

Now, I am not going to engage in the economics or costs of my system.
Individuals

But don't sit there with your college degrees and try to tell me what can and cannot be done with solar panel experience with a single KWH of experiences with them. I stand by my statement. Having lived it.
In remote areas of (insert flag of Dominican Republic flag emoji here) solar panels would help immensely.
Insert the ("I am tired of replying to dumb *** posts emoji here)

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
One 100w solar panel will produce power for 20 years then a 10% - 30% decrease in efficiency.

I am sorry my superior intellect (insert picture of a big mind) bothers you so much.

But in this case I am speaking from experience.
That why college degrees are fake.
Because the teachers are fake.
Those who can..do.
Those who can't teach.
Exception: Flight instructors

I am speaking from experience.
Living in campo
I have provided my electricity needs with one 110w solar panel for 4 months.
I set the system myself.
And in fact as I type this post I am using electricity being generated from the panel (insert the "batteries are full" emoji here).

Now, I am not going to engage in the economics or costs of my system.
Individuals

But don't sit there with your college degrees and try to tell me what can and cannot be done with solar panel experience with a single KWH of experiences with them. I stand by my statement. Having lived it.

Insert the ("I am tired of replying to dumb *** posts emoji here)
One 110 watt panel? No connection to grid? You just have about three light bulbs and no fridge?

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have driven through remote areas.
I do not like doing that.
But the thoughts that goes through my mind are always: "How do people make money here? How do they survive?"
And yet they do.

Some of ya think I don't live in the Dominican Republic or that I don't know what "time it is" in the Dominican Republic.
I actually know far more than I would have liked to have learned had I been in full control of my circumstances.
But be that as it may. All knowledge is good knowledge.

Keep smiling at each other, slapping each other on the back and laughing.
I'll just keep posting until I get banned for life.
Then everyone (at least mostly everyone will be happy again).

Exactly what is "too poor".
That is a soft, undefined expression.
Put a number on it.
And make it real!

I live in campo.
Ensuring a reliable water is much harder and requires a great deal more infrastructure investment than solar panels to generate electricity.
I doubt most people commenting on what I wrote even know how much a 100w solar panel costs.
Let alone how to set it up to charge a battery (insert the "you need a solar controller" emoji here)
Calculate the amount of power you have available in your battery.
Then control your usage of that available power to meet your needs.
And monitor that usage so you don't draw your battery too much and damage it.

Nah...it is much easier for most people to flip a switch...be aware of nothing and get a factura each month and complain about it on DR! (insert the "ROTHFLMAO" emoji here)

I have an expression...old tech, is new tech when you have no tech.
In the many years I have lived in the Dominican Republic I have been amazed at how people get by on so little money.
Necessity is the mother of all invention.
One 110 watt panel?
That is exactly what I wrote.
No connection to grid?
Once again...a brilliant deduction. That is correct.
You just have about three light bulbs and no fridge?
On that you are inaccurate.
But it does share insight on how the rich gringos who populate DR1 think.

Start a thread on personal solar power generation and I will participate in it.
It would seem you have a thing or two to learn from me.
All of you...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Whoa! To each his own.

I agree with your comment "How do people make money here? How do they survive?"

It used to run through my mind many times during my explorer years. I'd be driving on a trail up a mountain, and out of no where a village of 5-10 shacks/homes would show up in front of me.

I'd often stop for a cold beer out of a kerosine refrigerator and talk to the folks, and would always walk away later impressed on how nice they were and how they treated each other. I saw many times when someone would come in with a burlap bag of fruit or vegetables, and get other supplies in exchange.

Life at one of it's simplest forms.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
But the thoughts that goes through my mind are always: "How do people make money here? How do they survive?"
And yet they do.

Some of ya think I don't live in the Dominican Republic or that I don't know what "time it is" in the Dominican Republic.
I actually know far more than I would have liked to have learned had I been in full control of my circumstances.

Put a number on it.
And make it real!

I live in campo.
Ensuring a reliable water is much harder and requires a great deal more infrastructure investment than solar panels to generate electricity.
I doubt most people commenting on what I wrote even know how much a 100w solar panel costs.
Let alone how to set it up to charge a battery (insert the "you need a solar controller" emoji here)

Nah...it is much easier for most people to flip a switch...be aware of nothing and get a factura each month and complain about it on DR! (insert the "ROTHFLMAO" emoji here)

In the many years I have lived in the Dominican Republic I have been amazed at how people get by on so little money.

All of you...
And yet they do.

Put a number on it.
And make it real!

I live in campo.

All of you...
I am not smiling or laughing or patting anybody on the back I am just asking you a question. Unless you have a lithium battery, you will not have much power throughout the night. You would need full strong sun, the entire day to power anything other Than the charge controller to recharge the battery so you have electricity at night. With only one 110 W panel, You must have a very small fridge and not many lights on at night. If you have a lithium battery, then it will tolerate a deep discharge but if you have lead acid batteries and you are discharging it 100% every night then it is not going to last very long. My point is that not everybody in the Campo can afford to buy a new battery for $200 or more every year.
I am 100% off grid with solar panels and wind turbines. I also do not have water from the street because I have a large cistern. If the system is working for you, that is fantastic. However, I am just questioning the amount of electricity that you use and or produce so that people don’t think they can get one solar panel, and one battery and think they can live comfortably off grid. It is just not practical. Especially if he would like to have a washer, dryer and television water, pump refrigerator etc. etc..

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Whoa! To each his own.

I agree with your comment "How do people make money here? How do they survive?"

It used to run through my mind many times during my explorer years. I'd be driving on a trail up a mountain, and out of no where a village of 5-10 shacks/homes would show up in front of me.

I'd often stop for a cold beer out of a kerosine refrigerator and talk to the folks, and would always walk away later impressed on how nice they were and how they treated each other. I saw many times when someone would come in with a burlap bag of fruit or vegetables, and get other supplies in exchange.

Life at one of it's simplest forms.

A bit off topic but I feel the same way when I'm in SDEste and Parque Enriquillo. I see people selling water or junk just trying to make 25 pesos. It's very sad. Today a guy came on our guagua selling toothbrushes. Older guy and had I thought more about it I would have bought them. They're struggling so much.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas
Feb 16, 2016
-
In remote areas of (insert flag of Dominican Republic flag emoji here) solar panels would help immensely.
I wrote this to say that after having learned how to function using just 110w solar panel to survive that if you don't have access to electricity a 100w solar panel would be very helpful.

Not for a rich gringo
(insert "ya happy now *****" emoji here)

I lived out in campo for 7 days without any electricity at all before setting up my 110w solar panel.
The rich gringos...well they are writing from their viewpoints and experience level.

I am not.
I am writing from experience.
And I also think differently.

And quite honestly.
I have been amazed at what that little panel can do.
And having done what I have done I am simply wondering out loud about what it could do for people who have zero access to electricity.
Keep guessing rich gringos.
About what my little panel can or cannot do.

Start your solar panel generation thread.
I will tell you all about it.
But from what I have seen written...you all ready know.
So no I don't need to tell ya anything.

FYI...
AGM, never discharged greater than 50%
Maybe I just live differently than most rich gringos.

I learned my solar expertise from a man who started out homeless who set things up for his camper as he had no other option.
He parlayed that knowledge into thriving business.
That is why I said I only pay attention to people who speak the the base of real life experience.
What the rich gringos are saying can't be done.
I did!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I wrote this to say that after having learned how to function using just 110w solar panel to survive that if you don't have access to electricity a 100w solar panel would be very helpful.

Not for a rich gringo
(insert "ya happy now *****" emoji here)

I lived out in campo for 7 days without any electricity at all before setting up my 110w solar panel.
The rich gringos...well they are writing from their viewpoints and experience level.

I am not.
I am writing from experience.
And I also think differently.

And quite honestly.
I have been amazed at what that little panel can do.
And having done what I have done I am simply wondering out loud about what it could do for people who have zero access to electricity.
Keep guessing rich gringos.
About what my little panel can or cannot do.

Start your solar panel generation thread.
I will tell you all about it.
But from what I have seen written...you all ready know.
So no I don't need to tell ya anything.

FYI...
AGM, never discharged greater than 50%
Maybe I just live differently than most rich gringos.

I learned my solar expertise from a man who started out homeless who set things up for his camper as he had no other option.
He parlayed that knowledge into thriving business.
That is why I said I only pay attention to people who speak the the base of real life experience.
What the rich gringos are saying can't be done.
I did!
It seems like you want to have a conversation about Solar but then you want to talk about not having electricity at all and then you want to have a conversation but then you don’t because you don’t want to give too much detail but you were interested in having someone else start a thread about Solar so that you can do what? Continue to be vague or provide some actual insight about what you are powering in your house?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I used to ride motorbikes all over Europe years ago, now I just do all sorts of other road trips including El Seibo to Pedro Sanches and Miches.

View attachment 7412
I like the way they paint their house. At the top of the mountains between Pedro Sanches and Miches.
View attachment 7413
View attachment 7414
Images from a few years ago last trip across houses where repainted.

View attachment 7415
Samana in the background.

The road from Pedro Sanches to Miches is not a highway for sure, but a nice trip.
Agree ,the vista from the highest point of road trip from El Seibo to Miches is awesome.

Regards,
PJT

Reactions: bob saunders

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Are some of the vistas higher than Montaña Redonda?
They are about the same but as the various vistas along the El Seibo to Miches road are further west you get a view directly above the town of Miches across the Samana bay to Samana . The vistas on the road from Miches to Sabana e la Mar are stunning but from a much lower height.