Electric Cars in the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
September 5, 2022

At 50:50 he mentions (in Spanish but CC in English can be activated) that Evergo is:

- A Dominican company.
- The DR is already in third place for electric vehicle penetration in Latin America.
- Already expanded to other countries such as Jamaica.
- Going to further expand including a large Latin American country.
- They are also looking at Europe and North America for further expansion.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
After owing 2 BMW's I am totally convinced that the letters BMW are a German acronym for " builds really shifty cars" or we can go with the American acronym of Bring Mechanic With you.
I have owned around 200 cars and BMW is without a doubt the worst piece of crap on the road. A really pretty car but totally unreliable.

Reactions: SKY and JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
After owing 2 BMW's I am totally convinced that the letters BMW are a German acronym for " builds really shifty cars" or we can go with the American acronym of Bring Mechanic With you.
I have owned around 200 cars and BMW is without a doubt the worst piece of crap on the road. A really pretty car but totally unreliable.
Could not agree more. I had one and lived in the dealership with repairs. Got rid of it quickly. And in the DR would be much worse for parts, repairs, etc............For reliability you cannot go wrong with Japanese cars............

Reactions: melphis
Jan 9, 2004
September 5, 2022

At 50:50 he mentions (in Spanish but CC in English can be activated) that Evergo is:

- A Dominican company.
- The DR is already in third place for electric vehicle penetration in Latin America.
- Already expanded to other countries such as Jamaica.
- Going to further expand including a large Latin American country.
- They are also looking at Europe and North America for further expansion.

Not to be confused with EVgo, a NASDAQ listed company who is second in commercial charging stations in the US.

They will need deep deep pockets to compete in either Europe or North America.

As to BMW electrics in the DR.................few and far between. Much too high a price point and they have little name recognition (the EV models)........at least at this point.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Today is the "Autoferia Popular Eco Day."

45 hybrid and electric cars are on sale at the Autoferia Popular with the following preferential interest rates (up to 90% of the cost of the vehicle can be financed by Banco Popular) that can be had only at this event:

• 7.75% for six months
  • 9.75% for one year.
  • 11.15% for two years.
  • 12.95% for three years.
  • 13.95% for five years.

In addition, the first 100 buyers of hybrids or electric cars today at Autoferia Popular will get free charges of 1,500 kilometers at Evergo charging stations, plus a discount if getting an Evergo home charger installation.

Banco Popular has more thsn RD$1,020 million destined to finance new hybrids or electric cars in this event (about RD$2.9 million per vehicle.) While the purpose of Autoferia Popular is to sell new cars, this also allows people to get in the cars on display without having to buy. You essentially get to see and feel in person the various new cars on the Dominican market. In the event you can't do a test drive though.

While today they are doing an emphasis on hybrid and electric vehicles, the Autoferia Popular will continue until Sunday, December 4.

This is on page 16 of today's El Caribe newspaper.

BAF83495-5558-4C96-9AB4-45B898389421.jpeg

A news report of Autoferia Popular a few years ago selling almost RD$5 billion in new cars in 4 days.

Last edited:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
For the first time I saw an electric car in Las Galeras yesterday. Does anyone know how much it cost to fully charge a car in the Dominican Republic?

Jan 9, 2004
For the first time I saw an electric car in Las Galeras yesterday. Does anyone know how much it cost to fully charge a car in the Dominican Republic?
Take the size of the battery (measured in kwh) in the EV and multiply it by your cost of a kwh of electricity from your electricity provider.

The vehicles with which I am most familiar, having brought in over two dozen......... is the Nissan Leaf. Their batteries are either 40 or 62 kwh. You then multiply the battery size by the cost per kwh charged by your electric company and you will have the cost to fully charge an empty battery.

If you opt to have a Level 2 charger as opposed to a straight plug in to your home wall outlet, you will then need to do further calculations to determine if it is cost effective for you based on your useage.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Take the size of the battery (measured in kwh) in the EV and multiply it by your cost of a kwh of electricity from your electricity provider.

The vehicles with which I am most familiar, having brought in over two dozen......... is the Nissan Leaf. Their batteries are either 40 or 62 kwh. You then multiply the battery size by the cost per kwh charged by your electric company and you will have the cost to fully charge an empty battery.

If you opt to have a Level 2 charger as opposed to a straight plug in to your home wall outlet, you will then need to do further calculations to determine if it is cost effective for you based on your useage.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Thanks for the info. I will run the numbers. What I meant to ask was, how much do they charge at one of the charging stations in Samaná? I think there are 3 or 4. Since some may have electric supplied by EdeNorte, and some by Luz y Fuerza, I assume there would be a big difference in price.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Thanks for the info. I will run the numbers. What I meant to ask was, how much do they charge at one of the charging stations in Samaná? I think there are 3 or 4. Since some may have electric supplied by EdeNorte, and some by Luz y Fuerza, I assume there would be a big difference in price.
If I understand you correctly, 62 x 17 pesos per kw is 1054 pesos or about $20 USD? That seems inexpensive, but it may only give you three hours of driving time. Is my math correct?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That sounds extremely cheap to me. Most of these EV's seem to have a 300 mile range. Assuming you have a car that gets 30 miles/gal, you'd have to buy 10 gallons of gas at 274 pesos/gal. to go 300 miles. That would be 2740 pesos if my math and assumptions are right(?). I'm paying around 12 pesos/kWh, so only around 700 pesos to fully charge.

Jan 9, 2004
If I understand you correctly, 62 x 17 pesos per kw is 1054 pesos or about $20 USD? That seems inexpensive, but it may only give you three hours of driving time. Is my math correct?

Yes.

Many of the newer larger EV’s have larger capacity batteries, thus it is more expensive…….but still cheap on a relative basis compared to gasoline.

What also has to be factored in is the cost of your own charging system or the cost to charge elsewhere. Private commercial charging stations would charge not just for the electricity cost per kWh, but also the cost to provide the charging system to the customer and a profit margin.

Your mileage range will vary by make, model, driving habits, battery capacity, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wouldn't it be smarter to "top off" the battery every time you have an opportunity? I sure wouldn't want to run the battery almost all of the way down.
Plus, charging every so often reduces the amount of time it takes to charge.
And what happens when I stop in a charging station in a mall for example, then spend the entire afternoon in the Mall? I've already seen non electric cars parked in charging spots.

Jan 9, 2004
Wouldn't it be smarter to "top off" the battery every time you have an opportunity? I sure wouldn't want to run the battery almost all of the way down.
Plus, charging every so often reduces the amount of time it takes to charge.
And what happens when I stop in a charging station in a mall for example, then spend the entire afternoon in the Mall? I've already seen non electric cars parked in charging spots.

Much like cell phone batteries, topping off EV batteries tends to shorten battery life and is not recommended.

As to non electrics parking in EV charging spaces, hard to change bad behavior whether it is taking a handicapped parking spot or other.

I observed a gentleman at Pricesmart inSantiago take a parking spot designated for someone pregnant. When I pointed to the sign and congratulated him, he just smiled.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Another Autoferia. Another 5500 vehicles sold. Not sure if I believe the numbers but 10 billion?

Loan applications exceed 10 billion at Autoferia Popular​

The twenty-seventh edition of the Popular Auto Fair concluded with an amount of 10,349.6 million pesos in loan applications, equivalent to a total of 5,592 new vehicles, of which 6,912 million pesos in loans have already been approved, according to a statement issued by the financial institution.

Jeeps or suburban cars were the most purchased cars, with an average amount of 1.9 million pesos per financed unit, representing 70% of the cars purchased. Meanwhile, the most popular financing term was the seven-year rate.

40-year-olds made up the group that purchased the most cars, followed by those between 25 and 35 years of age.

By gender, men purchased six out of 10 vehicles.

Popular Leasing, as a financing alternative for companies and professionals, obtained requests for 1,600 million pesos in this edition.

Under the campaign slogan "Activate", the Popular Autoferia demonstrated, once again, its ability to contribute to the renewal of the vehicle fleet in the country, marketing new, more modern, safe and efficient units, Banco Popular Dominicana said in a note press.

According to data from the General Directorate of Internal Taxes (DGII), only 10.2% of the vehicles that circulate on the roads of the Dominican Republic are less than five years old.

Sustainable vision in favor of ecomobility

The 2022 edition of the Autoferia Popular was the first automotive fair that offered 45 models of hybrid and electric vehicles, which could be financed with preferential and fixed rates for up to five years, always lower than the rates offered for conventional vehicles.

In addition, a whole day was dedicated to the special promotion of these eco-friendly vehicles, in what was called "Eco Day at the Popular Auto Fair".

On this day, free recharges of 1,500 kilometers in Evergo chargers were awarded to the first 100 buyers of electric vehicles. In addition, there were discounts for those who wanted to install a residential Evergo charger.

Reference in the market

The Executive Vice President of Personal Businesses and Branches, Francisco Ramírez, highlighted the importance of the Popular Auto Fair and its establishment as a benchmark in the market for more than two decades, attributing the success of this edition to the fact that "year after year we have worked passionately to promote the progress of companies, families and individuals, who honor us with their trust”.

He thanked the support that Popular has received continuously from dealers and dealers integrated into the Association of Vehicle Manufacturers Dealers (Acofave) and the United Group of the Automotive Industry of the Dominican Republic (GUIA-RD), which “It has been decisive and is a sample of the great work we have done together.”

Yep, definitely no money in the streets.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another Chinese electric car (HELMARV) has made it to the DR. Apparently, this one stops consuming electricity when you stop except what is needed to keep running the a/c, according to the guy. It has a 4-years warranty as long you don't crash it.

This was uploaded yesterday. Interview done by José Peguero in Santo Domingo.

A nice view of the car inside and out.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The seller driving while talking and demonstrating all of it's features had me winching.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
These cars are great for traffic jams.

Best comment in the video.

LOL! You could use up the whole battery running the A/C in a traffic jam.

Somebody in the comments wrote it costs $22K and that puts it in the "Luxury car" range most people cannot afford.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Playero had not one but two Teslas at the charging station there the other day. Electric vehicles are coming en mass soon whether anybody likes it or not or thinks it is a good idea,the major car companies worldwide are all in.