Emmigrating to the dominican republic ? cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
hey colin, just let me know what time and what place, and I will show up for beer....isn't the first game against the us.....anyway let me know

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Can you get NFL football on cable down there. Nowhere is paradise w/o American football (well except Heaven, of course). Can you purchase NFL ticket?

Aug 21, 2007
NFL- some games- are available on television. Your best bet is to go to a sports bar. Jose O'Shay's is in Cabarete. I bet Ocean Village Sports Bar will show NFL games upon request. Don't know about other bars in Sosua.

If you want to be with fellow Americans, I suggest Jose O'Shay's.

Perhaps online you can purchase an NFL ticket, if your internet service is fast enough to provide good service. Instead, I would suggest Jose O'Shays.

Good luck-
Lindsey

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Hi Hammerdown
From what I've heard, Rocky's in Sosua is the place to be so I shall be there, ENGLISH TIME before kick off as I wouldn't want to miss the first goal we stuff past the Yanks in the first few seconds or any of the other 100 or so that are likely... (That should wind a few people up...!)
And as for NFL - are there enough people interested in it to warrant putting it on TV?? I'm just asking...? (and that should wind up the rest....)

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
In an effort to live up to my "handle" and calling....

Most people who are searching would probably put "Emigrating" instead of "Emmigrating" since even "Colonials" know that there is only one m in the word.
;);)

Well that may be true, but you'll still never hear one of us saying "al-u-MI-ni-um." It's "a-LU-mi-num" no matter how it's spelled. We also "plow" the fields, not "plough." The written word "gaol" simply mystifies most of us while "spending a night in the pokey" makes perfect sense to anyone not from an urban area.

How people learning English overcome such nuances in words such as "tough", "through" and "thought" amazes me. At least in Spanish it's pretty straightforward except for that silent "h" business. There is a funny post here somewhere pointing out some of the other sillyness in the English language.

But not wanting to search for that, I'll link a letter not written by John Cleese:

snopes.com: John Cleese Letter to USA

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks. Not into the bar scene, but definetly want to watch as much football in a season as I can!!

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Hi PeterInBrat

LOVED your post! Of course, the ORIGINAL JC has got it right and has succinctly stated what I have been trying - in vain - to convey throughout this thread!

Interesting to note that you say "How people learning English overcome such nuances...". I am impressed that you understand the word "Nuance" and also pleased to see that you, correctly, refer to the language as ENGLISH - I rest my case!

As atonement for your unwarranted criticism of your mother language, you will learn the correct pronunciation of the following words:-

Bough Cough Dough

Tell you what, win the World Cup at FOOTBALL (which has other countries playing in it) and we'll all learn to speak Amglish, if not, you lot remember who you are descended from - Bet? (wager)

Mar 2, 2008
Colin, I'm at Rocky's as we speak. The screen is 8' x 12', the venue and the food are excellent, and the game is Celtics vs Lakers "no-action" basketball. Awesome!

I gave away many Celtic caps to the many Celtic fans here, but I saved one for some worthy Brit. I'm not sure I know any worthy Brits at the moment, but I'm forever hopeful.

Just imagine, 350 years of rivalry is on the line next Saturday. I think a certain ex-empire is in for a rude awakening. Which one remains to be seen.

By the way, I'm only KIDDING everyone. I absolutely LOVE the UK and its inhabitants. After all is said and done, we are all just one big happy family. I mean, I am from RYE New HAMPSHIRE, which is part of New ENGLAND. How much more familiar can one get?

May the best team win.

By the way, there is actually a street named Hung King Road in PORTSMOUTH, New HAMPSHIRE. Go figure.

I want to make it abundantly clear, I no longer adhere to such sentiments. Let bygones be bygones. That my motto.

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Colin, I'm at Rocky's as we speak. The screen is 8' x 12', the venue and the food are excellent, and the game is Celtics vs Lakers "no-action" basketball. Awesome!

I gave away many Celtic caps to the many Celtic fans here, but I saved one for some worthy Brit. I'm not sure I know any worthy Brits at the moment, but I'm forever hopeful.

Just imagine, 350 years of rivalry is on the line next Saturday. I think a certain ex-empire is in for a rude awakening. Which one remains to be seen.

By the way, I'm only KIDDING everyone. I absolutely LOVE the UK and its inhabitants. After all is said and done, we are all just one big happy family. I mean, I am from RYE New HAMPSHIRE, which is part of New ENGLAND. How much more familiar can one get?

May the best team win.

By the way, there is actually a street named Hung King Road in PORTSMOUTH, New HAMPSHIRE. Go figure.

I want to make it abundantly clear, I no longer adhere to such sentiments. Let bygones be bygones. That my motto.

I'll see you Saturday - but can I have a Grande Presidente instead of a grotty hat supporting a Scottish football club pleeeeease?

Status
Not open for further replies.