encuentro beach warning

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If your really bored, visit a neighbor or friend who has a really big dog. Help them clean the yard from the dog and go on a beach walk with the bag.
When loser buddy comes to rob you give him the bag and go celebrate.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm on that trail a lot myself. There are PN patrols but they are few and far between. The views of the ocean are stunning. Anytime you are secluded and look around and don't see other people, you have become a target of opportunity for someone with little to lose.

Often used ploy in that area is a moto driver feigning a breakdown. You stop to chat or ask if they are alright and a partner scrambles out from behind a tree. You were fortunate. A moto driver will often offer a ride. If you decline they should immediately leave or focus their attention elsewhere. If they persist, that is your only clue that all is not right. 9 times out of 10, when a local pays a foreigner additional interest it's all about money. Sad commentary but a survival fact nonetheless. Be very weary of anyone with whom you have nothing in common paying too much attention to you in an area devoid of a crowd especially if you are alone.

Not everyone wishes you harm or wants your stuff, but the ones who do look just like the ones who don't. You have to assume...

Glad you are ok.

Oops, didn't mean to give a dislike. I wish there was a way to take it away?

RubyDiamond

Jan 8, 2013
It is probably an accurate assumption that everyone has a cellphone. That item alone is enough to initiate a robbery. A cellphone and a bag or backpack full of "stuff" can be perceived as a big score.

Wasn't the missing surfer gringo in Cabarete a few months back last seen, walking down the street from the beach?

no phone - he may shoot me for being annoying and having nothing worth stealing

RubyDiamond

Jan 8, 2013
You should never walk alone in non-public area at night. If it feels uncomfortable that is your sixth sense telling you something is wrong.
A gun makes a little Dominican punk feel like a real tough guy and being a thief here seems to bother almost no young Dominican man's conscience.
So use caution and enjoy the life in DR. If it does deteriorate further then it's time to think about leaving.
We are not there yet but if it does get there, a lot of of us extranjeros will be looking to find a safer place.

this was 10 am

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
no phone - he may shoot me for being annoying and having nothing worth stealing

Here's hoping you've now had your encounter with crime here and it's over and done with for a long time.

From a practical point of view, being out and about with no way to call for help if you slip on a rock and break an ankle, or get stuck in a little cove with the tide coming in isn't a great idea. I assume you told someone where you were going and when you'd be back so that if you don't come home, they know where to start looking?

I always have a few hundred pesos in smallish bills in a pocket that I can toss in one direction as I take off in another if that seems like an option at the time.

Your life is the one thing of value you always have with you. Unfortunately some don't value that as much as you do.

RubyDiamond

Jan 8, 2013
Im from a time before mobile phones - we seemed to do alright - i wonder how many people have actually been saved by mobile phones and how many have been shot to obtain them

caribbeankeith

Jun 3, 2016
maybe you should get a realy naff looking toy phone and pretend to ring someone , he will be off like a shot thinking you are some nutter, I have a friend who pretended to take photos with their phone and it never had a camera on it, or wear a wig and throw it at him ..lol

RubyDiamond

Jan 8, 2013
there were actually a lot of people on the beach that day(morning) but none on my route back, I had seen someone else walking earlier but they only have shorts on, no shirt or belongs of any description , however the gunman could have made him go to his home which I presume wasnt far away

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
From a practical point of view, being out and about with no way to call for help if you slip on a rock and break an ankle, or get stuck in a little cove with the tide coming in isn't a great idea. I assume you told someone where you were going and when you'd be back so that if you don't come home, they know where to start looking?

And who would you call for help ?? There's no 911 yet on the North Coast....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What a stupid comment. Who would you call?

I'd call one of my friends, or my doctor, or MOPC or my wife maybe. There is an ambulance service that does answer the telephone from time to time, never called them though. If you are sufficiently in need, call the police. What's a few hundred pesos if they ask to get some help. CESTUR will always come for a foreigner. Call the bomberos, they usually have an ambulance parked next to the truck and it's not like you need a truck full of water. I got a little scratched up on an ATV excursion and pulled into the Bombero station in Montellano and they eagerly cleaned and bandaged my scratches. Call CMC. To get a hold of your insurance number, they will probably come get you themselves.

Who are you going to call? Really? Are you that alone that you can't reach out to someone you know and let them come get you or arrange for some assistance to meet up with you if you are in need?

I guess that's life flying under the radar.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I came back to erase the previous post but was too late. I'm in a bit of a foul mood tonight and should have turned off the keyboard.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What a stupid comment. Who would you call?

I'd call one of my friends, or my doctor, or MOPC or my wife maybe. There is an ambulance service that does answer the telephone from time to time, never called them though. If you are sufficiently in need, call the police. What's a few hundred pesos if they ask to get some help. CESTUR will always come for a foreigner. Call the bomberos, they usually have an ambulance parked next to the truck and it's not like you need a truck full of water. I got a little scratched up on an ATV excursion and pulled into the Bombero station in Montellano and they eagerly cleaned and bandaged my scratches. Call CMC. To get a hold of your insurance number, they will probably come get you themselves.

Who are you going to call? Really? Are you that alone that you can't reach out to someone you know and let them come get you or arrange for some assistance to meet up with you if you are in need?

I guess that's life flying under the radar.

Ghostbusters!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
and a certain amount of luck good or bad comes into it - as nobody pays attention all the time

Observation is a skill. If a skill is necessary we work on it and develop it. Like walking and texting at the same time. If you are walking across the Serengeti without being observant in you becoming lunch.

We have all driven from somewhere to somewhere else and are unable to recall anything about the trip except that it didn't rain. When you go outside, you need to remind yourself to have a look around frequently otherwise, we will proceed with our heads down on autopilot. Pick one thing you observe and remember it. The colour of someones shirt for example. 5 minutes later when you take another look at your surroundings to see what has changed, start by recalling that item you made a point to remember from the last time. Soon, you'll get really good at remembering things you've seen but only if you make an effort to do so.

If you pass me on the street and hear me muttering, black, green, blue, Red Sox ball cap you now know that I am not completely insane.

If you don't see the predator coming, then it's a little late to react when they have their teeth around your neck says the gazelle.