English Social Club in Santo Domingo!

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Second Social EFL Group meeting REPORT!

Success! 10 students came! 8 women, 2 men. Guys guys, we're being flanked!

8 of us started the club with a little toast for the first successful meeting, there was no prepared subject or topic this time, just students meeting each other. 2 others arrived later. All in all, students from 3 different classes met and had a nice time. Next week promises to be even better, with more students saying they will be able to come, and of course, the word of mouth I expect from the 10 that came.

Some students complained that the place I picked was a bit too formal and a bit expensive, while others thought it was fine. In the interest of pleasing the many over the few, we might change places next time. There are so many restaurants in Santo Domingo, that it would be wrong not to try others out too.

For this reason, IF you plan on attending, make sure you secure my cellphone number! (Send me a PM - shows you care, and protects my privacy) We don't want to leave you out just because we decided to switch places. I assure you all places will be near the intersection of Churchill and 27 de Febrero.

No native English speakers made it to the meeting, which was disappointing for me since it is part of what I promised the students, but several of you have sent me PMs about attending next time. I keep my fingers crossed!

I forgot to take pictures, but next time I will.

Thanks for reading, come and visit us next Wednesday!

- Juan Morey

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Second Social EFL Group meeting REPORT!

Success! 10 students came! 8 women, 2 men. Guys guys, we're being flanked!

8 of us started the club with a little toast for the first successful meeting, there was no prepared subject or topic this time, just students meeting each other. 2 others arrived later. All in all, students from 3 different classes met and had a nice time. Next week promises to be even better, with more students saying they will be able to come, and of course, the word of mouth I expect from the 10 that came.

Some students complained that the place I picked was a bit too formal and a bit expensive, while others thought it was fine. In the interest of pleasing the many over the few, we might change places next time. There are so many restaurants in Santo Domingo, that it would be wrong not to try others out too.

For this reason, IF you plan on attending, make sure you secure my cellphone number! (Send me a PM - shows you care, and protects my privacy) We don't want to leave you out just because we decided to switch places. I assure you all places will be near the intersection of Churchill and 27 de Febrero.

No native English speakers made it to the meeting, which was disappointing for me since it is part of what I promised the students, but several of you have sent me PMs about attending next time. I keep my fingers crossed!

I forgot to take pictures, but next time I will.

Thanks for reading, come and visit us next Wednesday!

- Juan Morey

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Ok folks, the next gathering will be @ Mi Taverna Bar, located behind the old Trio NightClub (Same Plaza) on Ave Lincoln. (just before Lope de Vega starts)

As usual Wednesday @ 8pm. Bring friends if you wish!

One thing... Mi Taverna has Taco night that evening, so if you wish to participate in that, PLEASE call ahead and make a reservation for this. You can tell them you are coming to the English Social club meeting if you want. Call them at 809-418-5413 or 809-472-4387.

You don't need to reserve to just come to the English Social Club though :)

Reactions: AnnaC

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Third Social EFL Group meeting REPORT!

A note on the place: No complaints on the place this time! Everyone seemed to enjoy the setting. Thanks to the guys at Mi Taverna, I think we have a place our group can call home. It's even near enough the bowling alley... one day we could just hop unto a lane :p

Of course, the place matters little unless the people there are great. It was really nice to get around 18 people there for my club! Everyone who came to the second meeting was there, which is a good sign (except for one girl who was sick). We had a few new guys and gals from my classes, and a few students brought friends. I was also happy to have had Steven, aka SDF123 gracing our table with his Texan self. Thanks for coming, for not being shy and telling everyone about you!

A couple of ppl who didn't make it, but deserve a thank you anyways, Bellamona and mountainannie. I hope you can make it next time.

Oh boy, I am not sure if I will be able to keep up with all the salutations before getting to describe the event. Next time, please don't be offended if I just say THANKS to all who came ;)

Anyways, it was a lot of fun! The students once again were great by keeping it all in English. Some Spanish was heard here and there in the form of "How do I say 'spanish word'?" I guess that's fine... I don't want students feel like they need to carry a dictionary either.

Some students tried to make mini-groups and started talking within then as opposed to the whole table... Dominican bar habits? I broke it up at once, and thankfully ppl got the message without being offended.

It was nice to find out that it is ladies night on Wednesdays, free vodka-based drinks sure help to lighten ppl up. I'm no alcoholic, but a little loosening is good. *hint to ladies?*

Most people started to leave around 10:45pm, with the last few being kicked out by yours truly at 11:30. I had to work early the next day! :(

So, I'm happy with how things are going!

Same place, same time, next week!

p.s: I forgot to take pictures again! No worries, the fourth time's the charm. I will bring a camera and I asked students to bring them too. I will post these on FLICKR so everyone can see, get excited, and pay me lots of cash! :cheeky:

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com

A note on the place: No complaints on the place this time! Everyone seemed to enjoy the setting. Thanks to the guys at Mi Taverna, I think we have a place our group can call home. It's even near enough the bowling alley... one day we could just hop unto a lane :p

Of course, the place matters little unless the people there are great. It was really nice to get around 18 people there for my club! Everyone who came to the second meeting was there, which is a good sign (except for one girl who was sick). We had a few new guys and gals from my classes, and a few students brought friends. I was also happy to have had Steven, aka SDF123 gracing our table with his Texan self. Thanks for coming, for not being shy and telling everyone about you!

A couple of ppl who didn't make it, but deserve a thank you anyways, Bellamona and mountainannie. I hope you can make it next time.

Oh boy, I am not sure if I will be able to keep up with all the salutations before getting to describe the event. Next time, please don't be offended if I just say THANKS to all who came ;)

Anyways, it was a lot of fun! The students once again were great by keeping it all in English. Some Spanish was heard here and there in the form of "How do I say 'spanish word'?" I guess that's fine... I don't want students feel like they need to carry a dictionary either.

Some students tried to make mini-groups and started talking within then as opposed to the whole table... Dominican bar habits? I broke it up at once, and thankfully ppl got the message without being offended.

It was nice to find out that it is ladies night on Wednesdays, free vodka-based drinks sure help to lighten ppl up. I'm no alcoholic, but a little loosening is good. *hint to ladies?*

Most people started to leave around 10:45pm, with the last few being kicked out by yours truly at 11:30. I had to work early the next day! :(

p.s: I forgot to take pictures again! No worries, the fourth time's the charm. I will bring a camera and I asked students to bring them too. I will post these on FLICKR so everyone can see, get excited, and pay me lots of cash! :cheeky:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com

Let me know when the next meeting is. I have recently become motivated to attend. :)

RHM

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Let me know when the next meeting is. I have recently become motivated to attend. :)

RHM

I don't know what motivated you to come, but you're very welcome! I like your website, thecandidacy... it's a higher level politics than I understand right now, but maybe reading it will help that :)

Join the Social EFL group, I extended an invitation to you! That's the place where the updates will happen, now if only we got around to getting notices when ppl post in it... :cheeky:

Last edited:

bryancd911

Aug 21, 2008
I wish me and my girlfriend could attend your Social ESL Group even for a couple of hours only but we'll be in Santo Domingo on Sept.5 and will be leaving on the 8th. Is it possible that you schedule this on weekends?

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
I wish me and my girlfriend could attend your Social ESL Group even for a couple of hours only but we'll be in Santo Domingo on Sept.5 and will be leaving on the 8th. Is it possible that you schedule this on weekends?

Early Saturday evenings was my original idea for the club meeting times. That was shot out of the sky by the students.

So, I can't change the club days to weekends... in my experience as a teacher, weekends fill up too fast for the type of students I teach. They wouldn't show up.

However, not everyone thought that way at the time (especially those who were single). I am sure some of them would love to get together, so, I will tell them about it and we can make an extra meeting for that week. I'm sure I can get a smaller group of 6 at the least!

Saturday early evening is ok?

Who knows, maybe ppl will warm up to the idea of a Saturday evening/not too late gathering.

Give me a call at the number I PMed you when you arrive :D

I'll update this thread on how many students sign up for Sat, in case other ppl here are interested.

bryancd911

Aug 21, 2008
Early Saturday evenings was my original idea for the club meeting times. That was shot out of the sky by the students.

So, I can't change the club days to weekends... in my experience as a teacher, weekends fill up too fast for the type of students I teach. They wouldn't show up.

However, not everyone thought that way at the time (especially those who were single). I am sure some of them would love to get together, so, I will tell them about it and we can make an extra meeting for that week. I'm sure I can get a smaller group of 6 at the least!

Saturday early evening is ok?

Who knows, maybe ppl will warm up to the idea of a Saturday evening/not too late gathering.

Give me a call at the number I PMed you when you arrive :D

I'll update this thread on how many students sign up for Sat, in case other ppl here are interested.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. This is our first time in DR and wanted to meet people who speaks English. I'm going to give you a call when I arrive in Santo Domingo.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Fourth Social EFL Group meeting REPORT!

27/08/2008

Around 12 people showed up to Mi Taverna. This gathering was a bit different from the rest, mainly due to the music. The bartender didn't like the idea of lowering the music volume. He said the other clients would be upset... (there was my group of 12, and 2 other women in the bar... go figure). So, while my group initially just started talking as usual, some of them started dancing... that's when the party started :)

Basically, everyone began to dance! There was an even mix of men and women, so everyone had someone to dance with at all times. When you were not dancing, you could sit at the table and chat. I really appreciated that my students stuck with English even while they were just joking around on the dance floor. Oh yeah, there was also that power out... during which my group sat and we actually did chat for 30 minutes or so while the power came back on. We also tried to play a drinking game, in English... and realized that one of the girl students was going to get horribly drunk, so we stopped the game there to save her skin =P

Once the power was back, more drinks and more dancing. It was a really fun night in that respect. I do want to emphasize that this isn't the point of the club, but it wasn't a bad change for a night either ;)

Oh yeah, pictures! They will be posted at the group's flick account: ESL Group

All in all, a different but enjoyable evening.