Environment limits cattle ranching in mountain areas

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Orlando-Jorge-Mera-Ministerio-de-Medio-Ambiente.jpeg

To conserve water and mitigate the effects of climate change, the Ministry of the Environment issued Resolution 0004-2021 that regulates cattle-ranching.

Environment Minister Orlando Jorge Mera instructed the Vice Ministries of Protected Areas and Biodiversity, Soil and Water, and Forestry Resources to implement and apply the resolution that seeks to reduce the negative impact of cattle-ranking on the availability of water for the population.

The Ministry of Environment also recently highlighted the importance of caring for wetlands around the country.

Read more in Spanish:Ministry of...

[url=https://dr1.com/wordpress/2021/02/04/environment-limits-cattle-ranching-in-mountain-areas/]Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Good for them. I support this move.
I wish they would do something about all of the clearing and farming
taking place on the main road connecting Constanza to Jarabacoa. I can't
find the photos I took during my last trip across that stretch of the
mountains but I was disappointed to see so much of the hill side had been
leveled-off for farming.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
leveled-off for farming.
private lands for the most part. Unfortunately long term thinking is rare.

Reactions: CristoRey

Big

Apr 24, 2019
ah yes , climate change , one of my favorite causes, that and the "me too" movement

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
leveled-off for farming.
I was surprised at the amount of mountain planting I saw when I was there last month. I can't imagine what it must be like to be harvesting on those steep inclines.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was surprised at the amount of mountain planting I saw when I was there last month. I can't imagine what it must be like to be harvesting on those steep inclines.
Sadly from what I've from people who travel that route often, there's really nothing left up there for them to clear.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
ah yes , climate change , one of my favorite causes, that and the "me too" movement
If you've ever traveled the main road up there you would most likely agree with us. I'm not a fan of the #YouToo (were all victims) movement or climate crap either.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Are you blind, there are plenty of trees. In fact most of the mountains/hills surrounding Jarabacoa are fully treed.
Yes, I agree and no I'm not blind. As you come into Jarabacoa from Constanza there is some of the natural foliage left but a good 75% of that stretch was clipped a long time ago.

Asan

Apr 4, 2018
I am not familiar with the Jarabacoa area, but my understanding is that most of the damage is done by people burning down to set up a small plantation or the ilegal cutting of trees to make charcoal. Hills are not the best place for cows, maybe goats.

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am not familiar with the Jarabacoa area, but my understanding is that most of the damage is done by people burning down to set up a small plantation or the ilegal cutting of trees to make charcoal. Hills are not the best place for cows, maybe goats.
Most of the stripping of hills is to plant Chayote, beans, cabbage.....etc, not for cattle or for charcoal, although is a bit of that as well. The biggest problem in Jarabacoa is large developers taking down forest to build gated communities...etc.