Essentials to bring from US, have one last shopping trip!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
We have Movie Max in the Capital -

And cotton sheets - 400 thread count- are made here and I found that they are cheaper here than in the States.

I am not sure where you are moving to -- but clearly the folks who are on the Coast and the mountains are suffering here -- not getting the fresh tarragon and dill and such that I can find here in the Capital.

Ditto the vegetable peeler, the cutting board, the can opener.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get one of the good plastic cutting boards...and a couple of the thinner ones, too. Cheap and light.

so far, this sage, agrees with just about everything!!!

HB

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Bring your sense of humor.

Reread Lewis Carrol's books Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

You're coming from Mexico so you will have a good idea how different things can be but you're stopping in Texas so it's good to remind you that when you get here you won't be in Grand Prairie nor in Tunbridge Wells for that matter.

DR will be like no place you've ever been before.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I've only been here 2 1/2 months but I love it!! There is something new everyday and the people are wonderful. I love going out and talking to them and going shopping with my maid in Los Charamicos. We've already been to a few Dominicans homes and they are a very warm and generous people. Have fun!!!

May 29, 2006
If you can get to an IKEA, buy some of their blue carry-bags. They are ridiculously cheap at under buck each but they will be very handy for laundry and shopping as well. There is the IKEA in SD but it would not be worth the trip just to get that. Carrying plastic grocery bags will cut into your fingers if you are taking a moto concho and they tend to break if they have too much weight in them.

blue_bag279x279.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cuesta group stores (Nacional, Jumbo) have started to offer re-usable bags too.

No Blockbusters but MovieMax has a couple of branches in the east coast area, including Punta Cana Village and Palma Real shopping centre.

mountainannie, where have you found the cotton sheets and what are prices like for queen size? Bedding is one of the things that I find wears out quickly here and I can't bring from home because the sizes are different in Europe.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Get one of the good plastic cutting boards...and a couple of the thinner ones, too. Cheap and light.

so far, this sage, agrees with just about everything!!!

HB

Just brought two down, one for us and one from Prima Carmen. Got a small flat screen TV )20 inch through without problems also. Good canopener and vegetable peeler, and set of good knifes for the kitchen also. 630 lbs of checked baggage. No baggage checked in POP.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I can't really phantom this?

if you are relocating, you know you will be giving up some of the stuff you loved at your place, to replace them by new things you will love over here... that simply is a fact of life, and part of the fun... discovering new things...

plastic cutting boards can be gotten anywhere over here, and I do not think paying overweight charges are worth the extra price over here...

good can-openers, etc, can be gotten over here... look at the stuff with the blue handles...

what you cannot get over here: an espresso machine (so if espresso-lover), good bread (except in tourist places) (and this only for europeans as americans are used to this sweet soggy tasting bread), and as said before, spice mixes, especially the hotter ones...

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
champagne

Champagne! What are the the champagne supplies like in the DR????

Prices in Jumbo La Romana... Cristal 14500 pesos. Perrier-Jouet, Veuve Clicquot, Moet all between 3500 to 4000 pesos, sorry couldn't see exactly which "models" as badly displayed inside a cabinet.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
You can buy the Nat Geo map on line. Also make sure you have a bank debit/credit card. This is the easiest and safest way to access cash. Good luck

S

May 29, 2006
The first few things that come to mind are:

Surge protectors for computers(also, back up your computer online)
Decent kitchen equipment, especially chef knives. I'd also bring a wok for frying and stir-fry.
A dollar store sewing kit
Spices and Condiments
American sized Coffee Cups
Any Bakeware, if you know how to bake
New shoes to replace any that wear out
Lightweight portable safe(Bed Bath and Beyond, $30)
Fanny Packs
Bank deposit type bags for airline tickets, other important documents
Way more socks and underwear than you have now. Store them for replacements
High end razor blades if you use them. They are sold in the DR but most are bad counterfeits.
Lightweight beer cooler chests. Big enough to hold about 12 cans of beer. Some are collapsible or have removable liners.

Also, scan your passport and post the image securely online in case you lose yours.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Decent kitchen equipment, especially chef knives. I'd also bring a wok for frying and stir-fry.
Spices and Condiments
Fanny Packs
High end razor blades if you use them. They are sold in the DR but most are bad counterfeits.
Lightweight beer cooler chests. Big enough to hold about 12 cans of beer. Some are collapsible or have removable liners.

Also, scan your passport and post the image securely online in case you lose yours.

Where do you live, Peter? Must be an offshore island. Everything on your list can be bought here in Santo Domingo.

The one thing that I have NOT found here is the Peltz headlamp which is my A One tool

other than that... half the clothes.. twice the money

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where do you live, Peter? Must be an offshore island. Everything on your list can be bought here in Santo Domingo.

The one thing that I have NOT found here is the Peltz headlamp which is my A One tool

other than that... half the clothes.. twice the money

They may be available annie, but the quality isn't the same. When my in-laws come to visit us in NJ, they buy many of the things that have been mentioned. Last trip, brother-in-law bought good leather belts for himself and son, underwear and socks, Levi jeans, Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts, Farberware manual can opener, shoes for himself and his wife [she wears a size 5, not easy to find anywhere, he hit a bonanza in Naturalizer store], Clinique cosmetics for daughter, Bath & Body Works for wife and daughters, lots of stuff in CVS [pharmacy], etc., etc. We're laptop mules this Sunday for his son.

Aug 21, 2007
I have been here 6 years. I find that when I go back for a few weeks, I always hit the Yankee Candle store, the spice aisle of the grocery store, CVS for my favorite beauty products and vitamins, underwear, and Bed Bath and Beyond for kitchen utensils of some sort or another. I have brought back high quality towels, dog treats my dogs love, greeting cards, and high quality (600 thread count) sheets.

Your wants and needs may be different. But, for me, that I what I cannot get here.....

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Socks and underwear??

I throw them away at security

Spices and Condiments
Fanny Packs

May 29, 2006
I`m sure most if not all those items are available in SD. But tracking some of them down can be an all day project and the price and quality are not going to be up to US standards. One thing I left off was an ecko vegetable peeler. I`m sure you can get something at IKEA, but it wouldn`t be worth a day trip to SD for it. I needed a dollar store sewing kit once and trying to ask for one with my limited Spanish was quite a challenge. Never did find one on the north coast.