Essentials to bring from US, have one last shopping trip!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I second the vegetable peeler. The carrots here are tough to peel. Peelers rust and break. Best to bring them. If you have space bring soft toilet paper and paper towels. The stuff here dissolves and it's very expensive. Gym shoes can do with one pair. Several pair of sandals to trade off if you will do a lot of walking. Streets have pot holes. Also thick soled inside slippers/sandals because most floors are tile and very hard on your body.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't eat all the baked beans just before leaving for the airport,could make for an "Interesting" flight in the enclosed cabin!
Those headlamps can be used in the bed to "Illuminate" many things.Be more creative!
Can you ship boxes from TX to the DR?
Forget peanut butter,and toilet paper we have both here.And many of the other suggessted items.
A trip to "CVS",or other discount pharmacy is the best idea. Over-the-counter EVERYTHING!
Perscription drugs here,as I know in Mexico,don't need a perscription,except for controlled substances.
They,like in Mexico,you buy on the corner!
As has been stated,money is easy to carry,and even easier to spend.So bring a LOT!!
Be prepared to learn "Dominican Spanish"!
Welcome.
Cris Colon

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Just got back from the US, and I stocked up on the following:
Theraflu
Advil
Tums
Spices
Chianti

I use a keychain LED light rather than the head band.

If you run by Walmart, in the Tools section, find an LED work light. They cost about $20. I always purchase one or two and give them as gifts. Friends come back weeks and even months later to tell me how much they appreciate it and how useful it is. I use mine at least two or three times per week.

If I could find a way to bring decent beef back, I would take an extra suitcase with me.

Last edited:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
One thing you have to bring back are the sticky fly strips you hang from the ceiling, when opened about 3 ft long.....

B in Santiago

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
good vegetable peeler and knife sharpener....

yes I know the locals can sharp a knife as well... the only problem is that after 3 times you have no knife left... lol

I have to go back to Belgium for a week, and will bring the following essentials back...
- 1 huge jar of Belgian Pickles
- 1 huge jar of pita sauce
- 1 huge jar of sate herbs
- loads of Belgian chocolate to bribe the local computer repair man (Marco)

The first 2 will last me about a month... lol

The last one depends on my computer... lol

May 29, 2006
I agree on LED lights too. I got a couple at a Tractor Supply store a while back and they would be great in the DR. Mine have magnets on them to stick to a fridge which would make them easy to find in a black-out. At about $5 each, they would be good for gifts in the campo as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Forget about the "Can Opener",just bring a cheap knife.
Dominicans can "Multi-Task",they cut with the knife,then use it for a can opener!
Cris Colon
FORMER owner of some "Good Knives"!:mad:

May 29, 2006
One thing I used to pack on my keychain was something called a p-38 can opener. It was standard Army issue back in the day and it opens bottles too. For about a buck, it's pretty handy for traveling:

9937.jpg

Now I keep a gecko on my keychain. The tail and a leg are a bottle-opener:

BU_gecko.jpg

May 29, 2006
I knew a guy who would buy them 100 at a time and sell them for a buck each in bars. Nice for pocket money.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Usually, I get a bit smarter as the night goes on....

Two threads, the one mentioning the dildo and this one seem to run in parallel.

I would bring an electric toothbrush in my kit & kaboodle... it could do double duty... oral hygiene and dildo work.

Genius, don't you think? Any self respectig Domincano/a could fashion the "nether parts" apparatus required.

Nothing to it..... one utensil keeps the whole body happy and healthy.

In the event of power outage or equipment failure, perhaps I or CCCCCCC could fill the gap, as it were/is.

Happy flossing....

WW = gyno y dentisto = in training

BTW, I have my own Headlamp:(:(

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'd HATE to see a post from you any later!
I USED to bring "Dildos" to the DR.
NEVER AGAIN!
I got left watching "Novelas" on TV,while the girls "Entertained" eachother!
Then they took the "Mommie's BIG Helper" when they left!
Seems those "Domincanos Machos" weren't as good in bed as "Doc Johnson"!!!!:bunny::bunny::bunny:
CC
I "Guess" I'm still on topic?????