Even foreigners toss garbage

Sep 19, 2005
I got to chine in on a different note.....being an outdoorsman I hate people who litter. As a sportmans we are automatically enviromentalist at heart.

BUT

who is the fool that walks on five layers of garbage to cross the street to put his gum wrappper in the garbage can!!!!!!!

garbage is for the dump...if the whole street is the dump already.....who are you fooling if you THINK you will make a difference..I applaude the effort..and laugh at the rediculouisness!!!! I took pictures of a road from Li Cey to Moca that had 200 yards of garbage piled down the side of the road, as if it was a defacto garbage dump...people must have thrown some there a long time ago, and now everyone just brings it there(they are the good ones who actually take it someplace!)....but the "place"...isnt the right place!!

I dont think ANYONE has the right to bad mouth any nationality for littering when they dont also bad mouth EVERY dominican that litters.

there is no double standard.........if it is bad and you dont like it...mouth off to the people that live there...if the place was clean to begin with...most visitors would try to do the same...you have no leg to stand on if you only bad mouth the visitors.

when in rome....

thats just my view....

and it has nothing to do with wether I litter or not

oh., and..good morning folks ha ha

bob

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Maybe it is a lack of both pride and education. "After all some one will clean it up so why should it bother me". Have you ever walked the beach in Sosua at 7am. It is a dump literally, however by 9am it has been cleaned and raked by the local shop owners. So maybe the thought is just throw it away after all it will magically disappear in the moning.

Bob K

Sep 19, 2005
Yo Bob,
The OP did not badmouth any nationality.
He simply remarked that the guilty party was German, not Dominican.

no he didnt...but subsequent posts have expressed the opinion that it is ok for dominicans, but not others. THUS the term nationality...but not any ONE .

bob

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Muestramelo....

no he didnt...but subsequent posts have expressed the opinion that it is ok for dominicans, but not others. THUS the term nationality...but not any ONE .

bob
Can you point those "subsequent posts"?.

In my case, I don't care if the person is Dominican, American, female, male, from Mars or Jupiter, I will make them aware that they are doing something wrong even if the battle can't be won.

See, BOB, many times we do it, NOT because we only want the "thrower" to change his/her way, in my case, I do it because I want them to know that others are not pigs like them, that SOME people notice and because I want them to feel ashamed of themselves (if they have any shame).

Let me ask you, that road in El Licey, would you stop your car and throw your garbage there, just because you think everybody else does it?.

Btw: Did anyone said he/she "walked on five layers of garbage to cross the street to put his gum wrapper in the garbage can"?. Seriously, I didn't read such post so please point that one out for me too.

And btw: If I don't do it here (US), why would I do it there (DR), even if SOME Dominicans do it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Again, lack of education is ALSO to be blamed, even if the person is from Mars!.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

bob
Ok, I got you now.
That would be me who made a remark about it being worse for a gringo to litter than a Dominican who does not know better.
Someone interpreted that to mean that I was saying all Dominicans didn't know better, which is not what I meant at all, but we are all painfully aware that there is a lack of education in this country, as compared to the modern world.
North America went through it's "Do not litter" campaign 40 or 50 years ago.
We have yet to see that here.
Therefore, some Dominicans do not know about the inherent problems of littering, and it's more excusable, than for a gringo who does know better.
The end result is the same, as you still get litter in the street, but it's like forgiving a child for an action, that he did not know was wrong.

I have to presume that a large percentage of the Dominican population is better educated, and does know to not litter.

I hope this cleared all that up.
BTW: How are your little piggies?
You still in the biz?

Sep 19, 2005
well yes one was rocky's the other is Mountain frogs post....which basically suggests dont do as the dominicans do...do something DIFFERENT...

Miguel no one said they walked on five layers.....but I have walked on five layers of garbage....and i find it ironic that many would want me to walk to the garbage can, to throw soemthing out, but not think it odd if a dominican didnt.

I would not throw garbage on that road I mentioned...but I will admit that my GF has thrown things out the window....and as bad as I felt about that( mentioning to her, thats why your country is so filthy and I wouldnt want you to do that in america) I just eventually went along with it. Why fight the tide. So many things make me look like a complete idiot trying to do whats right in that country!!! that I let some things just go and fit in....I DONT carry that attitude back home though!

One of my hunting buddies has a strong resentment for his countrymen in the DR for littering so badly..and as much as he hates it and never does it...he admits it is only symbolic to him to not litter, because his country will always be like that for many years to come.

just look at all those big green garbage untis in Puerto Plata....they got used and full...then no one emptied them..then they garbage opiled up all around to the point...that most peole probably said...whats the freakin point!! the goverment puts this thing here and then drops the ball!!

you can make me your wipping boy...thats fine....I still voice my opinion...wether it is popular or not

ps: ROCKY THE PIGS ARE ALL SOLD OFF EXCEPT THE BIG BREEDER WHICH IS FRO SALE. Tavina might be going stateside on a work visa and we are getting thigns disposed of before she goes...like the pigs!!

bob

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yo entendi...

Ok, I got you now.
That would be me who made a remark about it being worse for a gringo to litter than a Dominican who does not know better.
Someone interpreted that to mean that I was saying all Dominicans didn't know better, which is not what I meant at all, but we are all painfully aware that there is a lack of education in this country, as compared to the modern world.
North America went through it's "Do not litter" campaign 40 or 50 years ago.
We have yet to see that here.
Therefore, some Dominicans do not know about the inherent problems of littering, and it's more excusable, than for a gringo who does know better.
The end result is the same, as you still get litter in the street, but it's like forgiving a child for an action, that he did not know was wrong.

I have to presume that a large percentage of the Dominican population is better educated, and does know to not litter.

I hope this cleared all that up.
BTW: How are your little piggies?
You still in the biz?
I understood what you said and I am NOT that smart, haha.

Laurapasinifan:

In my book, WHOMEVER throws garbage out of car, lacks education, even if that person claims to be well-educated and/or is a college graduate!.

I don't care if the whole DR is filled with garbage, if a relative of mine, a girlfriend, a friend or whomever is in a car with me, if that person throws garbage out of a car, THEY WILL HEAR MY MOUTH!!.

Don't believe me, read on:

Here in "Alaska", I was driving my best friend to Lowe's (hardware store). His cousin, whom I didn't know was also with us. About 20 blocks from my friend's house, his cousin decided to throw a candy wrap out the window.

I, very surprised, asked him why he did that. He replied, "why not?".

Since I knew I was dealing with an unaducated moron:

I, very calmly and without saying a word, parked, went around the passenger seat, opened the door and told him to get out of the car.

I, very calmly and without saying a word, got into the driver's seat and drove off leaving his axx standing on the street like the "Statue of Liberty", with a funny look on his face.

My best friend also didn't say a word because he agreed with me.

I guess I have been blessed/lucky when selecting the company I keep!.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Miguel thats your view and your opinion........things are not so simplified as you type them out to be.

because YOU say someone is uneducated surely doesn not make it so..

you can say they are inconsiderate to a degree.

Garbage on the streets in the DR is a CULTURE..w.ether YOU like it or not...you dont go around passing judgement on every culture aspect you dont like about someone or someplace do you?

under the guise of EDUCATION!!

good luck

bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bob, I admire you for being honest enough to admit that you've given up trying, but it's a defeatest attitude, and you would become part of the problem, instead of the solution.
If we who know better, do not set the example, we are doomed.

B

batich

Garbage on the streets in the DR is a CULTURE..w.ether YOU like it or not.../QUOTE]

Exactly! Like coming to some clean decent place (for instance Las Terrazas) in the middle of the night and turn on the music from the trunk the loudest possible.

Or try to blind you on the road with high beam.

Correct, it is culture here. (BTW, can we use the word CULTURE in this context?)

C

Chip00

The trash problem here in the DR is based on ignorance. Domincans aren't really aware that it is a problem because they are raised to not give it much thought. HOWEVER, many Dominicans who travel abroad and come back realize that it is important and no longer do it - my wife for one.

That is why the government IMO needs to start a campaign like there was in the States in the early '70's. Only problem is that the politicians here ni sirve pa' limpiarse el culo a uno.

My solution - wait 5 years until I'm a citizen y vote por mi!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The trash problem here in the DR is based on ignorance. Domincans aren't really aware that it is a problem because they are raised to not give it much thought. HOWEVER, many Dominicans who travel abroad and come back realize that it is important and no longer do it - my wife for one.

That is why the government IMO needs to start a campaign like there was in the States in the early '70's.
This is 100% correct, and to add that there are many educated Dominicans who have not been abroad, who also know not to litter.
Although many might think that using the word "ignorance" is condescending, it is not.
It is the word that best describes a lack of knowledge.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que es esto?.....

Garbage on the streets in the DR is a CULTURE..w.ether YOU like it or not...you dont go around passing judgement on every culture aspect you dont like about someone or someplace do you?

under the guise of EDUCATION!!

good luck

bob
"Garbage in the DR is a CULTURE". Is that so?.

Perhaps it's a culture with those you surround yourself with. It's NOT the culture with the people I surround myself with.

You make it sound as if EVERYWHERE you go in the DR, garbage is a problem.

That's like saying that drinking beer is a Dominican culture, therefore EVERY SINGLE DOMINICAN drinks.

Yes, the garbage issue in the DR is a problem but I know A LOT of people who don't like to live around garbage and do their best to keep their communities clean.

Perhaps YOU should visit Bello Campo.

And yes, it's my opinion and my opinion is that WHOMEVER throws garbage out a car's window, lacks education!.

A wrong is a wrong is a wrong, here, there, everywhere!.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
ROCKY:On my own behalf I will say that I have not resigned myself to following suit....I just dont worry about it...I dont fight.

I can say to people in my car , dont throw that out the window, just wait till we stop someplace...and if it went out anyway...I DONT BERATE....I just give my face.....I wont fight it!!!

I give it a token effort. I dont litter usually!.

I say "usually" because I have dropped things in places , when I didnt feel like carrying that item until such time as there was a proper place coming up that I could dispose of it...thats in then DR!! I am talking.

and it was dropped in amongst the other debris!

like walkign on sosua beach...every once in a while up in front of the shops there is a pile of garbage on the ground.....I cant remember a garbage can...so it went into the pile...that was obviously an eye sore...but it is ALREADY an eyesore.....why should i carry it the length of the walk to my car???

bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ROCKY:On my own behalf I will say that I have not resigned myself to following suit....I just dont worry about it...I dont fight.

I can say to people in my car , dont throw that out the window, just wait till we stop someplace...and if it went out anyway...I DONT BERATE....I just give my face.....I wont fight it!!!

I give it a token effort. I dont litter usually!.

I say "usually" because I have dropped things in places , when I didnt feel like carrying that item until such time as there was a proper place coming up that I could dispose of it...thats in then DR!! I am talking.

and it was dropped in amongst the other debris!

like walkign on sosua beach...every once in a while up in front of the shops there is a pile of garbage on the ground.....I cant remember a garbage can...so it went into the pile...that was obviously an eye sore...but it is ALREADY an eyesore.....why should i carry it the length of the walk to my car???

bob
I hear ya, buddy, but we have to make the effort, as difficult or inconvenient that it may be.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

That is why the government IMO needs to start a campaign like there was in the States in the early '70's. Only problem is that the politicians here ni sirve pa' limpiarse el culo a uno.

My solution - wait 5 years until I'm a citizen y vote por mi!!!
"Beautify America" was Lady Bird Johnson's mission from 1964. It took a few years to catch on, but it worked! The US morphed into a culture who saw littering as a bad thing.

Sep 19, 2005
"Garbage in the DR is a CULTURE". Is that so?.

Perhaps it's a culture with those you surround yourself with.

You make it sound as if EVERYWHERE you go in the DR, garbage is a problem.

miguel why do you have to drag down people personally to try and get your point across...you are very shallow minded if you cant have this conversation about garbage being a widespread problem in the DR with out putting down the posters....and people I "surround" myself with?

you can find these "LITTLE" expection to almost anything...and you build your case upon them!

I am very glad you can count friends of your that care about the garbage problem..If you read my post I too can count among my friends people of the same thread.

so it might be pointless discussing this with you.

have a good day

bob

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
miguel why do you have to drag down people personally to try and get your point across...you are very shallow minded if you cant have this conversation about garbage being a widespread problem in the DR with out putting down the posters....and people I "surround" myself with?

you can find these "LITTLE" expection to almost anything...and you build your case upon them!

I am very glad you can count friends of your that care about the garbage problem..If you read my post I too can count among my friends people of the same thread.

have a good day

bob

Bob, be selective on your readings: read some for a laugh, then read Rocky's posts - the guy always makes sense.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Pero que paso?....

have a good day

bob
Hey, I was replying to your post to me.

I had already said that WHOMEVER throws things out a window lacks some sort of education, even if that person is MY relative, MY girlfiend or MY friends.

You said it was a DR CULTURE and I don't agree with it. What's wrong with that?.

Btw: have any of you guys ever heard of having a little plastic bag in your car to throw garbage in?.

Try it. It works like a sharm, here, there, EVERYWHERE!!.

I wonder if someone is looking for "Cymbalta"?.