Ever think about packing it in, and going back where you came from?

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
I know you are just asking for thoughts and opinions. You are unhappy and it is wearing you down. The apartment and PN are issues that faced you when you came here but now you see and feel them more. No matter where you go in this country that will not change. Friends make a big difference. I get the impression that there is places to met up with other expats on the North Coast, not sure about here on the East Coast or in SD. Sometimes just a face to face chat can make a big difference. If you are really ready to pack it all in, then nothing we say with rose coloured glasses should change that.

Have you thought about moving somewhere else in the DR? I love SD but it is a pretty big crazy, loud, **** hole.

Probably just a phase. I don't really ever want to move back but I really miss things being easy. I thought I was moving to paradise but really I left paradise to move here!

Do you have a lot of friends here? Not sure if it is easy to make friends in SD but it sure is in the NC!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
always a good idea to 'change the scenery' every once in a while.

I like it here and can stay for 6-7 months straight. Then I look forward to Lake Huron
my wife cracks after 4-5 weeks and needs to come up for air

she goes to NoAmerica frequently... friends , children and so on.

Keep the penthouse and up the travel.... if only to other parts of RD...

Change the scenery.........

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Happiness is a state of mind bigbird. I say go back to your roots (cue video) and find yourself. :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
always a good idea to 'change the scenery' every once in a while.......

Keep the penthouse and up the travel.... if only to other parts of RD...

Change the scenery.........

That's just it, I have been everywhere from Juan Dolio to Cabaret and all stops in between. Now sure what it is but I just woke up one morning and said this is it. Although the tought crossed my mind several times over the last seven months.

I go stateside the 22 and return the 27th. I will do some thinking as I may just pack my stuff and sell everything when I get back and avoid paying another four months rent.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Having been here for 8.5 years, the last 4.5 on my own as my British husband died in August 2010, I am also considering moving back at least nearer to my son and family (younger son was killed in a freak accident in September 2007) but, biggest problem for me is twofold. I have a large property to sell, finca with 3 bed house plus how can I leave my wonderful 10 dogs, George, the cat, 4 horses, Bob the burro, Archie and the little flock of sheep, Flora the cow who should give birth again in mid February, Juanita her daughter now just 2 and Quakers, the duck, with his brood. Also my adopted Dominican family, i.e. my workers and their extended family. It's just not doable at the moment but it is something I have to consider in the not too distant future as I am not getting any younger!

Maybe, just maybe, if I could afford to visit England more often (not been there for 2 years now), it would make me realise exactly why I have chosen to stay here rather than return there!

Last edited:

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Sounds like you need a vacation from "paradise lost"......Reevaluate your priorities in the process. If you have deep pockets hold on to the penthouse....If not, do the part time thing....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Happiness is a state of mind bigbird. I say go back to your roots (cue video) and find yourself. :)

You wrote this in the Policia National thread.

I say get the **** out of dodge!!!!!!!

Damn, 150 pesos worth of goodies because they felt like it. **** them!!!!!!!!!

I gave that comment a lot of thought.

I can always visit once in awhile but I think maybe it is time to see more of the world as my traveling has really be limited.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We all get Dominicanitis after a while and long for a bit of normalcy.I find a short trip back to the real world to be the cure. Its Not very long before I miss the DR and want to come back.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was stateside the early part of this month and my daughter threw my granddaughter a birthday party. I had such a blast I knew that is what I am missing. I can travel for a week to other places every 4 - 6 weeks.

Take a look at the pics and you will understand.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1183...7764520721?banner=pwa&authkey=CO-9qoDjk9qakwE

Nice pics, I get it. We have kids and grandkids in NJ too. You could just be going through a phase, but it sounds like more than that.

From what I understand, you are living alone in DR. IMO you need good friends or a partner or a job, or DR can get old fast. I am content in DR only because I am there with Mr. AE, and can communicate easily with our kids & grandsons back home.

Enjoy your trip home for the holidays, but don't act rashly, the grass isn't always greener.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You should think about the hobbies you enjoy or topics you are interested in, then seek out like minded people in SD to share
these interest and hobbies with.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Nice pics, I get it. We have kids and grandkids in NJ too. You could just be going through a phase, but it sounds like more than that.

From what I understand, you are living alone in DR. IMO you need good friends or a partner or a job, or DR can get old fast. I am content in DR only because I am there with Mr. AE, and can communicate easily with our kids & grandsons back home.

Enjoy your trip home for the holidays, but don't act rashly, the grass isn't always greener.

It is something I have been considering for the past several months. After awhile you just get tired of the broken up sidewalks, the piles of garbage in Gazcue. I just don't have that same joy I used to have being here.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It is something I have been considering for the past several months. After awhile you just get tired of the broken up sidewalks, the piles of garbage in Gazcue. I just don't have that same joy I used to have being here.

Off-topic a bit. Sorry!!!

I moved to FL in 2002 thinking I would be on vacation mode every weekend. By the 3 month, the beach bum in me died. He heat was unbearable and the people. Oh, the people!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally moved back to NY in 2004. Never regretted it. Loved the experience but not for me!!!!!

Many think I am nuts picking NY over FL. Oh well.........................

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Been living is SD full time for a little over two years. I don't know why but recently I have been getting these thoughts to just break my lease, sell everything and go back to New Jersey. I would continue to travel at least once every six weeks, but to other places.

Three months ago I rented a really large penthouse apartment in Gazcue. Actually I fell in love with the 400 sq. ft. rooftop terrace. After three months I find myself not going on the terrace for sometimes two days in a row. I think I bit off a little bit more than I want to chew. The apartment is huge but I just can't get into the mood of putting up the rest of my curtains, I don't as much want to paint because if I do that is another expense when and if I leave.

Maybe I burned myself out or it is just a phase an ex-pat goes through.

I have moved a lot in my life so I can get bored, not matter how active, after living in the same place for a while. After 6 1/2 in Santo Domingo it started hitting me. For me going back to the states, except to visit family, had no draw. I ended up moving up to the north coast the last 1 1/2 years and it is almost like living in another country. Probably moving to Santiago which I like and then travel to other Latin American countries from there.
Looks like you went big on the apartment but why not either try another part of the country or use S.D. as your home base for the travels you plan on doing anyway???
Either way , good luck

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Real World

(...) I find a short trip back to the real world to be the cure. Its Not very long before I miss the DR and want to come back.

It is probably because your 'real world' is not much of a real world and more like Disneyland... :classic: :rolleyes:

donP

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....................Looks like you went big on the apartment............

Either way , good luck

Yes I did. When I saw the spiral staircase and the 400 square foot rooftop terrace I was in love. View of the ocean during the day and view of the city lights at night. I knew I could handle the rent but for some strange reason I just never felt comfortable here like I did in the other building I lived in for two years. The other apartment was only a one bedroom and it got real small to me.

This building is only a block and a half from the other building but when you walk the back streets it is a mess of busted up sidewalk and piles of garbage. That can get depressing right quick.