Everything about parasites!

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
Not only hookworm but viruses can penetrate through the feet, not mentioning "mossy-foot" and various fungi infections. Some larvae that enter through the skin from the soil can grow worms as long as 1-2 meters, at least in Africa. Walking barefoot on coral and volcanic soils can lead to Kaposi malignacies and odd viral infections. Celulitus (elephantisis) can be caused by staph entering lower limb scar tissue -- I know, I got it that way. As well as cholera, malaria, six kinds of salmonellas/paratyphoids in Asia and the Caribbean/South America.

Point is: don't go barefoot in the tropics! Cook all meats well-done, and do the things in my previous post. If you have a rain-catch with a cistern that you filter and once in a while treat with a bit of chlorine, you can make ice, coffee, brush your teeth, etc. Public sources of water, usually not. It isn't Kansas anymore. It's a whole lot better.

Thanks for the info regarding Fel 6. Ok, point well taken, no bare feet! :disappoin So does that mean you also do not recommend flip flops and such?

N

naturelover

of course we can have worms etc in our home countries for years and never know about it..errrm not sure what my point is ....lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tap water all the way except for drinking, tea, coffee, ice (difference in taste is the main reason).

de-worming few times a year, along with the cat.

so far i had amoeba, helicobacteria pyloris and proteus (para-typhus). there must be something i am doing wrong since minovio was never sick and we eat/drink the same. on the other hand up until very recently i had anemia, so maybe my immunity was bad.

symptoms: lots of poo, lots of vomit, fever, stomach pain, headache.
all my diseases so far were treatable.

barefoot walking - i once swam (drifted) in the dead sea. never knew i had so many cuts and bruises until i the "water" reached them, hurt like hell. guess it must be easy for nasty microbes to enter small cuts in our skin that we do not even know about...

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I wash and cook everything in bottled water, brush my teeth in tap water, unless it is obviously contaminated by large rainfalls and I have never had a problem with parasites.
I have spent 6 month of every year in Cabarete since 1999.
I do mostly all of my own cooking and only go to restaurants I trust from previous experience. No street vendors.
So far so good.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I wash and cook everything in bottled water, brush my teeth in tap water, unless it is obviously contaminated by large rainfalls and I have never had a problem with parasites.
I have spent 6 month of every year in Cabarete since 1999.
I do mostly all of my own cooking and only go to restaurants I trust from previous experience. No street vendors.
So far so good.
That's pretty much how I see it too.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I clean some veggies with Purissima (sold in supermarkets in DR) like broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce and celery, brush with tap water, eat loads of garlic (natural parasites killer). I used to buy the Grapefruit extract not anymore. I ‘de-bug’ twice a year, so does my kid and dog, not a big fan of street vendors, cook with bottle water, use bleach tablets in my tinaco (good for skin parasites), do not walk barefoot (mainly because all windows are open and floors get dirty quickly), only eat salads in clean restaurants, I always clean my eggs before putting them in the fridge, I always have a manitas limpias (antibacterial hand gel) in my purse, learned quickly not to sit little girls in the bathtub (will get infections from water), use antibacterial cream on all cuts, learned the standing position when using public bathrooms, I put charcoal in my water tanks outside (good to keep away mosquitoes), being living here for 13 years and still alive!

N

naturelover

very conflicting advice here....why wash every thing in bottled water if you are going to brush your teeth with tap water....does one have to wash dishes with bottled water and what about walking in the rain...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
very conflicting advice here....why wash every thing in bottled water if you are going to brush your teeth with tap water....does one have to wash dishes with bottled water and what about walking in the rain...
The general consensus of the expats is near identical.
When brushing your teeth you do NOT swallow.
If you wash your veggies with tap water then eat the veggie, you are likely to be ingesting whatever bacteria/microbe/parasite there is in the water.
One washes dishes in tap water, but one does not use a wet dish.
Once properly dried, they no longer pose the danger from waterborne bugs.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Ben Franklin said:
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed a huge amount of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming poop.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor).

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of s**t.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Quote: "I'm curious about the barefoot thing. Is there a perceived danger for parasites, from going barefoot?"

Yes...that would be immediately after gashing open ones foot on the broken glass, or sharp rusted metal, etc. thats always in abundance on certain beaches, lakes, rivers, "walkways". Also, walking through some type of "sewage" which has a way of "seeping" in certain parts of the DR would be a good way to "catch something" if there are any cuts or open sores..........

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
Quote: "I'm curious about the barefoot thing. Is there a perceived danger for parasites, from going barefoot?"

Yes...that would be immediately after gashing open ones foot on the broken glass, or sharp rusted metal, etc. thats always in abundance on certain beaches, lakes, rivers, "walkways". Also, walking through some type of "sewage" which has a way of "seeping" in certain parts of the DR would be a good way to "catch something" if there are any cuts or open sores..........

What about flip flops....anyone have an opinion.....OK to wear/not recommended?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
What about flip flops....anyone have an opinion.....OK to wear/not recommended?
It has been my "uniform" for the past 15 years... I would have a hard time wearing closed shoes here. Whenever I go to the city, I have to do so, and I feel "punished" !
Wearing flip-flops or sandals is a complete freedom. I think it is much healthier to let our feet breeze.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There has been an outbreak of bilharzia in Los Solares near Juan Dolio. 2 deaths so far. It appears walking barefoot a major factor. My kids (Dominican) have far more parasitic attacks then me and they always walk barefoot in garden. I don't. We use tap water for teeth, washing and cooking apart from rice which absorbs the water. I wash salads in tap water. We take anti parasitic medecine every 6 months. So far so good.

Matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There has been an outbreak of bilharzia in Los Solares near Juan Dolio. 2 deaths so far. Matilda

Deaths? Had they had it a long time & it morphed to bladder cancer? Bilharzia (schistosomiasis) is so treatable but of course not everyone has the money needed. It has very low mortality rate though, so maybe the 2 fatal cases picked up something else as well? I really looked into this when I got it here myself when we were new (post above somewhere). What it does need is careful diagnosis, of course...............

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Before sleeping in one glass : one lime juice+one grapefruit juice+one olive oil spoon+garlic

3 nights in a row

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Before sleeping in one glass : one lime juice+one grapefruit juice+one olive oil spoon+garlic

3 nights in a row
Is that a periodic treatment you use to kill parasites?
It sounds like it has all the right ingredients, but I bet your wife/girlfriend doesn't want to kiss you goodnight after drinking it, lol.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Deaths? Had they had it a long time & it morphed to bladder cancer? Bilharzia (schistosomiasis) is so treatable but of course not everyone has the money needed. It has very low mortality rate though, so maybe the 2 fatal cases picked up something else as well? I really looked into this when I got it here myself when we were new (post above somewhere). What it does need is careful diagnosis, of course...............

Local doctors, local hospital. Symptoms were high fever, paralysis, headache and swelling of limbs. Those who died were young children 8 and 9. It was diagnosed after 2 weeks as Bilharzia - but of course they could be wrong.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I had a problem for a 18 months , like a chronic inflammation , suffering periodically.
I knew garlic is a very strong antiseptic (this is why you should always take garlic before a french kiss).
I knew about pinapple seeds...but here I use only the juice.
Talking with someone del campo...I mixed everything and within 3 days everything was over.