Everything in Sosua Completely Dead?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
the world economy cratered 8 years ago, and they have built quite a few hotels all over the island since then.
And a BUNCH of projects never got off the ground.

Because *some* were built does NOT mean ALL planned got built.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
20 years from now folks will be laughing about the pre-transformation So-Sewer the same way NY'er laugh about Times Square in the old days.

Times Square 42nd Street 1975 adult movie theaters - YouTube

This could indeed be the case with Sosua. The first time I was involved with pre-planning projections in Sosua was 2006. Nikki Beach was just built on Providenciales, IGY (Independent Global Yachting) was building the marina at NB, and asked our company to travel with them to Sosua to look at a future project. At the time, Los Charamicos, and the government wanting IGY to build a new Wastewater treatment plant for the entire area was the big hurdle. IGY wanted the people from LC moved out if you can believe it.. Who knows why, I was just there to do my engineering thing for a desal and wastewater plant. We come up with drawings and a preliminary budget for IGY and as usual, things sat for a couple of years.

2009. We were asked again to go with IGY to check out Sosua. This time they were concerned about infrastructure in the form of water an sanitary sewer lines in the city. Hydrants were also an issue. I clearly remember driving through El Batey with the IGY guys. They were all about stepping out that evening to check out the town and enjoy an evening in Sosua. I did not accompany them and opted to take a run up to POP and see my wife. On the flight back to Provo, the four executives were talking nonstop about what they saw. they especially talked bad about "Latinos" bar and the amount of girls that came onto them. They were discussing how there was no way to change this and that their investors wouldn't want any part of any investment in "this type of environment" no matter how attractive the bottom line was. That was 2009..

Now here we are in 2014, and lots of changes going on.. I have no doubt that I will be called again to go to Sosua and have a look at the infrastructure. FYI to everyone. When any major investment group comes into a third world country, helping out that country regarding infrastructure that could include water, sewer, schools, roads, and even hospitals and bridges always come into play. The investment groups use this as a tool to help coerce governments into allowing the investors to use their country all in the name of corporate profits. I don't know for certain that these changes are taking place because of IGY, but It really looks like that is the case. If it is the case, I'll be one of those looking back at all of this and having a really good laugh.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And a BUNCH of projects never got off the ground.

Because *some* were built does NOT mean ALL planned got built.

nobody said that all the plans were executed, but nothing whatsoever happened in POP. it died a miserable death..

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
guys, i know that disney and hos CAN coexist. i was just pointing that hoscists and familyscists think otherwise. personally when i travel to sosua i am not bothered by hos nor by families.

I am not a familicist despite the fact that I have one. Honestly, Times Squares in NYC is not my idea of family times. But Having seen both, I can tell you, it s a place now that my visiting friends (adults) enjoy.
As Cjwell mentionned in her earlier post* how about making it a place for young professionals, couples or even retirees who are not necessarily there for punani (a place for independent traveler). They may partake in it (nothing wrong with it) without making it the main reason of their trip. Family with young children will always favor AI for obvious reasons.

*a destination moving forward for older married couples, young singles, young couples - families don't just mean small children and families aren't the be all and end all of tourism...

Last edited:

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
the world economy cratered 8 years ago, and they have built quite a few hotels all over the island since then.

Including building more then a few in areas where prostitution exist, as well as the variety of P2P locations would easily fill POP and Sosua combined.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I'm just wondering how many of the posters on this thread actually live here in Sosua,invest in the DR or even have a clue about where it is and what's going on?

I do and I sure don't.

Times Square/Sosua in the same breath? Manhattan and Pedro Clisante? Forward planning and actual finished projects, Walt Disney? etc. etc.
How about Theme Parks, museums,6 Flags and convention centres next?

Not in any of my lifetimes methinks....

(Just starting on the long-awaited and much-vaunted hospital would astound us all!! Let alone finishing it....)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Biggest thing I have seen in the past little bit is somebody painted the old Moby Dick....you know, the place across from the huge hole in the ground.

....it would be so much easier to see the vision of a new Sosua if there was a history of completing projects, following through on new rules and being consistant with the direction of the town. If there is even the slightest hint of that, support will follow. The feeling I have and I think may other people here have, is this is just another pie in the sky dream....who could blame us for feeling that way. We have seen all this before, in one form or another.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I guess I should apologize to ID and GD for not including them in the 'lovefest'....:cry:

47287.jpg

May 29, 2006
Someone wake me when Bailey's, New Garden, Rocky's, Britannia or Checkpoint shut down for lack of business.. Otherwise, it sounds like the same old off season die offs. The sky may be actually falling at last, but it hasn't landed on anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.