Everything in Sosua Completely Dead?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2006
It's not just the inconvenience of not having as many places to eat or drink. Empty storefronts make a town look bad and imply often rightly that there is more crime because people aren't making money. I wonder what the storefront turnover rate is over in Los Charimicos... maybe those place are mostly owned by the businesses. It would be quite interesting if that side of the beach takes off with a locally based economy while El Batey becomes a ghost town.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it shouldn't be misunderstood....

The town council has a responsibility to improve Sosua

The local business community has the same responsibility.

When we talk about the cruise port....
The locals need to be creative......

what czn we do attract some of those incoming dollars?
finger pointing and whining will get 'nada'

good business planning and some creativity might change the tide
(if the tide needs changing)

Pro-active planning........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the latest news conference brought news that the port will not open until mid 2015:
DIRECTOR DE PUERTO PLATA CIUDAD CRUCERISTA REVELA TERMINAL DE CRUCEROS COMENZARA OPERAR A MEDIADOS DEL 2015

personally i do not think it will be quite as impactful for the local communities as many claim or hope.
I'm certain that this cruise ship dock will have very little if any impact directly to Sosua as Carnival has NO plans for allowing their passengers to spend their money anywhere else other than the cruise ship port if they can help it. The indirect impact that it will have is that if Carnival has good reviews from their clients, then IGY (Independent Global Yachting) will move forward with possibly creating a mega yacht / Marina in Sosua Bay. I'm not holding my breath for this one as it has been being looked at for many years, and the limited success that Ocean World has had isn't making things look promising. Ocean World will be the only business that I know on the NC that will benefit from the cruise ship dock. Maybe some local tours and the zip line thing who knows..

thanks for saying exactly what i wanted to, but was holding inside. Ocean World will be the only local business that will benefit from the cruise port. Carnival will take the rest.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What does a port in Maimon an hour away by car and probably $50.00 per taxi have to do with Sosua?

1) Day excursions to the beach (by bus) if Carnival chooses to do so
2) Increased awareness & future tourism for the DR North Coast

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Derf -
it has to do with it whatever anybody wants

I bet they hit the coffee plantations in Jarabacoa..... or the coffee may come to them

think o/s the box boy !!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I speak to the Carnival executives all the time, I can assure you their plans do not include 'keeping the tourists in the port.' They have set aside 16 acres of the port for transportation out of the port, roads, parking, etc. for taxis, rental cars, excursion vans, and tour busses. I have seen the plans myself. They know for their $100M investment to be successful, the whole destination has to be successful, which means Carnival guests have to enjoy not just the port but the whole destination/town/excursions etc. Now I doubt there will be tours to Sosua, but there will be crew from the ship and some passengers that will find their way there, for sure. Even Puerto Plata town has to do some work before Carnival will send passengers there. One mugging or shooting can ruin the whole investment.

remember the floating condo, The World, which came to POP over a year ago? my understanding is that a couple of their passengers got mugged on the malecon, and we have never heard of them again, even though the news report was that it was the rebirth of cruise ships to POP. so, you are absolutely right. one negative incident kills the entire goose, because the liability lies with the cruise operators.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What does a port in Maimon an hour away by car and probably $50.00 per taxi have to do with Sosua?

This is exactly the thought process that needs to be corrected

thanks for validating my point Derf

not our fault-- nutin' we can do from here--- we're all f^cked on this one

please pass the beer --I need to cry

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
remember the floating condo, The World, which came to POP over a year ago? my understanding is that a couple of their passengers got mugged on the malecon, and we have never heard of them again, even though the news report was that it was the rebirth of cruise ships to POP. so, you are absolutely right. one negative incident kills the entire goose, because the liability lies with the cruise operators.

I hope thats not true - about not returning

remember, that ship never stops and visits as many ports as possible over a given period of time

POP will never be a big stop for them.... the cabins are a few million each
Not really their kind of 'hood = POP or even RD

Big city mice live on that ship..... not country mice off for a weekend of free booze and food

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Robert says I have to post this here.....?
Apparently.....
How many threads do we need on this, not another one, that is for sure.
Closed.

OK, here it is.

I am retired, I am married, I don't chase Chicas, and I do like to go to Sosua for the Winter.
I like the large selection of places to eat, at reasonably prices.
I like the amount of English (that can be) spoken.

A lot of the Mongers spoke English.
They dropped a lot of $$.
They fueled many bars, but (more importantly) they kept many of the restaurants open.

The Town is now shooting themselves in the foot.

If the Mongers and Chicas are chased out.... many restaurants I like will close.

I don't look forward to going a place (a ghost town) called.... ?The DR town formerly known as Sosua?

Without the Mongers and Chicas it will be a AI resort, a Beach, and a few place for old people to eat at.

Why would I go back to Sosua?[/QUOT
Ok, I don't see the ski falling! The reasons for you returning to Sosua are the reasons you came before.
As far as Sosua dying because the mongers will move on imho isn't so. What a lot of Dr1's don't want to believe is that the mongers don't spend the large amounts of money they think they do. Second they ignor that there is more non mongers that do vacation here than they are willing to admit.
Sosua will still be a place where a guy can come and do what he likes monger or non monger, rent a decent condo at a fair price, have plenty of nice places to eat. Enjoy the beach and friends.
Sosua is moving from a tourist town to a expat town with high end condos and villas. That's one safe bet for the changes taking place in town.
Book your stay, have a drink and relax while watching your favorite thing, chicas or the ocean, or both.
Cheers

drescape24

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004

Add to that, that the way the government is rolling out "the transition" is really messed up in the fact that in less than 2 months:
- They closed the streets = motoconchos and taxis suffering badly. One moto I know who is really popular used to be in front of Rumba, he has seen his income drop in half - and his wife is pregnant =(.
- They closed one big bar, Jolly burnt down (not the gov's fault) and we don't know what will happen with Rumba or what is next in the pipeline = more lost jobs
- A friend who owns a bizzz on the beach said that he has never seen business this bad in over 10 years, with low seasons - he let go of his 2 waitresses.

When people lose jobs - and I am talking about the people who live locally, have no money to feed their families - is it at all possible crime rates could go up??? I tend to think so.

And I am not talking crimes the likes of a chica cleaning out a gringo when he passes out with her in his house (I think that's his fault) - I am talking about robberies, on the street.

I think the governments approach to this has been backwards as always. First a new red light disctrict should have been establish with businesses who like the sex tourism having the option to open up shop there. Then transition over the businesses where you think the tourist will land (though I agree the cruisers will not be out at night) etc... The road closure I absolutely hate period so I didn't include that as my thought as a something to do later.

I think they just increased the likelihood of that one or two incidences happening.

Right now I feel very safe in Sosua, in fact I have never felt un safe in Sosua - to tell you the truth I feel safer in Sosua than Cabarete believe it or not. But causing all these people to lose work is not going to lead to anything good.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
the latest news conference brought news that the port will not open until mid 2015:
DIRECTOR DE PUERTO PLATA CIUDAD CRUCERISTA REVELA TERMINAL DE CRUCEROS COMENZARA OPERAR A MEDIADOS DEL 2015

personally i do not think it will be quite as impactful for the local communities as many claim or hope.

thanks for saying exactly what i wanted to, but was holding inside. Ocean World will be the only local business that will benefit from the cruise port. Carnival will take the rest.

I agree 100% with you Gorgon! Ocean World is clean safe family fun and easy to sell!

drescape24

May 29, 2006
Nothing like an hour ride in a bus so you can go to a beach with fifty shops all selling the same crap:

10897_10203836404168038_9218391933188956299_n.jpg

Playa Sosua is simply not that great of a beach for a day trip, esp with Caberete just down the road and a hundred kite surfers out in the bay.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I agree with your assessment 200% - but - and this is a big one... the government is taking something that could be a great thing and rolling it out in a way that is harmful to all. Not that there is anything anyone can do about it.

Robert says I have to post this here.....?
Apparently.....
How many threads do we need on this, not another one, that is for sure.
Closed.

OK, here it is.

I am retired, I am married, I don't chase Chicas, and I do like to go to Sosua for the Winter.
I like the large selection of places to eat, at reasonably prices.
I like the amount of English (that can be) spoken.

A lot of the Mongers spoke English.
They dropped a lot of $$.
They fueled many bars, but (more importantly) they kept many of the restaurants open.

The Town is now shooting themselves in the foot.

If the Mongers and Chicas are chased out.... many restaurants I like will close.

I don't look forward to going a place (a ghost town) called.... “The DR town formerly known as Sosua”

Without the Mongers and Chicas it will be a AI resort, a Beach, and a few place for old people to eat at.

Why would I go back to Sosua?[/QUOT
Ok, I don't see the ski falling! The reasons for you returning to Sosua are the reasons you came before.
As far as Sosua dying because the mongers will move on imho isn't so. What a lot of Dr1's don't want to believe is that the mongers don't spend the large amounts of money they think they do. Second they ignor that there is more non mongers that do vacation here than they are willing to admit.
Sosua will still be a place where a guy can come and do what he likes monger or non monger, rent a decent condo at a fair price, have plenty of nice places to eat. Enjoy the beach and friends.
Sosua is moving from a tourist town to a expat town with high end condos and villas. That's one safe bet for the changes taking place in town.
Book your stay, have a drink and relax while watching your favorite thing, chicas or the ocean, or both.
Cheers

drescape24

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I hope thats not true - about not returning

remember, that ship never stops and visits as many ports as possible over a given period of time

POP will never be a big stop for them.... the cabins are a few million each
Not really their kind of 'hood = POP or even RD

Big city mice live on that ship..... not country mice off for a weekend of free booze and food

i am aware of how The World operates, and that it was not expected to make many repeat visits. the fact is that the press release suggested that there was to have been a parade of other cruise ships into POP, right behind The World, and that it was the renaissance of that activity in POP. well, a little bad publicity goes a long way, as dv8 suggested.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Nothing like an hour ride in a bus so you can go to a beach with fifty shops all selling the same crap:

Playa Sosua is simply not that great of a beach for a day trip, esp with Caberete just down the road and a hundred kite surfers out in the bay.

You cant really compare Cab to Sosua - big ocean, big waves - to those not into water sports (like me) I prefer the 'bay' feel. Shallower water, calmer, snorkelling - that's my second beach choice when leaving Sosua is always the smaller beach near Playa Grande. Depends on what you look for in a beach.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Did you take that picture on your last visit to Sosua in 2004?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the average spend by cruise passengers in the caribbean is a little under 100 dollars per visit. they will be blowing that much in cabfare to and from Sosua.

May 29, 2006
Did you take that picture on your last visit to Sosua in 2004?

2006, but yeah. Has it actually changed??? I'd love to hear that it has..

This is from a YouTube post in 2013.. not seeing a major change--except for the blow up aligator.

59192_10203836502370493_3356391066740930642_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.