Ex-pats (3 or more years in the DR), any change of heart?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I am going to jump in.

Killer of most business: cash flow / capitalization - then GROWTH being too rapid or unplanned. Often a good electrician does not make a good electrical company owner. A good hair stylist does not make a good salon owner. different skill sets...... but you get my point I hope.

ALWAYS bad planning or lack of planning is involved. BUT sometimes businesses succeed in spite of lack of planning.

AND an MBA is a tool. Some people use it to be be better entrepreneurs. Others use it to be better bureaucrats, others better whatever.

Some use it just to have the piece of paper.

It is all about the person who has it, what they learned and how they applied. It doesn't automatically do anything!

Mountainannie I will be your friend!

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Where is the current expat meeting place? For a while it was Mi Taverna. That is some time ago now. What about a place in the Colonial Zone? Meson de Bari for instance.

flyingfox

Sep 10, 2008
I'll have to wait another year and four months before I can answer this one...but as a newby living amongst what I reckon to be real folks in a Barrio that will one day be a half-tidy neighbourhood...I have to say that the fear of crime against me or my family does not overwhelm me. The knowledge that we've had table, chairs, inverter batteries, mop, washing powder and beach sandals stolen by Ladrones who climbed our fence just annoyed me. We try to fit in with the locals, Dominicans and Haitians as much as possible and live a peaceful, if more tiring than I expected, life. But as yet family ties in the UK may yet mean this isn't my final 'home'. I may be a 'settler' who hasn't yet settled. Could need just a change of location here in the country, shorter commute or that 'lightbulb' moment when I 'fully commit' . The Atlantic is too wide for me to do the splits with one foot in each camp forever. As an ex-Police officer....I've got to say crime is never far away...but most people who"quietly live, quietly die"...and there is a lot you can do to make yourself a less-attractive target to the would-be mugger or worse. Having said all that I'll probably end up in an altercation one day with a Dominican 'driver' and hope we both smile and talk our way out of it. How nice to start off with words and frowns and to part shaking hands. If only it was always like this. Pero, por favor un atraccion de esto pais para mi estaba la gente amable, y con amistad...y todavia por el mejor es verdad (Y mi espanol muy malo eh?)
Regards...my two-pennyworth again!

flyingfox

Sep 10, 2008
I'll have to wait another year and four months before I can answer this one...but as a newby living amongst what I reckon to be real folks in a Barrio that will one day be a half-tidy neighbourhood...I have to say that the fear of crime against me or my family does not overwhelm me. The knowledge that we've had table, chairs, inverter batteries, mop, washing powder and beach sandals stolen by Ladrones who climbed our fence just annoyed me. We try to fit in with the locals, Dominicans and Haitians as much as possible and live a peaceful, if more tiring than I expected, life. But as yet family ties in the UK may yet mean this isn't my final 'home'. I may be a 'settler' who hasn't yet settled. Could need just a change of location here in the country, shorter commute or that 'lightbulb' moment when I 'fully commit' . The Atlantic is too wide for me to do the splits with one foot in each camp forever. As an ex-Police officer....I've got to say crime is never far away...but most people who"quietly live, quietly die"...and there is a lot you can do to make yourself a less-attractive target to the would-be mugger or worse. Having said all that I'll probably end up in an altercation one day with a Dominican 'driver' and hope we both smile and talk our way out of it. How nice to start off with words and frowns and to part shaking hands. If only it was always like this. Pero, por favor un atraccion de esto pais para mi estaba la gente amable, y con amistad...y todavia por el mejor es verdad (Y mi espanol muy malo eh?)
Regards...my two-pennyworth again!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
out.

I was going to start another thread but I will perhaps add another strand into this thread by saying that I am making a vow today not to befriend any more people with visas or enough money to get home since right now I am going through losing 4 friends at the same time--- one who has kids and two who are going back to grad school (OK-- I KNEW they were probably going to bolt at some point just not all at once) and one whom I decided finally, just did not like the country and spent most of the time bitching about it and so was not good for my head..... so have to make a crop of new ones... ok.. will do it... but it is one of the things that people simply cannot judge in advance on how hard it is going to be

The embolden part is so contra-AZB. hahaha!

And try to stay away from the fruitcake missionaries AND the "sociologists" here to write books on the turmoils and exploitation of people in the Dominican Republic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

And try to stay away from the fruitcake missionaries AND the "sociologists" here to write books on the turmoils and exploitation of people in the Dominican Republic.

Fruity as a nutcake...

You are rolling today

Won't you need to be a bit "politically correct" if they let you on the radio?

WW

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I am going to jump in.

Killer of most business: cash flow / capitalization - then GROWTH being too rapid or unplanned. Often a good electrician does not make a good electrical company owner. A good hair stylist does not make a good salon owner. different skill sets...... but you get my point I hope.

ALWAYS bad planning or lack of planning is involved. BUT sometimes businesses succeed in spite of lack of planning.

AND an MBA is a tool. Some people use it to be be better entrepreneurs. Others use it to be better bureaucrats, others better whatever.

Some use it just to have the piece of paper.

It is all about the person who has it, what they learned and how they applied. It doesn't automatically do anything!

Mountainannie I will be your friend!

Here is my example: Obviously the kid likes cars, ok. Now you understand this. So I can say that one can get a Lee Myles franchise with 1 year experience and $100,000 in capital. (Lee Myles is a competitor in the AAMCO, PepBoys, etc. auto repair industry. They position themselves above some facilities like Sears and Firestone, but below your dealer in transmission service/repair.) Now what I saw was a lot of guys who d work at an oil change place and then open a franchise only to have it fail because of the inability to manage the workload or procure the work. I dont have an MBA, but I knew how to use technology to my advantage. The $100K was not needed as much as the $660 I spent on this laptop at Walmart.

You can rent commercial/industrial space in most large cities for 50 cents a square foot as long as you dont care about the most recent amenities or location. Most vendors/suppliers(junkyards and recycling facilities) in large cities have computerized their inventories. Everything else can be acquired from jobbers or through an account with Home Depot.

I dont see having an MBA can make most business better especially if it teaches you to alienate your clientele(the record industry), muddy your product line while reducing quality(GM), nickel and dime everyone(AT&T), dont stand behind your product(Zenith), obsolete, unnecessary, undesirable, unavailable inventory(Kmart) or just dont understand there is competition out there that will take the food out of your mouth(Circuit City). Many more business have been ruined by MBAs, Ziff Davis used to can tuna and then decided to be a internet company, only to merge with CNET. And there is one company that made pianos abandoned that to make golf clubs.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Fruity as a nutcake...

You are rolling today

Won't you need to be a bit "politically correct" if they let you on the radio?

WW

I wouldnt say that on the radio, but I believe it. I m tired of these boneheads that come to Santiago to "spread the word" with Pastor Dave. They re idiots. I ran into some at the Pizza Hut on Calle Sol. "What do you mean you dont speak English in an American restaurant?" "Can I pay them in dollars?" "I ll just use my credit card..."
Here I got a ball point pen in my pocket, just let me write "NECIO" on your forehead and make it easier for you.

Reactions: xtoclark

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Prostitution is legal in Costa Rica. Sex workers are licensed -- by that I mean that they are regularly checked for STDs by the government, their earnings qualify for social security, AND they receive police protection.. perhaps that is why you have not heard of it as a "destination"-- since the shadier side of the sex tourism-- the pediphiles etc.. do not go there.......

On the up side of that, a john who is rolled by a hooker in CR will have the full force of the law on his side.

good point,
and Intl valid
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ok, sorry for sounding so naive, LOL . Indeed, I have never been to CR.
I have been to other central America countries though (Guatemala, Belize and Mex.) and didn't really feel that there were sex destinations.

I thought it was more obvious in the DR and Cuba in my experience.

Depressing nonetheless.....

Back to you Annie, why is that some sex destinations manage to attract more retirees than others ??

simply for cheaper flights from Europe or the states where the sick predators come from/o.k., I soften down and name them just "the at home less loved ones from all over" for the thread's Sake,
and of course for the cheaper "All IN" acommodations than a simple without Motel at home, and "MayBe" some cheaper labour work "may" come into the Game to hunt down that Big Game(has nothing to do with big game fishing, hey).

I don't find such depressing,
I know it is named Human Life, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I don't know about "more", maybe just a seedier class...

I would not say that Sex destins attract retirees,
it is simply that destins with low living costs where a retiree can live of his/her pension comfortably, that is what a retiree attracts, and of course with other important points like some watch the health services, low crime rates, languages spoken etc etc,
but there's a common point the retirees and the predators look onto in common,
and that's Low Living Costs
(the low living cost for a retiree is the let live low for the perv)
so that is a reason why both so very different groups (yes, I know some count to the same, but will not talk that, would be unfair to the big number of good folks out there, where ever I may find them one day) look onto the same destins.

Mike

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
sorry Buddy,
but those places are just for the ones who will never make it,
just the hot spots for the big BlahBlah's
ike

Well I went their for a while to Mi Taverna until it closed. It was a good sports bar to. And Meson de Bari is a very good restaurant and bar in the Colonial Zone. Very good Dominican food. I am not sure I understand what you mean Mike. That somebody going to these places will never make it. And never make what by the way?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
sorry Buddy,
but those places are just for the ones who will never make it,
just the hot spots for the big BlahBlah's
ike

I see the beer is flowing once again in PC this afternoon.

Happy 4th of July.

Go ARG!

terrible tambo'

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008

Happy 4th of July.

Go ARG!

terrible tambo'

Be carefull you are not to hung over for tomorrows game Mike. You may not make it for kickoff. If Germany reach the final you should come into to Santo Domingo and see it next sunday at the German House.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

lololol
Hey,
why such is so anti-AZB???
he's just a poor Easterner seeking in LA the company he couldn't get in the States,
so what??
If you come from the lowest level of that far away country and you get the Luck to get booked finally as a nearly American citizen(I leave it to each Human to seek or avoid such by own taste) and you can leave the low level there to be a low-mid -level in a poor 3rd world country, heck, I applaud AZB to his achievements, doesn't matter they been achieved all by himself or by the hard work of his father or who ever brought the Family to the promised Land.
You Guys have to respect each Human's standing,
something I miss a lot on this Thread/Subject.
I can fully understand that such Roots seek for neighboured Powers, to be with or at least around or nearby People from higher classes, to drive a 2011 Jeepeta which could not be achieved or purchased on the own,
Do you guys never have Draems??
leave each Dreamer live his/her Dream,
I am myself a very big Dreamer Myself,
even not at the end of the line,
I achieved some dreams
and I go on Dreaming.
or what would be a Life without a Goal to Achieve?
like Big Brazil on the World Cup:
not worth to live that Dream.
and don't ya dare anybody to touch a delete button on this Post of MINE!
write yourself from your heart and leave mine to my own chest.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Here is my example: Obviously the kid likes cars, ok. Now you understand this. So I can say that one can get a Lee Myles franchise with 1 year experience and $100,000 in capital. (Lee Myles is a competitor in the AAMCO, PepBoys, etc. auto repair industry. They position themselves above some facilities like Sears and Firestone, but below your dealer in transmission service/repair.) Now what I saw was a lot of guys who d work at an oil change place and then open a franchise only to have it fail because of the inability to manage the workload or procure the work. I dont have an MBA, but I knew how to use technology to my advantage. The $100K was not needed as much as the $660 I spent on this laptop at Walmart.

You can rent commercial/industrial space in most large cities for 50 cents a square foot as long as you dont care about the most recent amenities or location. Most vendors/suppliers(junkyards and recycling facilities) in large cities have computerized their inventories. Everything else can be acquired from jobbers or through an account with Home Depot.

I dont see having an MBA can make most business better especially if it teaches you to alienate your clientele(the record industry), muddy your product line while reducing quality(GM), nickel and dime everyone(AT&T), dont stand behind your product(Zenith), obsolete, unnecessary, undesirable, unavailable inventory(Kmart) or just dont understand there is competition out there that will take the food out of your mouth(Circuit City). Many more business have been ruined by MBAs, Ziff Davis used to can tuna and then decided to be a internet company, only to merge with CNET. And there is one company that made pianos abandoned that to make golf clubs.

that's an unfair post bashing the american great Economy and it's Keycompanies and Invading foreign Intelligence of the last decades from the far East.
not fair.
but I agree completely.
just my 2 cents,

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

Happy 4th of July.

Go ARG!

terrible tambo'
no Ian,
no drinks today,
that will be taken tomorrow after a hopefully big Victory over Argentine.
what I meant in my post above been simply My opinion about the typical Expats meeting spots mentioned by John,
and yes,
I meant exactly that I personally avoid them like hell because I did til today of the many available not find any where I would have felt comfo, because at none I liked the present People and their big mouth talking,
and I guess my today not Presi influenced Mind's Opinion is allowed to post.
and of course I have no prob if some has a different opinion,
that's something I am very used to and enjoy day by day.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Be carefull you are not to hung over for tomorrows game Mike. You may not make it for kickoff. If Germany reach the final you should come into to Santo Domingo and see it next sunday at the German House.

no hang over probs for the lil time from today's til the final on the 11th.
If the Germans make it there I will watch it at a special place,
yep,
that place is not a public one.
Mike