Expats and The Regularization Plan

Expats, what's your situation regarding the regularization plan?

• I'm a Dominican citizen.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I've been legal since before the plan started.

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • I regularized my status after the plan started.

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I'm in the process of regularizing.

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • I'm illegal and will stay put.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • I'm illegal and planning to leave the country soon.

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This poll is coming in with a relatively small sample within what should be expected from the available information on number of non Haitian foreigners at onset of Regularization plan and biometric cedula renewals plus estimations of expats taking up plan and other visas.

Bravo the poster in another thread who suggested the 17,000 number which is plus or minus in the right area.

Still a large number of other foreigners and easy to identify where the bulk live.

A personal opinion is that the French/Italian community in Samana has a higher percentage of residual illegals.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm just waiting for my free ticket out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Joke... but if you fly out of the DR don't expect to be let back into the country. That is the rub. You now have no documentation that allows you to stay indefinitely in the DR. If you think you are smarter than everyone else...ignorance is bliss.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
On the flip side of the coin, a punny piece of plastified hard plastic, sadly doesnt protect anyone here......

If some politico wakes up one morning and for whatever reason, decides to change the migracion law pro actively..... we are all back to square 1.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the flip side of the coin, a punny piece of plastified hard plastic, sadly doesnt protect anyone here......

If some politico wakes up one morning and for whatever reason, decides to change the migracion law pro actively..... we are all back to square 1.

The chance you take. I myself do not worry about something that unlikely.

I need that plastic card to get another plastic card called a driver's license. And it helps in banking and insurance.

Apr 7, 2014

Why wouldnt they? There is more money in that. Especially when the US dollar fails and people try to flee the ensuing police state. They can sell citizenship to the highest bidder...for a while, until the DR fails when those dollar remesas stop coming.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The chance you take. I myself do not worry about something that unlikely.

I need that plastic card to get another plastic card called a driver's license. And it helps in banking and insurance.

No chances taken here, either. I have my plastic card. Just saying in the big scheme of things in doesnt mean squat.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Joke... but if you fly out of the DR don't expect to be let back into the country.

Huh? I admit I am currently here on an overstayed tourist visa. So if I fly back to the UK to start the normal residency process at the DR embassy in London, they won't let me back in to the DR to complete the process?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Huh? I admit I am currently here on an overstayed tourist visa. So if I fly back to the UK to start the normal residency process at the DR embassy in London, they won't let me back in to the DR to complete the process?

No. He means those that decide not to do anything about it.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I don't think anyone will have any issues returning to the DR unless actuall deported in the first place.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Dominican government will pay the transport cost fir anyone that voluntarily decides to leave the country with no penalties imposed on their biometric data. This offer ends on July 6.

volu.jpg

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh isn't that nice now that the majority are homeless and stranded at the border they'll take the for rest free.

Sorry felt like being sarcastic. :(

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Oh isn't that nice now that the majority are homeless and stranded at the border they'll take the for rest free.

Sorry felt like being sarcastic. :(

Dont you mean stranded on their way home. THE majority on Haitians in the DR have not gone anywhere.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The Dominican government will pay the transport cost fir anyone that voluntarily decides to leave the country with no penalties imposed on their biometric data. This offer ends on July 6.

volu.jpg

The way I read it, they will pay for free GROUND transport to the airport or frontier border crossing point. I don't see anything about biometeric data(?). If Haitians had any biometric data to begin with, they probably wouldn't have had to leave(?).

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I hate going to Migration with all the stupid people and crazy regulations. One example the no crime report from your local city of birth. I was born in transit and never lived in the city of my birth. I had to find and pay a lawyer to go and explain to the police department what this strange request was for. The police department never herd of this. $500 dollars more for cost of process . The thing for Dominican migration to do that would be smart is to have you get one from your home of residence not birth. Many Americans never live in the city of their birth. This is only one of the many irrational requirements .

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
Hi All, Moving to Sosua this summer. I bought a Restaurant/Bar there. I was wondering what I need to do to becaome a legal resident since these changes have started. Any info is appreciated. Thx Maco