FA Cup Final at Eddy's

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It isn't the game on the field that is exciting in England, it is the rioting in the stands.

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
in the u.k., the build up to the f.a. cup can last all day, or at least until the match starts. there is plenty of time for your blimp shots, pop and rock bands, "it?s a knockout!", etc.
when the match starts, the brits like to concentrate on the football (and beer). there is no time for jollities during the game, it is serious stuff. the cameramen, etc. have to get it right. at half-time there will probably be a marching band, but tv watchers will probably watch the panel of "experts" or rush to get more beer.

the superbowl on the other hand takes pride in interspersing the boredom with loads of blimp shots, adverts and american football player profiles. the game is completely controlled by the telly channels, hence the four quarters (for more adverts). unlike rugby they keep stopping the action when somebody gets floored (despite all the body armour), therefore more adverts and blimp shots. an hour?s game is spread out to fill four or five hours.

what is worse, the next day, the majority of reports are not about the game, but which of the advertisements was the most expensive, or the funniest, etc.

.........i'll take watching the game anyday.

as for formula1 against american racing - at least they race in formula 1. everytime something happens in an american race or someone gets too far ahead they pull out the yellow flags to let everyone catch up again. and why are they so frightened to race when it is raining?
.......well, i would like to see an american driving in formula 1, but they need to keep practising for a few more years yet.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
getonwithit said:

as for formula1 against american racing - at least they race in formula 1. everytime something happens in an american race or someone gets too far ahead they pull out the yellow flags to let everyone catch up again. and why are they so frightened to race when it is raining?
.......well, i would like to see an american driving in formula 1, but they need to keep practising for a few more years yet.

They only stop racing in the rain at oval track events. there isn't a rain tire in the world that would keep a Champcar on the track in a corner doing 200 mph.
They race in the rain on road course just like everywhere else. F.Y.I Even F-1 races have been called when the rain gets too hard and safety is compromised.
There are many American drivers that would be more than competitive in F-1 but Racing is a sponsor driven sport. Most US companies will go with the market they are after. Ford will market American Drivers in NASCAR and Foriegn drivers in F-1(Jaguar). Currently there are many drivers in F-1 who got there through there experiences in the US. particularly in Champcars(CART) Villeneuve, Montoya and DaMatta are all Past CART Champs.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rain and stuff

Remember Guerney(sp?)

Seems to me there was a bruhaha about debris that red flagged a race and they were not sure who had won..

Yellows are for debris or accidents that leave oil and water on the track. Like Tony says at 320 kph you don't want a puncture!//

This is a fun thread..

HB

No comments on u.s. vs f?tbol...differect strokes....

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Robert said:
I like it when they go the over way and clean up!
Remember Mansell?

I remember quite well when Mansell ran away with the CART Championship his first year here. He had great skill but remember he was also driving for the Best team at the time(Newman/Haas. I also recall him stinking up the joint in his 2nd year in CART.
F-1 has had to American World Driving Champs. Phill Hill and Mario Andretti. Mark Donahue and Peter Revson were also potential Champs who careers were cut short.
One of my Fav US drivers was Rick Mears. I remember when he went to test with Brabham and he set a faster time than Nelson Piquet and that was in Piquet's car. A car that would Piquet would drive to the 1st of his 3 driving titles.
How about Dominican Drivers? There was one truly great Domincan Driver on the world scene. Can anybody guess who? I'll give a hit. There is somebody on DR-1 who use this drivers name as a screen name.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I was 12 years old I had one Idol! Juan Fangio

That was the last "age" when I could still fit in a "Formula One" car!I used to push my "Match Box" cars around the porch and "win" every race! Cris Colon

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
Tony C said:
How about Dominican Drivers? There was one truly great Domincan Driver on the world scene. Can anybody guess who? I'll give a hit. There is somebody on DR-1 who use this drivers name as a screen name.

i'm sure you're not talking about the great jacintico getonwithit, so you are probably thinking of porfirio rubirosa!

like rick mears, michael andretti did a lot of successful testing for mclaren, very fast.
when it came to racing though, he had trouble completing a lap, let alone a race.

in a previous post you mentioned montoya - he quite definitely got his racing experience in the uk with formula 3 and f3000.
going to cart was a time filler before he got his place in f1.
the fact that they called him a "rookie" gave the mistaken impression that he had no previous racing experience at all.
how he was able to make the transition so easily and alex zanardi couldn't, i just don't know (j. villeneuve was just lucky and got in the right car at the right time).

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Notice to ALL

Please, if you want me to continue to follow this thread don't mention Villeneuve again. I'm presently trying to have his Canadian Citizenship revoked. Lost to many recent bets on him.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Actually Michael Andretti's Downfall was a lack of testing. F-1 imposed test restrictions that year so he never got to test on many of the tracks until he showed up on the race weekend. Lots of oloitics were involved also. Remember he was fired after a fine 3rd place at Monza.

Everybody is a rookie when they joina new series. Mansell was a rookie his first year in CART.

Porfiro Rubirosa is right. he was a fine Sportscar racer in his day. I recently saw some footage of him in the Carrera Panamericana. now that was a race.

I see that Luis mendez was once again named racer of the year in the DR. What a surprise huh? What ever happened to Adrian Abreu?

Eddy,
Serves you right for putting money on J.V.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Although a die hard F1 fan, I really miss the Aussie V8 series.

I drove round Bathurst a few times as it's open to the public,
50% is used as an everyday road.

I remember doing 25-30kmh through "The Dipper" and crapping
myself, the V8 guys now days are hitting 90-100kmh and airborne :)

Bathurst (Mount Panorama) is a great example of a whole town that supports and promotes it's race track. In my opinion one of the best and most challenging race tracks in the world. Most of the top European touring car guys love this place and visit at least once a year to have a go at it and try and take on the Aussies. I'm starting to get goose bumps...

So tell me, what are you favorite tracks and why?

A word on JV. I'm so looking forward to Button finishing with more points and JV trying to find a paid drive for 2004.

What has all this got to do with the DR? Nothing!
Now go away and stop bugging us motosport fans :)

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
button - now there?s a driver for the future.

mansell was around for a long time, before his first win, then won something like three in a row. i never liked him much for all his whinging, but he definitely brought a lot of excitement to formula 1.
the number of times he was more than 10 seconds behind the leader with 10 laps to go and ended up passing and winning just doesn?t happen anymore.

button has and will have all those qualities once he gets his first win, plus he?ll be around a lot longer (touch wood).

- as an afterthought, i do have faith in bar honda.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, Luis Mendez won again

Abreu has faded into the dust. After that fatal accident, he didn't seem to have it anymore.

never liked him anyway. He used the streets of Santiago to practice on.

Can you all imagine a Santiago-POP race, just one way, over the Luperon Highway??

Just kidding...
HB

Oh, and Robert: I get those V8 races oon the Telly..don't you?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Yes, Luis Mendez won again

Hillbilly said:
Abreu has faded into the dust. After that fatal accident, he didn't seem to have it anymore.

Can you all imagine a Santiago-POP race, just one way, over the Luperon Highway??

Just kidding...
HB

Oh, and Robert: I get those V8 races oon the Telly..don't you?

What fatal accident?

Hmmmm a race from Santigo to POP? Well? Lets get it going! Better yet a rallye around the island! Starting and ending in Santo Domingo.

The Carrera Hispaniola! I like the way that sounds.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: Re: Yes, Luis Mendez won again

Tony C said:

The Carrera Hispaniola! I like the way that sounds.

Good idea. There's a stretch of road on the Carretera Sanchez after you leave Bani and go out to Azua which is probably 15 miles straight and people like to get all "Fast and the Curious" with their cars on the strip.........and the road is actually good out there!

I knew some person in DR whose brother decided to use the Autopista Duarte as his personal video game racetrack, with cops on his ass and everything. The guy was the first person to import the latest generation BMW M5 to DR.........he had quite a few "Cepillos"* :laugh: :D on him and made it from Santo Domingo to San Francisco de Macoris in about 55 minutes! He said he was doing about 155 mph or something like that.......

*Cepillos= Volkswagen Beetles as they are called in DR hehe