Fail to Access U.S. Website

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
on related note, i cannot access any of the... hmm... monger sites, let's call it like that. i get the following message:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

same results when i use local provider, VPN and mobile phone.

A "VPN" server allows you to choose where your IP connects to. You have a choice of many different countries including the US. If you are connected through VPN using a US IP address, you will no longer have the problems you are experiencing. Again, the free Opra browser is said to have a free VPN.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
TOR is a browser for "the dark web". DO NOT use it without a VPN and make sure you understand how to use it safely before logging on or you will pay the price. Things like closing all other browsers, not expanding the browser to fit the entire screen, putting a piece of tape over your web camera to name just a few.. Lot's of differences that most people are not use to when using the TOR browser.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-safe-to-use-Tor-Browser-How-do-you-use-it

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A "VPN" server allows you to choose where your IP connects to. You have a choice of many different countries including the US. If you are connected through VPN using a US IP address, you will no longer have the problems you are experiencing. Again, the free Opra browser is said to have a free VPN.

i am going through US IP.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i am going through US IP.

then you have something in your settings masking the VPN IP or your browser is causing the issue. I sometimes have problems like you described when using chrome and the VPN. I had did the "addons" thing. After I de-added it from Chrome, my problems went away. You could also try switching to another US IP address if your VPN and Browser are not connected together.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
TOR is a browser for "the dark web". DO NOT use it without a VPN and make sure you understand how to use it safely before logging on or you will pay the price. Things like closing all other browsers, not expanding the browser to fit the entire screen, putting a piece of tape over your web camera to name just a few.. Lot's of differences that most people are not use to when using the TOR browser.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-safe-to-use-Tor-Browser-How-do-you-use-it

Don't do that , dv8 !!
We're all waiting for your initiation !!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i tried different browsers and forced change in IP address, same results.
my laptop does not have web camera.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
i tried different browsers and forced change in IP address, same results.
my laptop does not have web camera.

Are you using a VPN, or just a company here in the DR with a US IP?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
regular VPN service.

Try the one I recommended. I know that one works. In fact it is so good that with my US IP I was refused Direct access to Dominican Today. They wanted a photo test of sorts.

And the cost is $40 for one year. You can use it on multiple devices, including cell phones.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing. Using a VPN it is best to log onto the VPN BEFORE opening your browser, not after.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
u.s. website lockout

these are regular open sites. i ain't smart enough to access and use the dark web, if that's what you mean by TOR.
if you want i can PM you site addresses i am talking about, maybe it's just my computer that has an issue. gotta gave miesposo check it.

I run LInux (Ubuntu). The Tor browser is readily available; however, even by reviews of Ubuntu users, it receives a negative rating as being plagued with problems. My first attempt to use it = fail on install. So I will search for another solution; not worth troubleshooting for a one-off problem (mymedicare.gov log-in fail).

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014

Thank you for this help. I am running Ubuntu. I installed Opera 40, turned on the VPN, and I cannot access ANY website, including google.com Nothing loads and no time-out after ten minutes of waiting to load. My next step will be to investigate changing DNS from my router.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

I use this VPN. Just connected to https://www.mymedicare.gov/ with no problem from the DR.

O.P. I misspoke. I can access mymedicare.gov but access is denied to log-in to my account. Opera browser version 40 with free VPN failed to load any website, including google.com Now I will investigate changing my DNS in my router. If that fails I will try your recommend. It costs so little that it is worth a try. Thanks.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
router DNS lockout

If you have access to your router, try changing/setting the DSN's to Google Public DNS's, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

When I used Claro's provided DSN's in the past there were at times certain sites that I could not access to.

Sucks! Sucks! Sucks! I just spent half an hour writing out addresses of open DNS servers in the United States so I could enter settings for three addresses.

Then I went to the Advanced settings of my router to find the DNS server settings. They don't exist! All server settings are locked and not available to the end user. Tricom here is using the same router here that infamous Time Warner Cable uses in the U.S. It is their way or the highway.

Bummer. I even found an online manual for a Sagecom server that does have the appropriate settings but that UI is completely different from mine! I'm now going to try privateinternetaccess.com and see if that works.

But thank you for your suggestion! Maybe it will help someone else!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You do not have to necessarily change the dns servers in the router, you can specify which dns servers your computer uses within windows. It's not hard. if you are interested, I'll write how to do this tomorrow.

I'll need to know which version of windows you are using.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You do not have to necessarily change the dns servers in the router, you can specify which dns servers your computer uses within windows. It's not hard. if you are interested, I'll write how to do this tomorrow.

That's why I procured my own personal router/modem for use with my ISP.

This may be of help.

Keeping in mind that it will only be for the individual computer.
Any other computers, including wi-fi connections will still use your router's DNS servers.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Keeping in mind that it will only be for the individual computer.
Any other computers, including wi-fi connections will still use your router's DNS servers.

Correct these dns override settings will only apply to the computer they are enabled on.

OP:

Try logging into your supplied router using:

Account: Password:
root root
admin admin

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Looks like I've been 86'd by the Feds! I've been living in the D.R. for almost ten years and have had no problems accessing all manner of websites in the U.S.

One exception is metropcs.com --error code 16, blocked by security rules.

I have tried multiple browsers (five) with the same effect.

Now I need to access CMS for my Medicare account: mymedicare.gov and I receive the error message: Could not connect. Connection refused. I seriously doubt that the problem is on my end as I access all manner of sites in the U.S. including three banking accounts.

I rather think that my IP address is recognized as "Not U.S." and I am being denied.

If anyone has an extra minute, could you please try accessing mymedicare.gov ?? If you can access the home page, click on any link and see if you can access the site more deeply.

Anyone have this problem? Solution? I am thinking about setting up a VPN with a server in the U.S. but this would be a tall order for use on a single site.

OP: SOLUTION FOUND. Thanks to a member here, the solution turned out to be privateinternetaccess.com This site is cross-platform--Windows, Mac, Linux, and has superior documentation (very nice for Linux). I was a little miffed that I had to put money down on my debit card ($6.95) for one month before I could navigate the site and decide IF I wanted to pay. I also noted that they have a seven day money back guarantee. In fact, my Ubuntu install failed multiple times but tech support was quite responsive. I, however, was the one who solved my problem, not tech support. I cancelled to receive my refund but my account is still operation for one month. I wasn't trying to cheat. The website initially failed for me, so I wanted my money back. I solved the problem after the refund was in work. So, indeed, after a proper install, i picked a Favorite from the list, United States. This country appeared in my program icon on my taskbar, click on that, and immediately I am connected to a server in Florida. I then go to mymedicare.gov and I CAN LOGIN SUCCESSFULLY for the first time! Yes! Now I have the bloody, crappy news that CMS is going to double bill me on my Part B premium because they are one month ahead.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am glad you followed my advice. But if you are happy get the yearly price of $40. It is good on multiple machines at the same time.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014

Thanks. Don't assume that everyone uses Windoze! LOL! I have been running Linux since about 2002!! Anyway, I have my solution: privateinternetaccess.com It is cross-platform: Windows, Mac, Linux, excellent documentation, and it solved a problem. I wrote a summary after my first post.