Fail to Access U.S. Website

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
I am glad you followed my advice. But if you are happy get the yearly price of $40. It is good on multiple machines at the same time.

Thanks. Still working with tech support. I have no access to settings. Unity DE (Ubuntu 17.10) has no menu. I have to say that the website has excellent documentation but the jury is still out on how well this works with Ubuntu. It certainly has not worked out of the box. Soon I will upgrade to the next Long Term Support iteration of Ubuntu -- maybe it'll work better on that. Meanwhile, I accessed my website, which I could never do before or, put it this way, I could access the site but not log-in to access inside the site (my account).

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
I've been using Strong VPN https://strongvpn.com/ to access U.S. websites that geo block. It's not free, and I forget what I paid for one year of service, but it wasn't too bad. They have an app that runs on your device, Windows, MAC OS, IOS, and Android (probably Linux too), which routes all your internet traffic through their servers, it was super simple to setup. They have servers all around the world, and you can pick your exit point to get an I.P. address in the location you desire. Once you're connected, it appears to any web sites that you're browsing, like you're in the exit location.

I use it for many geo blocked web sites, and there are a lot of them, like Southwest Airlines, which you can't access from DR. I also occasionally run it on my smart phone for apps that are also geo blocked. Their basic service will allow you to connect up to three devices simultaneously, but if you get a VPN-enabled router, you can have all of your devices run through VPN.

thiawroane

Apr 11, 2013
Plug and play VPN routers

I've been using Strong VPN https://strongvpn.com/ to access U.S. websites that geo block. It's not free, and I forget what I paid for one year of service, but it wasn't too bad. They have an app that runs on your device, Windows, MAC OS, IOS, and Android (probably Linux too), which routes all your internet traffic through their servers, it was super simple to setup. They have servers all around the world, and you can pick your exit point to get an I.P. address in the location you desire. Once you're connected, it appears to any web sites that you're browsing, like you're in the exit location.

I use it for many geo blocked web sites, and there are a lot of them, like Southwest Airlines, which you can't access from DR. I also occasionally run it on my smart phone for apps that are also geo blocked. Their basic service will allow you to connect up to three devices simultaneously, but if you get a VPN-enabled router, you can have all of your devices run through VPN.

For those less technically inclined, there are providers who will install VPN on the router, enabling you to simply connect to the router and have all traffic protected, regardless of device. I ordered an InvizBox Pro2 router with IPVanish VPN. I'll let you know how it turns out, but IPVanish is one of the more popular VPNs out there. Dual band 400Mbps Router and 2 years VPN service for less than $250. https://www.invizbox.com/products/invizbox-2/#compare-2

Last edited:

eirian

Apr 25, 2012
@ Lucas 61
Use a VPN... If you don't feel like paying for one, try Hole VPN - not the greatest out there, but it'll do the job you need it for...