Feedback, please

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
You DO realize that 600 pesos is about $15????

i would guess he is living at a place where they share the electricity costs between different tenants, and he has a fix set 600.- pesos per month fee to pay for elec.
that's dead cheap, a present, as even the minimum consumption fees for elec are more than 600.-.
we pay here with 2 bedrooms, 2 adults and 1 baby, A/C only used for the baby to cool the room during hot summer nights before she goes asleep, 3.500.- -4.300.- pesos per month.
working online means you can do your job from which ever location on the globe where you have internet, so i would recommend to get that job/start that business Before you arrive in the DR, so the only point to get done fast after arrival would be to have a sufficient reliable Internet Connection. i work online myself 24/7, the unlimited Data Internet Stick from Claro is sufficient for my needs on the net and keeps me mobile, i can use it at home, on the road, on the ranch, on the boats, everywhere where i want to be i can check in the newest stuff coming in to be answered/done.
you asked about jobs like Tourguide etc,
here in Punat Cana, the tourguides who are not certified guides with the association, make 1.500.- pesos per day and get 2-4 tours per week, that's an example from outback safari on their VIP tour Jungle Rallye, and you have to speak the languages and pay for your own transportation to come to work. to get a job in tourism is not difficult, but to get a decent paid job in tourism as a new kid in town is almost impossible, as there are loooong line ups for the few good jobs.
start your online business before moving down on the Isle, thats a good backup and in case the DR comes out not to be your Dreamland you still have your business and can continue to run it from back home again or elsewhere.

good luck

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i would guess he is living at a place where they share the electricity costs between different tenants, and he has a fix set 600.- pesos per month fee to pay for elec.

Mike

No Mike, he has a private home. It may be news to many, but there are A LOT of homes that are on an old 'fixed rate' contract for electricity. You pay the same amount every month regardless of what you use. There is no meter on the house.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know all that many places with low daily rate in POP... i remember this dude who wanted to backpack DR (what happened to him?) who made me look for cheap POP hotels and the only decent place i could come up with was this hotel close to the cathedral, 600 pesos a day or so. i can dig this info out again if needed.

also in an old center of POP there is meeting place: Meeting Place Puerto Plata
in the winter they have weekly meetings, sometimes lectures, sometimes movies. sometimes it is interesting. i have been there few times.

but as a word of warning: gringos are just as trustworthy as motoconcho guys :) so be careful as well.

One expat told me a couple of years ago he paid zero because edenorte had a asked for permission to place an transformator in his garden. He had ac running in the house all the time because the luz were free. I have not seen it with my eyes, so i cant confirm it.

Anyone aware if such aggrements exist down here?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i do not know all that many places with low daily rate in POP... i remember this dude who wanted to backpack DR (what happened to him?) who made me look for cheap POP hotels and the only decent place i could come up with was this hotel close to the cathedral, 600 pesos a day or so. i can dig this info out again if needed.

also in an old center of POP there is meeting place: Meeting Place Puerto Plata
in the winter they have weekly meetings, sometimes lectures, sometimes movies. sometimes it is interesting. i have been there few times.

but as a word of warning: gringos are just as trustworthy as motoconcho guys :) so be careful as well.

the most dangerous strangers to ripp you off your money/car/bike/iphone/everything are the expats coming from your own homecountry/speak the same language than you, as a newbie always seems to search for them and trusts their judgement and big mouth speechs much more than the advise of a local who may not speak much or no english.
most of the failing short term expats(means the ones who fail fully after just a short term on the Isle) do fail because a tricky expat out of their own culture/country/same language speaking country took the usual advantage of their newbie naivity.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly, mike. this is how con men operate... it pays off to remember that making friends is not done within a day. so just take your time before you trust anyone with anything :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Rattus", has your friend who sets his air conditioner at "24 Degrees" been checked on lately?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
DIAMETRIC,............"Do IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Just be aware that, "The Best way to leave The DR With A Million Dollars,...........Is To Come With Two"!!!!!!!
Anyone who is "Too Friendly" the first time you meet them, and wants to "Help" you,isn't your friend, and wants to HELP him/her self ONLY!!!!
Ask yourself, before you do anything,...."Would I Be Doing This Where I am from"?????
Would I be In a neighborhood like THIS, talking to a person Like This?
Would I be in bed with a person like THIS????
The last question, is a bit of a "Trick" question.
You may be able to have sex with women 10 times more beautiful than you ever had "Back Home"!!!(I Do)
THAT's A GOOD Thing!
Just make sure you know "WHY" she is with you.
THAT, can be a "Bad Thing"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
---------------------------------
You may be able to have sex with women 10 times more beautiful than you ever had "Back Home"!!!(I Do)
THAT's A GOOD Thing!
Just make sure you know "WHY" she is with you.
THAT, can be a "Bad Thing"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCCc
---------------------------
it is a GOOOOD thing.
but it sure turns into a bad thing when you start to believe it happened for anything else than some advantages gained for her.

Mike

May 29, 2006
Why any Ex-pat would live in POP is a mystery to me. Costambar is just down the road(compared to Sosua) and it's a quick commute if you are working in POP.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Why any Ex-pat would live in POP is a mystery to me. Costambar is just down the road(compared to Sosua) and it's a quick commute if you are working in POP.

That's a great question, and my S.O and I discussed this lastnight. I found a few apartments in Costambar and Sosua that looked great for my needs. However, my concern was that I will be in town by myself for up to 6 months before she is able to join me. Myt fear is that in the (what appear to be) more remote/less populated towns (like Costambar and Sosua/Cabarete) I would be more cut off and potentially more isolated. POP appears to be larger with more going on. While I am looking forward to a slower pace of life....fishing, reading, assimilating etc...I don't want to become too cut off that I get lonely. That's why we decided on the larger town of POP.

By all means, if there is an argument to be made for either of the others towns, I would be greatful to hear it. Nothing is set in stone execpt for my arrivel to an AI on 10/1. After that I'm open to suggestion. So, I would love to hear others on why "town near POP is better then POP for a newcomer byhimself".

Also, I won't have my own tranportation...at least initially. I could get a moto or bike of some type, but at first it's the ol' heel-toe express or taxti/motoconcho.

Thank you again.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
While I am looking forward to a slower pace of life....fishing, reading, assimilating etc...I don't want to become too cut off that I get lonely. That's why we decided on the larger town of POP.

Thank you again.
Assimilation? Sorry mate but you will never be like them! Just be yourself!

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
the most dangerous strangers to ripp you off your money/car/bike/iphone/everything are the expats coming from your own homecountry/speak the same language than you, as a newbie always seems to search for them and trusts their judgement and big mouth speechs much more than the advise of a local who may not speak much or no english.
most of the failing short term expats(means the ones who fail fully after just a short term on the Isle) do fail because a tricky expat out of their own culture/country/same language speaking country took the usual advantage of their newbie naivity.

Mike

What about the newbies with big stories? Yes they owned the hottest nightclub in Berlin, South Beach or Ibiza.. making thousands US a night.. but you know they wanted to enjoy life so they came to the RD for a relaxing life.. However they are the person who cannot stay quiet too long so they dont mind starting up something in the DR.. They money the made is somewhere hidden so they just need someone to finance the new company.. profits are 50-50 and he will do all the work.. you just give him some money in advance.. trust him! he is a good guy!

"Rattus", has your friend who sets his air conditioner at "24 Degrees" been checked on lately?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CC

I tried to very polite ask him to control his meter. But I have been burned to much down here trying to help people with their problems- it always ends up with me being the one to blame. I am not going into this trap again.

He is not my friend, we use english as a way of communicate, he is a elderly nice guy. thats all.

You probably know what i mean.

May 29, 2006
Sosua has ten times as many Ex-pats as POP and you can glean a lot of info from them. Cabarete is much smaller, but the beach is far nicer. It's a little more expensive in terms of restaurants, but the quality is also better.

If you don't have transport, then a smaller town also makes sense because you can do everything by foot. In general, I like the smaller towns. The main downside of Sosua is its rep as a monger haven, but most of the action starts well after dark. At this time of year, there are far fewer chicas from out of town that cause most of the problems.

When I eventually move back to the DR, I'll either settle in Cabrera or a smaller town up in the mountains. Being by a beach is nice, but you get used to it after a few months.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Man I wish you luck. The DR is hard. find a hoby and not toto and beer. This place is for old men on penshions and SS checks . It can get very lonley and expensive you can not just sit in the house and if you go out it cost. You well see .

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
After reading through this thread since my earlier post, I would add two more things. First, I'm not sure Rosetta Stone will be much help. The language the average Dominican uses bears little resemblance to the Spanish you learn in school. For instance there is no "S" in the Dominican alphabet. Second, you should be just as wary of helpful expats as of locals. Many of them are in the D.R. because they are no longer welcome in their home countries. Again, good luck. DR1 is your friend (really!).

Do as i did when i arrived on POP with close to zero in practical langauge skills: Listen when they speak, Open your mouth and try to say the same words- do not be afraid for people laughing of you for speaking poorly. You will understand the language very quickly, like within half a year.

And do not hang out with gringos just because they speak the same language as you do. If you do, your Gratis language school will be way more difficult.