Fernando Rainieri died!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
He apparently tried to avoid a bus pulling onto the highway and lost control, probably due to high speed. This legs got badly injured (big man in a small car), one was amputated the same day and he needed several blood transfusions. Also suffered 2 heart attacks in the process. The next day doctors declared him brain dead and the family made the decision to disconnect him.

Hard hit for that closeknit family. His father passed away not 2 years ago and he was married with 2 kids.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
In one of the videos I posted, at a certain point they show a photo of Fernando while in the car and it looks as if his right leg got amputated in the accident. The skin appear to hang over where the knee is suppose to be while under the steering wheel is visible what appears to be the lower part of the leg.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks, that's one video I WON'T be watching!!
In one of the videos I posted, at a certain point they show a photo of Fernando while in the car and it looks as if his right leg got amputated in the accident. The skin appear to hang over where the knee is suppose to be while under the steering wheel is visible what appears to be the lower part of the leg.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Hmm, i wonder what happened? The front end of the Porsche is totally undamaged (you can see it at the end of the video). All the damage seems to be in the rear and on the sides.
My guess is direct side impact on driver door. The vehicle could have been traveling opposite direction from the other side of the road, he slid it out on an overcorrection, impacted cement pole or abutement, and the vehicle was catapulted over medium to where it ended up facing opposite direction of travel. Based on what looks to be the motor and other car parts on the other side of the road. It's amazing the car did not wrap around whatever he hit. His rate of speed was probably so great that the car didn't wrap or the angle in which the impact occured caused a very violent glancing blow...a literal explosion.

Porches are light and back end loaded. They are very difficult to control at high rates of speed if the back end starts to slide out. My guess is he may have spun into the impact as well. A full spin or one and a half spins.

Terrible.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Same way the man who saved my life Dr. Mathew Strouch got in a deadly accident driving his Porche Carrera here in Raleigh.
This happened about two month ago.

RIP.

JJ

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Fernando Rainieri was also the franchisee of Wendy´s for the DR. People say he truly cared for his employees. Dominican economist and well known financial guru Alejandro Fernández W said that Fernando once asked him to help his employees learn the basics of properly managing personal finances. He was that type of guy. The DR lost a big one.

[video=youtube;Ij29-pUOYrI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij29-pUOYrI[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here he was in a radio show discussing several aspects of managing and developing a franchise business. In this clip the focus is on how hard it´s to supply his restaurants (Wendy´s) with Dominican grown vegetables vs imports.

[video=youtube;1lbU9okWpP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lbU9okWpP4[/video]

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Lesson is : a porshe is a really nice car for german autobahns......... here in the dr i'd go with a bradley or an abraham if ever i had that kind of money......

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Lesson is : a porshe is a really nice car for german autobahns......... here in the dr i'd go with a bradley or an abraham if ever i had that kind of money......
Hummer. :)

I'm a fan on full-sized SUV for the streets of the DR.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
On the streets of the DR, yes of course, heavier SUV vehicle is best. But, on that Autopista del Coral, a Porsche is a great car. The highway is very new, very little traffic, and no speed control. The posted speed limit is 100 kph. But, you can go as fast as you want. It is the autobahn of this part of the DR. The only (deadly) problem is the lack of access control. There are all kinds of things exiting and entering the highway a random locations. Horses, people, burros, cars, buses, trucks. RIP Fernando.

Apparently this crash occurred between Punta Cana and La Romana. I did not recognize the exact place in the video, but one of the news articles called it the La Romana highway, hence my guess as to location. I drive this all the time. At 120 kph. Or 140 to get far away from some erratic driver, and there are many. That, as people above have pointed out, is the other significant danger - distracted, or otherwise incompetent drivers.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
While I agree speeding is an issue, lets not pretend most of us have never fallen for the temptation to speed on those ruler straight stretches of Dominican highways. I tend to drive defensively and even I at times have fallen for the temptation, especially when the car is designed for speed and the likelihood a police will stop you is slim. Come on now, lets leave the hypocrisy checked at the door.

Hard to believe but here it is.. this is the type of thinking that has many people worldwide mock people in DR for. "I agree speeding is an issue". An issue? Nothing gets done in this country because of this type of thinking. Speeding and or just not caring about anyone else. Just having a good time. This is the dominican way. Speeding this is Not something to smirk about when you get Tempted to fly the higheay. I remember when wrecked cars were left along shoulder of some roads. The remarks of some here on DR1 were snarky and saying these car reminders would never stop a dominican driver. Many here seemed to say so what.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Irresponsible actions have become commonplace. The tide must turn very soon. (Hopefully this week.)

Driving is very serious business.

Hard to believe but here it is.. this is the type of thinking that has many people worldwide mock people in DR for. "I agree speeding is an issue". An issue? Nothing gets done in this country because of this type of thinking. Speeding and or just not caring about anyone else. Just having a good time. This is the dominican way. Speeding this is Not something to smirk about when you get Tempted to fly the higheay. I remember when wrecked cars were left along shoulder of some roads. The remarks of some here on DR1 were snarky and saying these car reminders would never stop a dominican driver. Many here seemed to say so what.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I remember when wrecked cars were left along shoulder of some roads. The remarks of some here on DR1 were snarky and saying these car reminders would never stop a dominican driver. Many here seemed to say so what.

I take it your not a big fan of the DR1 Christmas or Semana Santa Death Toll threads?
Me niether.

Status
Not open for further replies.