Fernando Rainieri died!

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lest anybody think we all can drive like F1 drivers.....

try going up against one --- the skills needed are serious - few have them.

super fast reflexes..... inordinate coordination.....
not a game for amateurs

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Lest anybody think we all can drive like F1 drivers.....

try going up against one --- the skills needed are serious - few have them.

super fast reflexes..... inordinate coordination.....
not a game for amateurs
Definately, And not a game for public roads with little cute Catholic schoolchildren playing on.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and a car not built to do it....

even in Germany on the test track for buyers ---
you get a rigorous course on driving ---
and the pro goes first.....to teach you

street models aren't race models

ya think the golfers on TV have the clubs you buy !!???
NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS

Same goes for cars....

Feb 7, 2007
On the streets of the DR, yes of course, heavier SUV vehicle is best. But, on that Autopista del Coral, a Porsche is a great car. The highway is very new, very little traffic, and no speed control. The posted speed limit is 100 kph. But, you can go as fast as you want. It is the autobahn of this part of the DR. The only (deadly) problem is the lack of access control. There are all kinds of things exiting and entering the highway a random locations. Horses, people, burros, cars, buses, trucks. RIP Fernando.

Apparently this crash occurred between Punta Cana and La Romana. I did not recognize the exact place in the video, but one of the news articles called it the La Romana highway, hence my guess as to location. I drive this all the time. At 120 kph. Or 140 to get far away from some erratic driver, and there are many. That, as people above have pointed out, is the other significant danger - distracted, or otherwise incompetent drivers.

huh? so you applaud fast riving on AdeC? Go to ...
99% of accidents that happened there were because of fast driving. Drive fast at your own peril. And when you crash, please kill only yourself and not some other innocent drivers.

May the deceased RIP but I am also glad he did not kill or injure other drivers in process. When you decide to do the crime, be ready to do the time. Going 240 kmh on 100 kmh limit road is beyond reckless, it's criminal. Unfortunately, he got handed the most severe sentence.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We would all be much better off is we considered the health, safety and quality of life for others at the same time as we are deciding what we should do ourselves. Alas, this is the "Me first" epoch of our evolution.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
huh? so you applaud fast riving on AdeC? Go to ...
99% of accidents that happened there were because of fast driving. Drive fast at your own peril. And when you crash, please kill only yourself and not some other innocent drivers.

May the deceased RIP but I am also glad he did not kill or injure other drivers in process. When you decide to do the crime, be ready to do the time. Going 240 kmh on 100 kmh limit road is beyond reckless, it's criminal. Unfortunately, he got handed the most severe sentence.

No, I do not applaud driving 240 kph on the autopista. Where did I say it is good to drive 240 kph? I didn't.

Please provide a citation to the source of your "99% of accidents that happened there were because of fast driving." A better bet is distracted driving.

I was just trying to paint a picture of this section of the highway. As I say, it is almost new, very little traffic, two lanes in each direction, long stretches with no sanctioned access on either side. In a rational discussion, the question would be 'what is the design speed of the highway'? It is very likely designed to be safe at 120 kph - except for the lack off good access control. If there was better access control, there is no doubt 120 kph is safe.

And, that is exactly what I was saying - this section of the autopista is not real safe because of the horses, buses, cars, etc. that exit and enter at random locations.

And, the only reason I go 140 kph for short distances is that there is more risk from an erratic driver I encounter than a short increase in speed, in my judgement. More risk in driving near the person driving slow, weaving, obviously drinking or talking on cell phone. You do what you have to do to survive here, ya lo sabe. I maintain my car, I don't drink and drive.

Anyhow, here's something short about design and access control:

"Known as "Interstate" or "freeway" here in the US, controlled access roads are "motorways" in the UK and New Zealand, as "autoroutes" in France & Quebec, as "autobahns" in Germany and so on. The first such road was in fact the "autostrada" built in Italy in the 1920s.

Whatever the term, all these roads are designed exclusively for high-speed vehicular traffic with an emphasis on engineering that helps regulate traffic flow and vehicular entrances and departures.

These roads are built for speed, literally: many design elements enable high-speed and high-volume travel, including the fact traffic can flow unhindered by traffic signals, intersections or property access."

https://www.speedgauge.net/news/blog/so-whats-a-controlled-access-road

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you drive this road at 100 kph you will be just about the slowest car on the road. And that is not safe at all. Safety is keeping up with traffic, not let cars and trucks whiz by you in any lane available...........

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I've owned three Porsches,Boxster,911 Cabriolet and 911 Twin Turbo. All of these cars can handle 240kph, usually the driver not so much. On a straight away piece of cake even for someone untrained but if he needed to make some kind of evasive maneuver he was fked, I suspect that is what happened.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here's the thing...Porsches, Audi's, BMW's, and other high-end sports cars can handle the speed. They have been driving up and down these highways in-between La Romana and Punta Cana and SD and Punta Cana every single day at high speeds (in certain spots...not the entire way) for as long as i can remember.

The new highways in several places (not all places) are excellent, new, and in fantastic shape. The high-end sports cars can easily handle it without a problem. They seldom have issues.

You see many, many more accidents--in particular on the north coast--as a result of tire blow-out from trucks and cars (driving on very poor & worn out tires) where they careen into oncoming traffic as a result of a tire blow-out.

This happens often. Unfortunately, when people do not survive the accident, there is no way to know what caused one car to careen into oncoming traffic? And so, it's not possible sometimes to know exactly what caused the accident, and whether or not it was a tire blow-out?

I'm not saying this is always the case...but it happens often.

People who own $120,000 high-end sports cars can afford new tires and the upkeep of their cars. The gua-guas, Public cars, dump trucks, and many of the everyday Dominican cars are driving around on bald tires, uneven tires, unmatching tires, and tires that have been plugged many, many times, etc.

In spots where there is a long stretches of highway with no side roads leading onto the main highway, there is little chance for anything to go wrong, and very seldom do things go wrong.

Of course, speed kills, but i would say most of the Dominican catastrophic accidents are a result of poor car maintenance--especially worn out tires, bad roads, pot holes, debris that has fallen off trucks, etc.

I have never had a car or motorcycle accident in the DR.

A few years back, i was coming back from Las Galeras with three Norwegian police officers (who met William Webster that same day), a large dog ran out onto highway-5 in front of me near Cabrera. There was a slight curve coming up and i ran over the dog. All three girls screamed and asked why i didn't swerve to try and avoid it. I explained:

1.) By swerving upon an upcoming curve (which i could not see around the curve), i could have potentially put us in a position of a head-on collision if a car was coming in the opposite direction and might have been cutting the curve--as many often do here.

2.) By slamming on my brakes, i could have locked up the brakes, causing us to either slide off the road, or slide into oncoming traffic coming around the curve.

3.) Or, I could continue forward, lightly braking--but not excessively--and hope that the dog was quick enough to move to the side of the road.

The dog was either eating or smelling something in the middle of the road, and hence, did not get out of the way fast enough.

I had no choice but to hit it. Not a good feeling. But i also was not going to risk our lives by trying to take evasive maneuvers on a curve, and at night.

You never know if this Porsche was trying to avoid hitting something and took excessive maneuvers which made him lose control.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I hit four whitetail deer in my 911,I had a choice of hitting the deer or going into the woods,neither of which was a good choice but I chose the deer and lived to tell about it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here's the thing...Porsches, Audi's, BMW's, and other high-end sports cars can handle the speed. They have been driving up and down these highways in-between La Romana and Punta Cana and SD and Punta Cana every single day at high speeds (in certain spots...not the entire way) for as long as i can remember.

Of course this has and will happen. Does not make it right.

The new highways in several places (not all places) are excellent, new, and in fantastic shape. The high-end sports cars can easily handle it without a problem. They seldom have issues.

True, it is the driver's that cause and have issues, not the cars.

You see many, many more accidents--in particular on the north coast--as a result of tire blow-out from trucks and cars (driving on very poor & worn out tires) where they careen into oncoming traffic as a result of a tire blow-out.

This happens often. Unfortunately, when people do not survive the accident, there is no way to know what caused one car to careen into oncoming traffic? And so, it's not possible sometimes to know exactly what caused the accident, and whether or not it was a tire blow-out?

I'm not saying this is always the case...but it happens often.

People who own $120,000 high-end sports cars can afford new tires and the upkeep of their cars. The gua-guas, Public cars, dump trucks, and many of the everyday Dominican cars are driving around on bald tires, uneven tires, unmatching tires, and tires that have been plugged many, many times, etc.

Proper car inspections and fines for tires with no tread might help this problem.

In spots where there is a long stretches of highway with no side roads leading onto the main highway, there is little chance for anything to go wrong, and very seldom do things go wrong.

That has zero relevance on speeding being illegal.

Of course, speed kills, but i would say most of the Dominican catastrophic accidents are a result of poor car maintenance--especially worn out tires, bad roads, pot holes, debris that has fallen off trucks, etc.

I have never had a car or motorcycle accident in the DR.

If you drive as you say you do, you have been incredibly lucky and so have the people in the areas where you "wrecklessly" (pun intended) drove.

A few years back, i was coming back from Las Galeras with three Norwegian police officers (who met William Webster that same day), a large dog ran out onto highway-5 in front of me near Cabrera. There was a slight curve coming up and i ran over the dog. All three girls screamed and asked why i didn't swerve to try and avoid it. I explained:

1.) By swerving upon an upcoming curve (which i could not see around the curve), i could have potentially put us in a position of a head-on collision if a car was coming in the opposite direction and might have been cutting the curve--as many often do here.

2.) By slamming on my brakes, i could have locked up the brakes, causing us to either slide off the road, or slide into oncoming traffic coming around the curve.

3.) Or, I could continue forward, lightly braking--but not excessively--and hope that the dog was quick enough to move to the side of the road.

The dog was either eating or smelling something in the middle of the road, and hence, did not get out of the way fast enough.

I had no choice but to hit it. Not a good feeling. But i also was not going to risk our lives by trying to take evasive maneuvers on a curve, and at night.

You never know if this Porsche was trying to avoid hitting something and took excessive maneuvers which made him lose control.

Travelling at much too high a speed certainly was the major contributing factor in this death. Remove that one factor and the man is probably still alive.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Due to the repetitive nature of driving a vehicle especially on a highway, experienced drivers tend to slip into a calm state of detachment where they rely on autonomic motor functions to perform the act of driving and dealing with external stimuli. When driving at speeds that we routinely achieve, if we pay attention to what's going on, maybe we are ok drivers.

However, driving really fast requires a different skill set and level of attention. Drivers at fast speeds need to adjust their speed/distance computations, they need to adjust how they interact with the steering wheel and they need to be aware of what's happen well ahead of where their attention is normally focused.

Those who drift into driver hypnosis at speeds far in excess of what their brains are conditioned to deal with, will make judgement errors, input errors and rely on past experience that just doesn't apply at these speeds. Unlike the white knuckle concentration racing drivers put forth, the average motorist will not sustain the focus and concentration needed to conduct the safe operation of a vehicle at these speeds. Often public roads do allow for these excess speeds regardless of how experienced or focused a driver is. Other people, other vehicles and happenstance are factors that no driver can control or anticipate.

As time goes by, without a concerted effort to resist these tendencies, one's vision narrows, concentration drifts to other things, the music on the radio lulls them into a state of complacency where they do not register potential hazards ahead at a distance that would allow them to react in time. Our brains make the calculations required using the defaults preset over time at much lower speeds and we lock the brakes and spin out or over steer and roll the vehicle.

It doesn't matter that the vehicle is made to go 210 miles per hour. It's the experienced driver that fails to adjust all of their driving skills accordingly to account for the increased speed that is the real issue. Our brains can only make good decisions and calculations so fast. In the moment when we need to make those decisions much quicker than we are accustomed to, our brain will likely fail us most of time with both the decision making part and the necessary physical motor reactions.

Many of the assumptions we make when driving in this country about other drivers, their abilities and intentions are just plain unfounded. Here, you cannot reasonably assume no one will pass you on the right, stop at the red light or even act in their own best interest and not pull out in front of a rocket ship at supersonic speed on a straight stretch of road. You have to assume that every other driver expects you to avoid them and at light speed that is not always possible, particularly so for drivers not completely focused on dealing with the operational constraints that far exceed their level of experience and competence.

Driving fast is a thrill. That's what racetracks are for - speed without the unexpected obstacles that are other people and their things.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Those who drive with excessive speed on the Dominican roads are so self-absorbed they have *zero* concern for other's around them.

It matters not whether their "high-end" car can handle the speed. The greatest driver on the planet, like frank, has no control over other vehicles and obstacles and is not immune from the laws of physics.

Simple fact.

The faster you drive, the longer it takes to slow down. The faster you drive, the more kinetic energy must be transferred in a crash.

Cemeteries all over the planet are filled with smashed bodies who once thought "It will never happen to me."

This is for motorcycles, but is equally applicable to cars:

200s843.jpg

Blue is reaction distance, red is braking distance.

Public roads are not your private racetrack. Driving with excess speed shows a careless, callous disregard for the folks who share the road.

I don't care about selfish drivers who flaunt speed laws. I don't care if they die a painful death, or if someone has to change their diaper or clean their drool cup for the rest of their lives. But they have NO right to put anyone else in harm's way because of their reckless behavior.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Everybody talks about speeding. I do not consider 100 -120 kph speeding. In my experience the most reckless and not considering others are those paseando with 60 kph on the left lane. Why these idiots do not switch to the right?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Everybody talks about speeding. I do not consider 100 -120 kph speeding. In my experience the most reckless and not considering others are those paseando with 60 kph on the left lane. Why these idiots do not switch to the right?

When there is more than one lane, people drive in the left lane because the right lane is much "busier" with motorcycles and slow moving produce trucks among other things. So slow and fast traffic travel on the left.

It literally is the opposite of what it's supposed to be. Slow lane on the left, passing on the right.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Everybody talks about speeding. I do not consider 100 -120 kph speeding.
Depends on numerous factors: the road condition, legal speed limit, weather, traffic, condition of vehicle, access to the road, obstacles along the road, population, aminals, etc.

I've been on the autopista were 80kmh is too fast.

caribmike said:
In my experience the most reckless and not considering others are those paseando with 60 kph on the left lane. Why these idiots do not switch to the right?

You have swerved into some Truth about why excess speed is dangerous. These people do not think they are idiots, any more than someone who drives fast thinks he is.

Both "idiots" are a danger to innocent people on the roads.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Depends on numerous factors: the road condition, legal speed limit, weather, traffic, condition of vehicle, access to the road, obstacles along the road, population, aminals, etc.

I've been on the autopista were 80kmh is too fast.

You have swerved into some Truth about why excess speed is dangerous. These people do not think they are idiots, any more than someone who drives fast thinks he is.

Both "idiots" are a danger to innocent people on the roads.

It would be much more appropriate to say "They don't think" and that would literally be true. There is no shortage of drivers here who know nothing more than get in, point and go - Totally oblivious of other vehicles around them or what they are doing.

How many times have you had a vehicle pull out in front of you while you are driving down a street, and when the driver looks at you, they have a completely blank stare on their face.

They have no idea they have just committed an infraction.

Remember the guy I mentioned the other day who told me he has the right of way because he's turning?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not saying we are all considerate drivers all the time back home. Drivers weave in and out of traffic, speed or drive selfishly but generally most of the time, drivers elsewhere do think about others as they navigate from one place to the next. They certainly don't assume they can drive on the wrong side of the street with impunity as they do here.

I don't see that consideration for others here. I see motos careen off side streets onto main roads hugging the curbs without looking or stopping for oncoming traffic - especially other motors driving next to the curb on the wrong side of the street. I've seen cars and trucks do the same. I've seen drivers look at me and make eye contact and then proceed to pull out in front of me as if their telepathic message that they expect me to stop has been received. The best are the ones that pass you where their draft causes you to swerve unintentionally and 75 feet past you they hit the binders to make a right turn.

In this country, a toot of the horn is all the consideration you can expect from other motorists and just what that means is often not entirely clear - I assume most of the time it means don't hit me, regardless of what boneheaded maneuver they are or are about to engage in.

Based solely on the news reports of recent deadly mishaps, it seems the speed freaks are for the most part responsible for their own demise when they lose control and hit something made of concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.