Finding an apartment in the DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is possible to live in DR on 600-800 dollars a month budget. basic dominican life: an apartment in a barrio, moto as a transport, dominican food, basic bills covered. but a simple life like that wears you out, i guess. and it does not allow contingency for emergencies like sickness or travel home.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
it is possible to live in DR on 600-800 dollars a month budget. basic dominican life: an apartment in a barrio, moto as a transport, dominican food, basic bills covered. but a simple life like that wears you out, i guess. and it does not allow contingency for emergencies like sickness or travel home.

Exactly this plus what Derfish mentioned earlier about his house. There was this another thread about housing expenses in here, and it has been pointed out several times that the houses that cost hundreds or 1000+ USD per month are not the only option. But you won?t (well actually you do, but not that efficiently, once source here: olx.com.do) find those online, but only by going out, and most likely you need to get out of touristic areas, or areas what are considered expat-areas.

What I consider a valid point though, is that it is not always the case, that the more expensive and "nicer" areas are also safer, but can be quite the opposite. The key thing is that you need to know what you are doing, otherwise you?ll be eaten alive in the wrong place.

I know personally many houses in decent areas exactly in the price range Derfish mentioned, but again, mostly not in areas that are promoted to expats or tourists.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the reason cheap areas are not promoted to expats and tourist is that no one with a sound mind would really want to live there. it often means patchy power and water, constant noise, plus trash and vermin. i've only lived in area like that for a year and i will take gated community and splendid isolation any day. but to each their own. some may enjoy the taste of barrio life.

in all, life on the cheap is doable but life with more money is way better. if OP decides to move to DR i suggest getting health insurance and having a 1000 dollars put away just in case. i am pretty sure there are few posters here who live on that much or even less.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
but of course it is possible to find "cheap" housing - but you really have to look for it. I live in Santo Domingo (Colonial Zone)....3 Bedroom, 3rd floor apartment, unfurnished. I pay $300 / month (which is cheap I think) but not the "normal". Inherited mine from older Gringo that had to return to US. Most likely market rate would be in the $600-800 / month range here in the Zone. I'm keeping my place FOREVER ......

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
but of course it is possible to find "cheap" housing - but you really have to look for it. I live in Santo Domingo (Colonial Zone)....3 Bedroom, 3rd floor apartment, unfurnished. I pay $300 / month (which is cheap I think) but not the "normal". Inherited mine from older Gringo that had to return to US. Most likely market rate would be in the $600-800 / month range here in the Zone. I'm keeping my place FOREVER ......

Hold on to that place. With all the changes going on in ZC it will be worth it.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
What is the best way to go about finding an apartment in the DR? From what I have seen online the prices are pretty jacked up (high.) When I look for apartments in the Philippines they are all reasonably priced, but finding such a selection in the DR seems nearly impossible online. My budget is around $150 - $200 a month for a one bedroom. Thanks!

Make sure the apartment has a Tinaco!!! I live in a nice apartment, in a nice area with a great ocean view, but guess what.. because of the water shortage and not having a Tinaco my activity for the day revolves around when the water is going to be on. Didn't think about that when I rented. Without a Tinaco you are at the mercy of how much water your neighbor uses. For this to be an Island with limited resources you would think people would conserve more.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
If you want to live comfortably you need the following:

Tinaco (water tank)

Inversor (power inverter)

Those two things will make your life much easier. You'll probably have to get the inversor yourself if the apartment doesn't already have one. We have a 1.5kw inversor with two Trojan rojos 2 year warranty on all parts and labor, cost was RD$22,000 installed if I remember correctly.

That will power your computers, tvs, and basic electronics. Don't hook up your fridge, microwave, or large electronic items to the inverter, they will ruin it or it will ruin them.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
If you want to live comfortably you need the following:

Tinaco (water tank)

Inversor (power inverter)

Those two things will make your life much easier. You'll probably have to get the inversor yourself if the apartment doesn't already have one. We have a 1.5kw inversor with two Trojan rojos 2 year warranty on all parts and labor, cost was RD$22,000 installed if I remember correctly.

That will power your computers, tvs, and basic electronics. Don't hook up your fridge, microwave, or large electronic items to the inverter, they will ruin it or it will ruin them.

Are there energy efficient refrigerators that can be hooked up to a inversor? Last night the power went out for quite a while. Luckly the building i live has a planta full, and it runs everything.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are there energy efficient refrigerators that can be hooked up to a inversor? Last night the power went out for quite a while. Luckly the building i live has a planta full, and it runs everything.

RG84, we have a full size GE refrigerator/freezer operating on an inverter. We have a separate inverter for the rest of the house.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

we have big ass amana fridge/freezer connected to the inversor. our inversor is 3.5 kw with 8 batteries. no need for separate connections.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
RG84, we have a full size GE refrigerator/freezer operating on an inverter. We have a separate inverter for the rest of the house.

You don't have an inverter, you got a planta full!!! That thing is big, LOL

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You don't have an inverter, you got a planta full!!! That thing is big, LOL

Believe it or not, it's still not hooked up. First we needed a new control panel, and then when that was installed there was an explosion when the propane was turned on, and it blew off a cover. Since that happened 3 days before we were leaving, we didn't have time to get the part. We'll buy it up here and bring it down next trip.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Believe it or not, it's still not hooked up. First we needed a new control panel, and then when that was installed there was an explosion when the propane was turned on, and it blew off a cover. Since that happened 3 days before we were leaving, we didn't have time to get the part. We'll buy it up here and bring it down next trip.

Yikes!!!!

Apr 7, 2014
This is your typical apartment in the PI at $180 a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y70cKqChGk

I guess something like this in the DR would probably go fro $400 - $600 a month.

That was a nice looking place, well maintained and constructed. You may be able to find something like that or similar in in abundance in smaller cities. Maybe San Cristobal or Nagua for a beach town... But surely you can find something suitable in a mountain village or a tiny trading port pueblo.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
RG84, go buy a "Tinaco"!!!!!!!
I too have a 3.6 invertor with a big fridge hooked up, no problems.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ahhhh you come and get the condo association to give me (or really the owner) permission to install one.
What's up with the all the !!! no need for that ish.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can check if they will permit you to install a small tinaco on the balcony (if you have one).