Fivefingers is in town. SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hey Fingers,

Your star is rising already. You are plugged into the sentiments of the vocal DR1 contributors so your story is guaranteed to be made into a movie of the week-be sure to negotiate royalties.

I didn't come to the DR to work so I can't speak to that aspect of your plight. I can see a familiar cloud of despair in your prose though and I can offer a bit of hope, it gets better in time. When you stop comparing here to anywhere else and cease lamenting for the things that you can no longer have or find, simple acceptance opens up an avenue to much less stress and a resignation to the fact that "it is what it is" and that's a fact Jack.

It took me about 4 months to realign my thinking and expectations. A few more months and a few more gray hairs and you'll see what I mean. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It has been said time and time again...
Life is good here.... if ...... when it gets you down you can go to the airport and change the scenery.

sort of a sideways way to say 'Don't come here poor.'

And the likes of Tango and I never get 'down' in winter --- hahaha

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
don?t hold this against me, but i have to get it off my chest. i fail to understand how your husband did not do his level best to dissuade you from coming here, hoping to find a decent job. he should have known how much of a struggle that would be, and should have told you that you would have had as much chance as a fart in a typhoon. there are certain foreigners who get jobs just as easy as pie, because they can do things that Dominicans just cannot. there are certain engineers and other such types in this country who call the shots, because a politician can?t just give that job to his concubine. unless you fall into one of those indispensable categories, you are not going to get any kind of job which is commensurate with your expectations. this is the DR.

let me give you a simple case. there is a Money Management operation here called JMMB. it is a Jamaican company, and is owned by the wife of a good friend of mine. her husband was a government minister, and i was a special assistant to him. i called her and told her that i would have liked to come on board, and she spoke to the manager here in Santo Domingo. she sent me an email saying that the guy would give me a call in a day or two. that was in 2009. i am still waiting. so, in certain cases, it is not even who you know.

He did, and I am very stubborn...but I think he should have tried harder and put his foot down.

Even so, and reading everyone, I think it was really our best choice coming here.

Spain no jobs in 7 years. Uk is extremely expensive to live in and it would only be me bringing in good income. DR might not be easy, but if we both get income going we might just be able to make a go of it.

It is disheartning to read all the comments on how getting jobs is next to impossible et al. But I gave away all our stuff or sold it very cheaply. So there is no going back. We are here to make a real go of this. If it doesn't work out, within a year or less I can go and find work in the UK.

In the meantime, I didn't mention that I do have an online business which brings in some cash.

Please tell me what brought you here and keeps you here. There has to be something good to all this. Let's see....

cheap manicures.
can go to the beach in winter (if I have money)
dr1 forum!
my daughter has learnt to use a broom and "suape" and is proving to be highly adaptable.
we gained a family and their support
my daughter has cousins which make up for no sibblings
we can always leave after a few years

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Fivefingers of death to your hubby for not telling you how it is in DR.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Two schools in SD Este worth mentioning:

The Cathedral International School Cathedral International School - Santo Domingo Este

Brilliant Minds Brilliant Minds School

I am not an authority, but Cathedral seems to have a more international focus. I spoke to a Canadian woman who lived in SD Este and had children attendihg Cathedral and was happy with them. They are also accredited with an American agency. I know much less about Brilliant Minds. Sorry, I couldn't get the links to work from my phone.

Thanks! I tried brilliant minds and frankly, a yahoo contact email is a bad start in my mind.

So I will try Cathedral.

I live quite close to Saint Lawrence which seems quite nice. It better be at 11.000 pesos a month.

I am also curious about the school on Carretera de San Isidro, Bright People American School. The names in this country are laughable...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
He did, and I am very stubborn...but I think he should have tried harder and put his foot down.

Even so, and reading everyone, I think it was really our best choice coming here.

Spain no jobs in 7 years. Uk is extremely expensive to live in and it would only be me bringing in good income. DR might not be easy, but if we both get income going we might just be able to make a go of it.

It is disheartning to read all the comments on how getting jobs is next to impossible et al. But I gave away all our stuff or sold it very cheaply. So there is no going back. We are here to make a real go of this. If it doesn't work out, within a year or less I can go and find work in the UK.

In the meantime, I didn't mention that I do have an online business which brings in some cash.

Please tell me what brought you here and keeps you here. There has to be something good to all this. Let's see....

cheap manicures.
dr1 forum!
my daughter has learnt to use a broom and "suape" and is proving to be highly adaptable.

i came here because i retired from the rat race,and i have a US pension. i do not believe that a person who was born in the caribbean should spend his autumn years in the USA if there is an alternative. that is no place for older people.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
what always helps me when I get in a mood of 'what am I doing here', is thinking of either:
- former co workers that are going through a 3 hour commute every day to get to their boring job, half of the time through the rain and half of the year leaving and coming back in the dark.
- how I felt being back in my country after 4 years DR, in 2005, back in routine, 'normal', average guy life.

Here life is sometimes a struggle, if it's not economically its because the people around you can be annoying, but it's more adventurous than take the road of no resistance. That's particularly true for the Netherlands, where there is no challenge or adventure at all, since the government takes care of all details of you life, I doubt that would be very different in UK.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
well, you may or may not remember me asking some questions a few months back...but I am now officially living in Santo Domingo Este, Going to get some popcorn and whatch you do my thread. Don't dissapoint me!

how's the popcorn going ??

please pass me some..........hahahaha

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

cheap manicures.
dr1 forum!

What brought me here:

First of all: my wife is dominican, we met (kind of) and married here, lived here for a few years and than moved to Holland. After 5 years of Holland we decided we would go back for the following reasons:

1. We didn't like the Dutch society (when talking about how the ultra-progressive agenda is being pushed and tolerance only exists for the progressive ideas). Guess what: In the past 5 years DR caught up very fast.
2. We (particularly I) didn't like the long list of rules you have to comply with living in the Netherlands. From how you put your garbage outside (at exact times and with the lid closed, or else) till extreme taxing laws that give you no freedom over how to earn and use your money.
3. My wife missed her family.
4. She didn't like the weather from November till March
5. Myself I dislike that in summer you have a nice sunny day, but it's being shadowed by the knowledge that tomorrow it's probably raining and summer is almost over anyway.
6. The economy is still disorganized which allows for own initiatives being easier to flourish or find non-standard jobs.

What I don't like about DR:
1. Loud and selfish and irresponsible people (maybe actually three points)
2. Summer is too hot
3. Life is outrageously expensive
4. Education sucks or very expensive
5. Medical care sucks or is very expensive (and then still sucks....found that out recently)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Must have been tough leaving not a first world country but a first world among first world countries. Where did you guys live? Amster? Maastricht? Hague? Rotter? Doubt you lived in Limburg since you referred to your land as 'Holland' instead of Nether.

Netherlands is too long to type....Im actually from a small town near Zwolle. In the east, about an hour from Groningen. Actually not Holland, but since Holland is synonymous with the Netherlands for most non-Dutch I use both.

I think being a 'first world country among the first world countries' brings an extra set of rules the citizens have to comply with to keep everything running smooth (in the governments eyes). The DR is the other extreme.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
well, you may or may not remember me asking some questions a few months back...but I am now officially living in Santo Domingo Este, and hating it.

Nothing I wasn't ready for though. The country is as awful as I had expected. But there must be something nice to it or people wouldn't be coming here...apart from "cueros" and "sankis".

I have asked the locals what do they love about their country, because they are also constantly barfing on it, and their answer: lots of fruit. Not impressed.

While I plough ahead in search of the kindness of this country, I will try to bear the lack of 24 hour electricity, water, efficiency, cleanliness, organization, friendliness, etc.

My husband, who is dominican, is adapting far less than I. He despises beign back in DR and I really doubt my decision of coming here.

You see we come from Spain, where the financial crisis has made it impossible to get employment. So we left what now seems a perfect, comfortable life, for hidden opportunities in DR. So we knew the country has it's faults. But we were willing to live through them if we can at least make a living.

But after 1 week of no water in our apartment we are really starting to despair.

We have been through the nightmare of getting the electricity contract, the internet contract and now we are focussing on job hunting and schools for my 6 year old starting 2nd grade.

So i will be going around the different sections of the forum. But any info you want to lead with regarding networking places, expat clubs/bars, best schools in the Este area, or better areas to live on a budget with 24 hour elec. and water are very welcome.

I loved the Valeriev thread. Going to get some popcorn and whatch you do my thread. Don't dissapoint me!

Sounds like a bad move that won't get much better, unless you have a lot of money.
If you were legal to work in Europe, Germany would have been a good choice for employment.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks everybody for all your replies and insightful comments.

Uber: yes! seen that. applying as we speak.

Sky - Hotels in PC: tell me more! What's the best way to apply? You thinking marketing departments at hotels or reception?

Mauricio: thanks for your honest replies. I feel very much the same way.

Re germany: tried it...didn't work out. Could have tried harder, yes....but the weather,....ugh....though right now, a bit of fresh air is a dream. I am half-German btw.

Re lack of opportunities....really? no jobs at all? even for super duper me? I hope not. I am a dream for any employer. Great skill set. Let's hope for a miracle then.

BTW anybody have any input on applying for jobs without the legal residence thingy?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"BTW anybody have any input on applying for jobs without the legal residence thingy?"

Forget it when you looking for a real, serious opportunity...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Without the ability for an employer to "legally" hire you, unfortunately you are relegated to the menial jobs and exploitation like so many other illegals around the world. If you are seriously planning to make a life here and if your success is dependant on a real career type employment situation, then you have to be legal, or you might as well play the national lottery professionally and hope for the best.

There is always the chance that you can find a company that would be prepared to sponsor you for a work visa if you can convince them that hiring you is an opportunity they can't pass up. The DR is like the wild west of years gone by in America. It's easy to get enough rope to hang yourself, but very few are willing to cut you any slack. It's too easy to come here and set up shop but an entirely different environment if you then need to work to support yourself at a level to which you are accustomed.

Bonne Chance.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
If you want to work and don't have residency, you'll have to do like most of us, work from the Internet... Many web sites offer remote jobs. Easy and simple.

And by the way, if you hate Santo Domingo, why stay there ??? What's the point of living under the tropics if you live in a big city with a lot of people, traffic, polution ?? No f*ck*ng way ! Give me some air, palms trees, birds, a nice view of the mountains and the playa not to far... Otherwise, why move from my "former crazy life" ??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Oh man 5fingers I had such high hopes for you until the no residency thing...to get a good job you really do need that.

To get a good job you need far more than residency! Luck equal to winning a lottery is also a requirement. (OK, I exaggerate slightly, but only slightly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.