Fixing the Problem ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, were they really hanged (not hung... ;) )?
I didn't read about that.

m'frog
It was in posts 1 & 2, first in Spanish, then English.
I presume that you didn't know the word "hung".
Here is the dictionary definition.
hung definition

v. Past tense and a past participle of hang. See Usage Note at hang.

adj. 1. Vulgar Slang Having large genitals. Used of males.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It was in posts 1 & 2, first in Spanish, then English.
I presume that you didn't know the word "hung".
Here is the dictionary definition.
hung definition

v. Past tense and a past participle of hang. See Usage Note at hang.

adj. 1. Vulgar Slang Having large genitals. Used of males.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
Death takes the innocent young,
The rolling-in-money,
The screamingly-funny,
And those who are very well hung.

-- W. H. Auden

In this case they were hung good and proper.

I for one don't miss them. :angry:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, I did... ;)

The links you provided explain that if the verb 'to hang' is used in the transitive way with the meaning 'to hang s.b., to execute s.b.' the past tense and the past participle are 'hanged'.

m'frog
This is truly hijacking this thread, but if you must know,
"When the good people hanged them, the criminals were hung."
I don't mean to be rude, Froggy, but it is my mother tongue.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
Just as I said in another post...

As a Dominican, I can say that DR is just one big mother****ing ghetto with gangsters running the place gangbanging anyone who doesn't like it their way. The only to get rid of these gangbangers is to form a counter gang just as corrupt to gangbang them the way they did to everyone else. Just like bloods and crips, folk nation and people nation, etc.

...and thats the truth. Life isn't pretty.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is my impression that what is being used in the newspapers, " linchar" to lynch, is being used to really say " death by a mob action."

These guys were probably beaten to death with stick stones and maybe knifed a time or two...

HB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It is my impression that what is being used in the newspapers, " linchar" to lynch, is being used to really say " death by a mob action."

These guys were probably beaten to death with stick stones and maybe knifed a time or two...

HB
I visualized them lynched like in the ole' Westerns for rustling cattle.
Regardless, a few pix in the newspapers, might help some of these criminals choose new careers.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
I am frankly astonished that anyone would do any less than stand and cheer for the mob actions!

Due process violations? Puhlease! Due process is something to cherish in a functioning judicial system. Anyone seen one in the DR lately? These animals suffered from "lack of guidance"? And feeling sorry for the mothers? Maybe if a couple mothers had grabbed these punks by the ears and taught them civilized behavior years ago- they would have lived longer.

I can't help but believe there are some criminals thinking twice now, about their next planned robberies....

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Hang 'em high?

Frankly, I'm appalled by such brutality/savagery. Whether these men deserved it or not, isn't the point. The focus here should be how, generally ordinary people, can turn to this sort of thing to deliver their own brand of justice. The degree of violence some people are capable of, is beyond comprehension.

The action taken by the mob is a much greater crime than the alleged robbery. But justice being what it is in DR, no one will pay for the murder of the two. That is the biggest injustice any individual or nation should be subjected to. What a country, eh?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The focus here should be how, generally ordinary people, can turn to this sort of thing to deliver their own brand of justice.
Exactly.
Now that the criminals see that it's not as easy as taking candy from a baby, now that they see that the good people are willing to defend themselves, now that those low lives who are too cowardly to even get a job and try to succeed in life without crime, maybe now they will think twice, before committing a violent crime.

The action taken by the mob is a much greater crime than the alleged robbery.
You think???
Tell me that after you shoot a man raping your wife.
Tell me that you made a mistake, and that you really should have only used equal force and simply raped him back.
Tell me that, and mean it.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
At least it functions...

....I'm appalled by such brutality/savagery....What a country, eh?
You're correct.
It's the country's incompentence (passive police and corrupt judiciary) to deal with crime that makes people take the law in their own hands.
I am feeling very uneasy about this knowing what a frenzy crowd is able to do to even innocent people.

But remember this is the land of all possible impossibilities and civilized ideas just do not apply (yet).

m'frog

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And more

You're correct.
It's the country's incompentence (passive police and corrupt judiciary) to deal with crime that makes people take the law in their own hands.
And the rise in violent crime/armed robberies/etc
I am feeling very uneasy about this knowing what a frenzy crowd is able to do to even innocent people.
As all people should, but the criminals should feel a lot more uneasy than us normal people.
But remember this is the land of all possible impossibilities and civilized ideas just do not apply (yet).
This is true, of course, but vigilante justice has risen in many a country considered to be advanced and civilized.
This type of response from the public, is as you said, due to a lousy police force and an inefficient judicial system, but mostly because of the rise in violent crime.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mob and vigilante actions are nothing more than people filling the void left empty by the police and judicial system.

I'm doubting these folks that got "street justice" were first time offenders.

One hopes the Powers That Be pay attention to what's happening on the streets. And one hopes Bad Guys are, too.

Maybe there's a new market for selling "We will kick your a$$" signs to neighborhoods.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
"Let us not judge, lest you will be judge"

Marco. There's no such thing as justifiable homicide. Murder is murder, no matter how you cut it. I won't condone it under any circumstance.
People will always find an excuse to do the most horrific crimes. The only justifiable reason to end someone's life is to keep him from ending yours. anything beyond that is murder, even when done by the state as it is in your country.
Lynchings are no more "applied justice" than premeditated murder. Unfortunately, Dominican-brand justice will punish the unconfirmed perpetrators of this alleged robbery attempt and will probably celebrate the true criminals, as you have.

Que pena.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
This type of response from the public, is as you said, due to a lousy police force and an inefficient judicial system, but mostly because of the rise in violent crime.

From my point of view, these factors are inextricably linked, of course.

No question but what this entire fiasco was terrible, from almost every perspective. Really a shame. The most telling part of it for me, though, is not that two thugs met their just rewards, but that the "mob" was NOT avenging one of it's own - it was this happened in response to attacks on tourists/strangers. One can argue overreaction very easily- but the fact that these folks responded out of frustration with the "system" and in defense of tourists, and not of themselves, speaks volumes about them.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
I recall reading on this forum a while ago, a journalist mistakenly tried to unlock a car he thought was his (same make/model, at night) and barely escaped a mob with his life.

If mob rule becomes defacto justice, DR is in serious trouble. The population certainly needs to take control of the crime problem, but not in the end of a hangman's noose.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Lynchings are no more "applied justice" than premeditated murder. Unfortunately, Dominican-brand justice will punish the unconfirmed perpetrators of this alleged robbery attempt and will probably celebrate the true criminals, as you have.

Unconfirmed perpetrators? Alleged robbery? I assume that you mean, by these, that no court of law established these facts beyond a reasonable doubt? To follow this reasoning to it's logical conclusion - these thugs should be walking the streets today, because likely the unwavering efforts of the local detectives, combined with the efficiency and ability of the judicial system to deliver justice in a timely fashion, would have quickly resolved the problem, given the opportunity? Puhlease.

It's pretty easy to take the moral high ground - until you become a victim. Has it occurred to you that you could have been the next robbery victim? And conceivably NOT walked away from it?

Laws and goverment are instituted in an effort to provide for public safety, first and foremost. When they fail at this fundamental task on an ongoing basis, what's the solution? While I don't advocate suspension of the legal system (partly because it has, to large degree, suspended itself!), at what point is it less than morally outrageous for citizens to rid themselves of these vermin, in whatever manner is available to them? It's not a big stretch of the imagination to think that other criminals, reading about this, hesitate more to rob tourists tonite, than they would if the story ended with "officers are investigating the robbery".

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Marco. There's no such thing as justifiable homicide. Murder is murder, no matter how you cut it. I won't condone it under any circumstance.
People will always find an excuse to do the most horrific crimes. The only justifiable reason to end someone's life is to keep him from ending yours. anything beyond that is murder, even when done by the state as it is in your country.

Que pena.
I don't see how Marco advocated what happened.

Explaining and advocating are two different animals.

I certainly don't advocate mob behavior. But I can understand how frustrations with the judicialy and LE components of the average Dominican can burble over into street justice.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
People talk about the mob taking the law into their hands. I ask what law are you talking about. Am I missing something.:ermm:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Some expats are quiet content with this mob mentality, but I wonder how many would truly join in and get their licks in. Que pena.