Food truck in D.R.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
all of these elaborate ideas pale in comparison to the simplest one out there. if you want to make money in the food business in the DR, you have to make food for locals. you have to understand dominican eating habits, and function accordingly. forget trying to do something at midday, because everyone takes off at 12pm to go home and eat the lunchtime meal at home. the real food sale hours are from about 7pm onwards. forget about selling fancy pants North American and Euro food for 300 pesos per plate. the majority of people cannot afford that. the trick is simple, and i am going to prove it within the next two years. all the caribbean islands eat their food the same way; mostly stewed. Dominicans also eat an inordinate amount of fried food. the regular meats, such as chicken, pork, and beef, appear in all dishes in the islands. the difference is that Dominicans do not know how to season meat, and for that reason a serving of stewed beef from the DR does not hold a candle to the same dish from Jamaica or Trinidad. someone just needs to take the same meats, and cook them like they do in the rest of the caribbean. Dominicans will love them, and i have proof of that. besides, it is not like trying to introduce a new dish; they eat it every day.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Methinks the BBQ would be targeted for the tourists, not the locals. But I could be wrong, and your point is valid. Probably no reason there couldn't be smaller portion of the pulled pork in a small bowl with rice or tortilla at $.50 RD.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
One of the Haiti charities was offering Christmas giving ideas.

Donate 'whatever amount it was' (I forget) and the charity would give a Start-up Kit for a rabbit farm to a needy Haitian.

Rabbits proliferate quickly and are a good source of much needed protein in the diet.
Same applies in RD... need more protein in the basic citizen's diet.

Why not start a rabbit farm, somebody
check out the breeding and fertility cycles.... rapido !!

sh-t ive read about raising them....better to buy a 1000 acre land and put 10 goats on it...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
next , it'll be poutine......

then w/ pollo

put protein in your poutine ! ! !

or rabbit..... tres chic

actually, there seems to be something of substance to this rabbit thing. a Dominican buddy of mine is in the process of tying up his loose ends in Louisiana, in order to move back to the DR and start a rabbit farm. he swears by stars above that it will be very profitable.

i hope the stars shine upon him.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it is a good crop....protein source much needed in underdeveloped countries..... a la Hispaniola

reasonable price if done right...

I have seen one out in Samana, we have a seller here in Abreu/Cabrera....
never see it on a menu

I'm tempted to buy some and cook ...... porque no ?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Quite a few years back I worked at a restrount that had rabbit tacos on the app menu very gormat at the time.
But I can see how rabbit could fit into Dominacan cooking style. It lends it self to the one pot soup/stue cooking methods.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a place in NYC that serves me rabbit in a mustard sauce..

That would be 'grown up' mustard, not children's mustard
Dijon to you peeps

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Quite a few years back I worked at a restrount that had rabbit tacos on the app menu very gormat at the time.
But I can see how rabbit could fit into Dominacan cooking style. It lends it self to the one pot soup/stue cooking methods.