For the ones who don't live in DR: what do you miss?

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
The people!!!!

First,,, the people, then Sancocho, Presidente, Mondongo, Presidente mofongo, Presidente, queso frito, Presidente, croquetas de pollo and more Preidente.

I have tried to make all the above here in Canada,, but for some reason,,, they never taste the same,,,, even when my parents come over for a visit and my Dad makes Sancocho,,, never is the same as when he makes it in the DR. I wonder why?!!!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's the salt air, the sun, the company and of course the ingredients - because they're fresher, riper, and grown in different soil on climate!!

Crap I hate going home and having to go grocery shopping.....everything tastes shi**y after having been here!

G

gary short

I miss the four fat krauts laughing at me as I tripped over a pot hole in Sosua." Did you huff a nice tttrrip unsa me". I miss the guy shlepping real estate on the beach in Sosua." Pssst hey pal make your wife proud, buy a house. I miss beaning some maniac in the forehead with a pebble as he was trying to rob me in Puerto Plata. I miss being purposely run off the road while being doubled on moto concho by some peckerhead driving a red pickup truck.

katty

Mar 14, 2003
thats ok I ordered 3 bottles of Brugal from local store here in US and it was the nastiest rum I have ever had. don't know why. But BTW on the shelf was Haitian rum did not try it I know brugal when I taste it and as far as presidente oh no can't get.
Well i guess it time for a sabbatical to DR.
Rum, Presidente and of course sun and eye candy

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Developing friendships

I miss the warm afternoons spent drinking cold Presidentes, and spending time getting to know people and talking about nothing in particular.

G

gary short

katty said:
thats ok I ordered 3 bottles of Brugal from local store here in US and it was the nastiest rum I have ever had. don't know why. But BTW on the shelf was Haitian rum did not try it I know brugal when I taste it and as far as presidente oh no can't get.
Well i guess it time for a sabbatical to DR.
Rum, Presidente and of course sun and eye candy
katty have you been drinking?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Mi tierra querida!

Roosters crowing in the morning, sightseeing around old Sto Dgo. Being driven to Santiago from la capital, the funky smells of rotting garbage, coconut water, nispero, pomo. (bet you don't know what pomo is). Women chasing after me (for real!). Bar hopping, and especially, not worrying about tomorrow.
ahhh, la dolce vita!

Don Juan said:
Roosters crowing in the morning, sightseeing around old Sto Dgo. Being driven to Santiago from la capital, the funky smells of rotting garbage, coconut water, nispero, pomo. (bet you don't know what pomo is). Women chasing after me (for real!). Bar hopping, and especially, not worrying about tomorrow.
ahhh, la dolce vita!

I don't really miss the roosters or the garbage smell, that's for sure.
But WTH is Pomo? :ermm: :bunny:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
It's only the most aromatic fruit ever!

VirginiaGomes said:
I don't really miss the roosters or the garbage smell, that's for sure.
But WTH is Pomo? :ermm: :bunny:

Pomo is a shade tree that grows in higher elevations and along rivers where it's usually cooler. Its fruit resembles a peach in size & color. It bears a single, large seed inside its delicious fleshy meat. the taste & texture is nothing I can compare it with. If you really want a pomo, you may have to trek over to Jarabacoa or Constanza. It's worth the trip!!

funckytown

Apr 17, 2005
Wiesbaden, Germany, Germany
pomo

hello,
i looked all over....
what is pomo?
do you have a other name for it?
thanks

by the way...
does somebody knows the name of this unique tree on park indepedencia?
loupitou?

well I finally found it... :eek:gre:
interested?

Last edited:

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
I miss the warm weather, beaches, fresh tropical fruits and vegetables, rivers, the rooster singing in the morning, sucar cane, slower pace, not worrying so much about getting a parking ticket.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Again I discover Don Juan

The roosters and the garbage smell...hehe...they do sort of grow on you.

It all has something to do with how sterile the modern world has become. Everything is plastic and chemicals to keep everything nice and clean.

When I was a boy we went hunting and we would wake up at 4 in the morning to prepare. In the very early morning we would take our boats and walk them through the marsh in thick mud. We would go out about a mile. It would be blistering cold. You were sweating and freezing and dirty. We would get out there and smell the world and it smelled great....that dark mud smell, smell the cold, smell the sun first heating the wind, smell of gun powder, smell of gun oil, smell of wild ducks...was wonderful. We would be exhausted by the time we got home. We would wake up the next day and do it again.