Foreigners robbed on Puerto Plata/Navarette Road

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
DV8, why don't you ask Robert to make a sticky where newcomers can post when, where and to where they are traveling. This way you will waste less time, and gasmoney.

I would suggest holding them up around Maimon. This way you can have a nice fish lunch between "customers"

BelgianK

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
That is a good idea, and don't let them out until they purchase timeshare property in the RD and all of the appropriate insurances.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I still remember those good old days when you could just yell out to total strangers ladron, ladron, ladron as loud as you can if someone was robbing you and you would be helped by any or every person near on foot, motto, car, bus and armed with rocks, bottles, knives, machettes, guns or whatever they could get there darn hands on at the time and they would turn into a huge fierce mob willing to help you stop, catch or even kill the people who robbed you or trying to rob you and would even risk their own lives in the process to help you. "I GUESS THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE."

I also remember the days when if you were wealthy and connected with high political figures and you had political clout and connections that "NO ONE" would even dare to get close you or never less touch you or commit a crime aganist you or your family or they would face the consequences. Even the dominicans living in the states feared people with friends in very high places living in the dr.

Do the bad guys have any fear at all of robbing powerful people in the dr or is this just the impression I am getting by this reading on dr1?

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why Respect Them?

Do the bad guys have any fear at all of robbing powerful people in the dr (...)?

Those were the old days.
Nowadays high ranks get their proper share of crime as well; there have been many cases.
IMO, the criminals realized that those top people are just the same scum bags as they are. :tired:
Thus, no respect.

donP

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Those were the old days.
Nowadays high ranks get their proper share of crime as well; there have been many cases.
IMO, the criminals realized that those top people are just the same scum bags as they are. :tired:
Thus, no respect.

donP

No wonder why there so much more "CRIME" now than before!:rolleyes:

No fear=No respect!

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Personally I see it as more of a lack of community and a sense that we are all in this together. As more wealth gets concentrated in fewer hands, and opportunities dwindle for the poor/uneducated......it baffles me why people are surprised. A sense of brotherhood, as Doc1727 reminisces, trumps instilling fear in my book, and it is being lost across the planet...pero come pero. I ain't no bleeding heart here, I believe en mano duro ,but like to see a level playing field.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Mean Tomcats

Personally I see it as more of a lack of community and a sense that we are all in this together. (...) A sense of brotherhood, ...

... does exist in the 'barrios' to a certain extent.

It is more like the brotherhood of the mean tomcats, as they would steal from neighbours without a second thought. Just the 'awesome culture' as it is always called. But nothing really bad normally happens among the barrio dwellers. Well, rarely...
They'd rather gang up against the police when the 'puntos de los hijos' are to be dismantled... ;)

However, outside the 'barrios' it is 'come solo'-land and "perro come perro".

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It was reported on the radio this morning that some English 'tourists' as they call them were held up and robbed of US$60,000 on the Puerto Plata/Navarette road at Altamira.

In the press it now says that they were two Americans, and Israeli and a Dominican and they were robbed of 2 cellphones, RD$400, an unspecified amount of US dollars and other belongings. The perpetrators were supposed policemen.

Dos supuestos polic?as asaltan a cuatro turistas en Puerto Plata ~ .....::::Nagua Digital Tv::::.....Noticias Y Mas

No doubt the story will change as more places publish it!

Matilda

thanks for listening and posting, Matt

if it was sixty k, then it was a drug bust..

if it was four hundred pesos, it was a stick up

but i suspect the former

undercover.. part of the las terrenas to mexico us marshall sweep

life is good now on Quiskeya

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
... does exist in the 'barrios' to a certain extent.

It is more like the brotherhood of the mean tomcats, as they would steal from neighbours without a second thought. Just the 'awesome culture' as it is always called. But nothing really bad normally happens among the barrio dwellers. Well, rarely...
They'd rather gang up against the police when the 'puntos de los hijos' are to be dismantled... ;)

However, outside the 'barrios' it is 'come solo'-land and "perro come perro".

donP

Ouch! Glad you caught the grammar on the perro's DonP, and I do mean that sincerely. I do agree to a small degree about the barrios having a bit more of a "common good" going on, but it is a far cry from times past....far...far. Especially with the pipero element now a certified member. Just ask Miguel Dilone about that...you are cool as long as you are down and out....make good and see how much brotherhood remains.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
With Disgust

.... "common good" going on, but it is a far cry from times past....far...far.

I better believe this, as my wife says the same. :rolleyes:

Especially with the pipero element now a certified member. Just ask Miguel Dilone about that....make good and see how much brotherhood remains.

I read that with disgust.
How pathetic to kill a 75-year old lady whose family used to help one of the murderers. :mad:

It happens everywhere?
Yes, but more probably here.
{Chip is still on vacation, right? :bunny: }

donP

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I better believe this, as my wife says the same. :rolleyes:

I read that with disgust.
How pathetic to kill a 75-year old lady whose family used to help one of the murderers. :mad:

It happens everywhere?
Yes, but more probably here.
{Chip is still on vacation, right? :bunny: }

donP

No nationality is exempt from ghetto mentality. In general though, the lack of feeling that your life is tied up in the well being of your neighbor/fellow citizen pervades....it is a crying shame...and starts from the top....as well as decades of a cross cultural dynamic influencing the decline of the native Dominican's worth ethic and sense of responsibility for their lot in life, compared to their counterparts over seas who have sacrificed much to be able to send them their remittance.

OK, I think I have opened a can of worms...no harm intended...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i dunno. it's not about not feeling tied up to your neighbour nor loving your fellow man. i think it may be certain lack of being able to make a connection between the action and the result, to say nothing about consequences.
i have deep fear of stepping against the law. not because i feel robbing someone is particularly bad (unless, of course, it is robbing me, then it's a capital crime) but rather because i am so afraid of what it results in: arrest, conviction, serving time or paying up. the moral side of it all this slips under the blanket of reality which is much more in your face. i see my actions in linear form, i predict the outcome, i weigh possibilities. this thought process is lacking in some dominicans: they do not think what will be, because what will be is not now. they do not care about the future because the future hasn't happened yet, it is not there.

moral conviction is another story altogether. i believe most people do not commit crimes not because crimes are immoral but because they are scared of legal consequences. in other words they are led by the letter of the law rather than ethical conduct. hey, i would gladly do some bad things, like b*tch slap someone who annoys me if only i knew i could get away with it.

and again, DR is a country where law is not respected or feared. let them hate me, provided they respect my conduct (tiberius).

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
i dunno. it's not about not feeling tied up to your neighbour nor loving your fellow man. i think it may be certain lack of being able to make a connection between the action and the result, to say nothing about consequences.
i have deep fear of stepping against the law. not because i feel robbing someone is particularly bad (unless, of course, it is robbing me, then it's a capital crime) but rather because i am so afraid of what it results in: arrest, conviction, serving time or paying up. the moral side of it all this slips under the blanket of reality which is much more in your face. i see my actions in linear form, i predict the outcome, i weigh possibilities. this thought process is lacking in some dominicans: they do not think what will be, because what will be is not now. they do not care about the future because the future hasn't happened yet, it is not there.

moral conviction is another story altogether. i believe most people do not commit crimes not because crimes are immoral but because they are scared of legal consequences. in other words they are led by the letter of the law rather than ethical conduct. hey, i would gladly do some bad things, like b*tch slap someone who annoys me if only i knew i could get away with it.

and again, DR is a country where law is not respected or feared. let them hate me, provided they respect my conduct (tiberius).

Sounds like your origins are of a state that does not pardon. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I think my point is more to....40+ years ago in the campo you did not steal a chicken from your neighbor, nor did you cut down un racimo de platano ajeno.....perhaps, to your point this was due to the reprisals within the community, the family name. Maybe I am romancing the notion that it also had something to do that everyone was pretty much in the same boat and there was a certain connection that manifested itself in that commonality.

As for the day to day mentality with little connection between action and result, that is the ghetto mentality (applying that to the majority of Dominicans I think would be selling them well short), observed in many areas and nations where education (not punishment) is not a priority.

End of the day, nice discussion....and I regret not being in town to meet you today.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know what? miesposo sometimes tells me that gringos have corrupted dominicans. maybe there is something to it. 40 years ago people worked. they had respect for work, there was nothing else they could do. and then white man rediscovered the paradise and it turned out that work was hard and trading favours was easy. and people became damn lazy.

and no worries, there will be other trips to santiago :)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here is yet another version. El Le?o Pinto Digital: PN investiga denuncia de asalto presentada por mujer, su novio norteamericano y la madre de ?ste.

This says it happened at 4am and is the report of the Dominican woman who was the partner of I assume the American man, Roman Protas and also there was his mother, Genaida. The Israeli mentioned in previous reports appears to have disappeared and a 4 year old child appeared!
According to this version the events took place at 4am when it appears that the American was arguing with his mother, and she made the car stop, and then she flagged down a white SUV and asked the driver if he was a taxi driver. He said they were police.

Then the american man, Roman started arguing with his mother again, and threatening her which the ‘police’ objected to especially in front of the 4 year old, and so they apparently arrested him and took him away. They then let him out further down the road, and took the 400 dollars and a grey bag from him, in which were personal documents and the two blackberries.

Seems to me like a case of total abject stupidity - but who knows if this version is correct!

Matilda

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
you know what? miesposo sometimes tells me that gringos have corrupted dominicans. maybe there is something to it. 40 years ago people worked. they had respect for work, there was nothing else they could do. and then white man rediscovered the paradise and it turned out that work was hard and trading favours was easy. and people became damn lazy.

and no worries, there will be other trips to santiago :)

Mi amor, are telling me the white man corrupted the Doms in Moca or La Vega or was it technology and the Dom Yorks. Either way it is what it is.