fun fact proud to be dominican

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
But the article is about USA-educated Dominicans. Yeah, they may know how to download the latest smartphone apps and even the name of all the members of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, and some may even know where to apply quadratic equations, but don't ask them about the Warren Court and its impact on American society or Dubya's extraordinary rendition practice.

In short, they know about events (who was kicked out from Dancing with the Stars AND the latest news regarding Venezuelan beauty queens), but nothing about the Kent State protests and massacre, the practice of Gerrymandering and/or anything IN PRINT.

just dominicans right...i dont think dominicans really watch dancig with the stars or housewives of atlanta..maybe the venezuela beauty queen

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
just because someone is not a scientist or a doctor doesnt make them unsuccessful theres plenty of dominican families especially in new york or in mass that own their own business and become successful from it..i feel that the next generation of dominicans are only going to enhance their social status

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
But the article is about USA-educated Dominicans. Yeah, they may know how to download the latest smartphone apps and even the name of all the members of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, and some may even know where to apply quadratic equations, but don't ask them about the Warren Court and its impact on American society or Dubya's extraordinary rendition practice.

In short, they know about events (who was kicked out from Dancing with the Stars AND the latest news regarding Venezuelan beauty queens), but nothing about the Kent State protests and massacre, the practice of Gerrymandering and/or anything IN PRINT.

Hey Luci, What's your beef? After all you are Dominican too!:rolleyes::D

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just look at Lawrence Massachusetts!
"Educated Dominicans" have made it a "Shining Example"!!!!!
Of Fraud,corruption,Welfare Fraud,drug dealing, prostitution,crime, a "Little Bit Of Santo Domingo"!!!!
"Good Job"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

He's the EXCEPTION, that proves the RULE!!!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Just look at Lawrence Massachusetts!
"Educated Dominicans" have made it a "Shining Example"!!!!!
Of Fraud,corruption,Welfare Fraud,drug dealing, prostitution,crime, a "Little Bit Of Santo Domingo"!!!!
"Good Job"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

He's the EXCEPTION, that proves the RULE!!!!

Oh, Dominicans brought all of that to the USA?

Really?

"Boss Tweed" and the Tammany Hall Machine

RealClearPolitics - Ten Most Corrupt Politicians - The Ten Most Corrupt Politicans in U.S. History

All this time I thought those were American institutions.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Didn't you know that when just white males were allowed to vote there wasn't all that corruption?

Corruption doesn't have a colour. I know several young Dominican Americans that have become doctors, pilots, and engineers in the USA, however that may not be somebodies definition of success.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I want Dominicans to succeed but I disagree with the numbers. The numbers aren't necessarily higher since there are other Spanish speaking groups with a higher population. It's also broken down into age groups.

This is as of the last census. the current census is under way.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acsbr10-19.pdf

I don't necessarily agree with those numbers either but hey let's hope our generation is trending
upwards.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think these numbers are skewed by the number of Dominican college graduates from Community College in NY. I know two of them personally and they are unemployable in any white collar job. They actually get paid to go to CC and learn NOTHING!!!!!

Also, the many many illegal Dominicans dont participate in these surveys.

Also, Dominicans have a higher propensity to lie.

Notwithstanding, I love Dominicans.

Who is employable with an Associate degree nowadays ???? :cross-eye

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My primary care physician in NJ is Dominican.:) He graduated from Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Any body is employable. Don't even need to be able to write your own name in your own language. If you are willing to work you are employable.

You are very right Derfish. I was referring to white collar jobs. A while, all you needed was a high school diploma to be an administrative assistant for example. Times have changed, many admin have at least a bachelor, some have Master degrees.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
You are very right Derfish. I was referring to white collar jobs. A while, all you needed was a high school diploma to be an administrative assistant for example. Times have changed, many admin have at least a bachelor, some have Master degrees.

True but the job has changed a lot over the years and a wide range of computer related skills are required, database management, spread sheet development, scheduling, assembling professional quality visual presentations and even in some cases web site design and maintenance. Today's Admin Asst. is a key component of unit success.

There are many well paid white collar positions available to people with associate degrees and as one who has been on the hiring side of the interviews for decades, these days one's certifications and task specific training will take them as far as they wish to go depending on their experience. A degree beyond the minimum qualifications of a job won't open any doors for a prospective employee but they will keep doors at successive levels of opportunity from slamming shut in their faces where open competition comes into play.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005

I have an Associate in Electronics. I have worked in Miami, PA, Mass, Long Island. no problems switching jobs.
I work as Unix support engineer. In 99 worked in a Y2K research/validation project along side two PHDs from Australia and
Malaysia. Right now studying for Red Hat certification and for 10 or 20K bump in pay. In some fields work experience is
more important than education

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I have an Associate in Electronics. I have worked in Miami, PA, Mass, Long Island. no problems switching jobs.
I work as Unix support engineer. In 99 worked in a Y2K research/validation project along side two PHDs from Australia and
Malaysia. Right now studying for Red Hat certification and for 10 or 20K bump in pay. In some fields work experience is
more important than education

Technology workers are paid in accordance with the level and variety of job specific technologies they have mastered. Those technologies are applicable everywhere, all over the world. The problem with the Tech industry is that at the top of every food chain you will usually find some bean counter who's about as technical as a bowl of rice.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
For years I've been trying to acquire an advanced degree in tigueraje (even to the point of sporting a corbata), in order to better my station in life, but to no avail. The odds are stacked against me: Uncle Sam turns me down; State and city agencies ignore me; private institutions laugh at me; Federal contractors don't even waste their time; and Wal-Mart won't hire an avowed Communist and Chic-fil-A hates my contempt for Christianity and all forms of cultish nonsense.

So, these days I just grab a beer and sing along to Warren Zevon's Poor Poor Pitiful Me

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
Dominicans can't SPELL Spanish, because they can't SPEAK Spanish!!!!!
"BoyPaYa"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

listen puerto ricans have their way of pronouncing words and so do cubans and so do mexicans i dont know were your from but im pretty sure that people from barrios of whatever country your from have their way of pronouncing words,just like every latin country,in spain not every one speaks the same with a lisp,in the caribe puerto rico,cuba and the d.r get most of the way they speak from the canary islands thats why carribeans speak different then the others,and not all dominicans have that dominican slang and just like not all puerto ricans speak with the extended j replacing the r in words

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Manny, based on your post I'll lay you 10-1 odds that you've never seen a Dominican text message