Gangs and Politics in Haiti

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I read sources from all sides...Sometimes there is an odd convergence.. For example - The Haitian Times has a history of leaning to the right - and this source comes at things from the left

- but they are both reporting the same take on this one..

..."Yeah, but actually, it’s not the army and it’s not the gangs who are officially known as gangs. It’s actually the families. The same guys who have those private ports, in fact have the biggest arsenal of weapons up the mountains of Petion-Ville where the rich live. Of course, they use it for their own protection, but it’s more than that. It’s those same weapons that are distributed to the gangs. And so it’s a very strange thing. A president is assassinated and there are gangs all over the place and they are quiet because their leader has been taken down. And they don’t know who the new sheriff in town is. And for their weapons to operate, they need ammunition. And people have been saying it all along. It’s not rocket science. The ammunitions that are coming to the gangs are not obtained by them ordering it themselves or going out of their little fiefdom because they are all very isolated. The gangs are rivals. So all of these guys receive regular replenishment through those families, those rich families who have control of the state apparatus, the police, and all of these things."...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don't think there have been many benevolent dictators in world history. Even if they start off with good intentions, they soon go off the path of good.

There have been. Your run-of-the-mill dictators are the ones that get all the press. But others do exist. Paul Kagame of Rwanda is a good example.
Almost 30 years of iron-firsted rule, and has done good things for the country.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There have been. Your run-of-the-mill dictators are the ones that get all the press. But others do exist. Paul Kagame of Rwanda is a good example.

A lot of people who grew up in western english speaking country's can't seem to understand that history has taught us some country's citizens are wired differently and require a dictator who rules with an irion fist.

Both Libya and Iraq are perfect examples.

Reactions: ctrob

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

And we can rest assured no one is complaining.
So, one dictatorships is good?
A healthy society will encourage peoples right to dissent.

You like "iron- firsted" rule but I see you do not live there.
Me, I like democracies with their attendant freedoms and regular changes in leadership.
When Kagame dies who will take over his" Iron- firsted"rule?

Glaring problem with dictatorships is succession.
The dim wit son may not be such a wonderful person and still no one will be complaining.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I read sources from all sides...Sometimes there is an odd convergence.. For example - The Haitian Times has a history of leaning to the right - and this source comes at things from the left

- but they are both reporting the same take on this one..

..."Yeah, but actually, it’s not the army and it’s not the gangs who are officially known as gangs. It’s actually the families. The same guys who have those private ports, in fact have the biggest arsenal of weapons up the mountains of Petion-Ville where the rich live. Of course, they use it for their own protection, but it’s more than that. It’s those same weapons that are distributed to the gangs. And so it’s a very strange thing. A president is assassinated and there are gangs all over the place and they are quiet because their leader has been taken down. And they don’t know who the new sheriff in town is. And for their weapons to operate, they need ammunition. And people have been saying it all along. It’s not rocket science. The ammunitions that are coming to the gangs are not obtained by them ordering it themselves or going out of their little fiefdom because they are all very isolated. The gangs are rivals. So all of these guys receive regular replenishment through those families, those rich families who have control of the state apparatus, the police, and all of these things."...
LMAO !!!! why don't you just say you hate businessmen with money

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Families or Mafias?
In some cases that’s a fine line. I have to say I am impressed with anybody who continues to do business in Haiti and is able to make money. I don’t believe the story of having to pay barbecue 500,000 usd a month.

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
seems to be open season on businessmen with a certain hue. People have always had contempt for business executives especially the C suite set. Some are motivated by accomplishments others are angry and want free bees
Trust me. I get it.
Used to be called "Land Of The Free"
Not "Land Of The Free Sh*t"

Reactions: Luperon

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I'm not sure that history completely agrees with you, although clearly there have been times in history when Haitian political leaders, of Haitian descent, on Haitian soil have not been looking out for the common people. A lot if not most of their issues, as I remember them, have been due to outside influences, invasions, dictators, etc.

I don't see a fast, easy or even likely path out of this mess for them in my lifetime. Could be generations away without real assistance from a major country as protector, financial backer, investor and friend. The Chinese want it, I suspect, and would be happy to pay for it through upfront investment but Haiti will lose out long term. It might be better for them in the short and even medium term though.
The Chinese are way too smart to put money in that sink hole. It holds nothing for them.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I hear fried chicken is cheaper.
Great name for another gang leader “Fried Chicken”. Or that is what a gang leader will do to you if you badmouth Haiti to much. Fry you like a chicken.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I'd bet the other way ;)
yea, The Communist party cant wait to tap into that vast talent pool in Haiti, engineers, scientists and the skilled workforce. I am so sure they will want to exploit the massive resources like mining bauxite indicated in another thread. Oh wait China already has a massive bauxite mining operation.

• Sad
Reactions: OldSkool and aarhus