Gated Real Estate developments in Sosua/Caberete

nyyankee09

May 7, 2003
ecarignan,
Are you happy with your decision to buy a villa in Casa Linda? If you had to do it over would you have invested in one of the other developments that you mentioned?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Where you buy is a matter of personal preference. I looked as Casa Linda but it wasn't for me. Cute homes, seemed secure but I think there are about 8 houses or more to an acre there. Real tight, if you have a dozen people over I didn't see anywhere to park the cars. Single lane road that goes in a circle. Cant park on the street and very limited off street parking.

Sea Horse Ranch and El Choco are really exclusive subdivisions that are well worth the money if you are ready, willing and able to commit to living in a big home. I have seen the values rise there as opposed to fall in other places. Resales in Casa Linda sell for less than what the people paid for them from what I have been told and seen.

Personally at this stage in my life I prefer a condo. I don't want to clean a pool or even write the check for someone else to clean it. If there is a problem I want to call Jose to come up and fix it. I want a manager to look after things.

Go figger...

Escott

nyyankee09

May 7, 2003
Jazzcom
What is the difference between a subdivision and gated community? What I read from Mainer's comments it seems the owners in the area put up there own money and organize security and maintence. They also have there own backup generators. Is that how it works in the Seahorse Ranch and El Choco? I had the feeling at the Seahorse the development took care of security, maintence and electricity not the owners getting together to handle this stuff. Thanks for your comments.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
nyyankee09 said:
Jazzcom
What is the difference between a subdivision and gated community? What I read from Mainer's comments it seems the owners in the area put up there own money and organize security and maintence. They also have there own backup generators. Is that how it works in the Seahorse Ranch and El Choco? I had the feeling at the Seahorse the development took care of security, maintence and electricity not the owners getting together to handle this stuff. Thanks for your comments.

Gated subdivisions are just that. They have gates to get in and have security at the gates and in the subdivisiion. A subdivision is just a division of land without services and just homes and lots. Has nothing to do with back up electric. Some developements can or may supply that but not all.

Mainers live in a 4 house complex where they share a night watchman and I believe backup electric. Cost for this is under 3000 pesos a month generally for the night watchman. The rest of the subdivision they are in for the most part take care of and for themselves individually.

I don't remember if Sea Horse Ranch supplied backup for the developement or just for the infrastructure and their restaurant. They only maintain public things at Sea Horse such as Pools, Landscaping Tennis, Riding Academy, Roads, Restaurant etc. They do NOT take care of your personal landscaping nor things that go wrong with YOUR home.

Hope this helps and I think I have answered your questions.

Escott

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
nyyankee,

Yes I am happy about the purchase. The main drag as Scott pointed out was the size of lots, mine is 800m.sq. It really depends what is the purpose of the house. My purchase was to come and spend approx 6 weeks in a year and let my family use it too.
I already have a 3 acre lot here in Canada with a big house on it on a lake, I didn't necessarily the same in the DR. I wanted a nice place to stay, not worry about theft while I was away the remainder of the year, 24hr electricity and Casa Linda answers those needs for now. If I ever decide to move to the DR on a permanent basis, of course, I will look for something with larger lot, more private and bigger house.
All in all, it depends what the purpose of your purchase is. Certainly you can get houses much cheaper than Canada and US in the DR and most of all,the sunshine comes with it.

ecarignan

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
They had 600m sq in Phase I and 800m sq in Phase II, which was built 2 yrs later. They are now on Phase III across the street, don't know the size. Did you end up buying that condo at El Neptuno Scott?

I was walking around the other day on my last trip and ended at El Neptuno, it seems nice there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I live in El Neptuno. Far as I am concerned, it is the best condo location in the Sosua area. We have about 1,300 sq ft with two bedrooms and two baths.

Condo fees presently above average for this area, running about US$280/month. Everyone wants to reduce them, but first there are some matters to deal with.

When I first moved in, nearly all the owners were absentee and seldom, if ever, spent time at El Neptuno. Now most of the owners of the 18 units either live here full time or spend a substantial amount of time here each year. A very good group of owners and most committed to maintain the property in excellent condition.

The present administrator is Carma Biggs. You can email her at carmabiggs@yahoo.com

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Eric/Jazz - Our lot in Casa Linda is 700; a little less than Eric's, but he and I have corner lots. In fact, we're across the street from one another.

My sentiment is same as Eric's. Ours houses suit us fine for coming down 4 or 5 times a year. No, there isn't adequate parking for a party; which we wouldn't have anyway. But if we lived there year-round, we'd be meeting lots of locals and could have a party. So, like Eric, if we lived in DR, we'd look for something larger.

As far as our needs, a gated community was the answer, rather than gated subdivision.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Gated Communities

Hi nyyankee09!

When we were looking for a place to purchase and subsequently rent out we considered the distances that had to be travelled to get groceries, go to the beach, security, insects, water and power. We checked out the Casa Linda development and we felt it was too far from either town, needing a taxi or car to get anywhere. Pro Cab answered all our problems. It is a community of privately built and owned houses and condos. It is a ten minute walk to the beach, nightlife, restaurants and services. We do not pay condo fees but we (all the owners) pay for the security, street and light maintenance and if applicable, commission to an agent who will arrange rentals of your home. Personally, we do our own rentals on our own web site. We have our own back-up power system and water and cisterns. We pay our own water, electric, cable TV, property maintenance and housekeeping costs. Actual property management is done through a couple we contracted with privately. We did not want to have to buy a car at the outset and wanted it to be convenient to everything for anyone who was renting. Sea Horse Ranch, Lomas Mironas, Perla Marina and Casa Linda are all midway between Cabarete and Sosua. It is a choice and you should first list your own priorities. Hope this helps alittle!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
At this point all I own in the DR is the one building lot. I do own a condo in Woodstock NY and buying another in Suffern NY on the 13th of June for my dad and myself.

I agree with Ken that El Neptuno has a GREAT location. Walking distance to everything, across the street from the ocean and above all it is quiet considering how well located it is. For those not familiar with the complex it is across the street from Pier Georgio and on the same road as the beach but about 4 blocks away.

I also agree that the maintenence is way too high comparing it to EVERYTHING else on the north coast and that is the biggest drawback as I see it.

I always rent a car when I am in town and will probably buy one there this year but it is still nice and convienent if you like to walk.

If I lived there I would be spending many nights at Pier Georgio having dinner and drinks since I consider it to be one of the top 5 restaurants in the area if not the finest.

Where is Pro Cab? How can you not pay maintenence if it has shared services and condos? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me as a condo owner.

Escott

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Pro Cab - Cabarete

Pro Cab is at the east end of Cabarete, almost opposite Janet's Supermarket. It's reasonably quiet and convenient for the whole of Cabarete.
However, some people keep on about gated/secure developments? Yes, pro Cab is gated - but it's certainly not secure!!! Just look around at all the houses etc with security bars. When will local residents actually tell the truth about what really happens in communities regarding after dark villains?
BUT - we're still happy being here......... and we do pay a community charge per month, but it's very minimal, but it doesn't give you much either!
Perhaps the new condos near the entrance will improve the situation?
PS: Welcome to all the new owners who should be moving in very shortly.

Miko

May 23, 2003
NY, I own a townhouse unit at the Nanny Estate. Great rentals and fantastic management and staff. The bonus is that the other owners are the best. Right on the ocean and 15 minutes walk to town. Check out their web site: www.cabaretebeachhouses.com :cool:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Miko - One of these condos is for sale thru Century21. We almost looked at it, but decided on a house instead.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, it's on page 14 of their web site for $83K. 2b/1.5bath, 915 sq ft. Apartment is 2 story with spiral stair case.

Think it's a little steep for the square footage, but....

Miko

May 23, 2003
beach house

Actually, Century 21 is a bit off on the square footage Jan. The units are 105 square meters (which converts to 1,130 s.f). Before we bought last year, we travelled all over the place in the Caribbean and Central America. Once we established the price range of DR and what you get for you money compared to the other islands (plus no waiting time of 1 year of more for the permits) it was an easy choice. Then when we saw these units and was using it as a comparable for other houses, condos, etc we always came back to it. Then again, it depends on your own criteria. In our case, we wanted ease of maintenance, security, and biggest factor of them all, cannot beat having the ocean always in front of you. To top it off, Cabarete is a real gem. There is always something going on in this bay, plus always a breeze. Then bonuses as Race week, Jazz Fest, Kite week,etc.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Miko,

I've walked on the beach many times in front of those Nanny Estates and once went up the stairs from the beach, it's a truly nice development.

I think it's perfect location on the beach and a short walk from Cabarete and great dining (especially Casita Don Alfredo or Pappi).

That's what's so nice about the north coast, the number of nice developments and a broad range of choises and budgets. I'm day dreaming about the beach, from here in Canada where the summer is not quite here yet.

Miko

May 23, 2003
Same here Ecarignan, from Montreal and flight is booked for July 11th, 49 days left.....and counting. Ahhh, the taste of Presidente!!!
:cool:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Hey, Eric - Yeah, even in Kentucky it's only been 70 during day. Pleasant for golf - but not for the pool.

Hubby couldn't get a good flight fare for this weekend to go down, so he's suffering more withdrawals until we get down there in July. But my god, the fares are outrageous - we may not be going then either!

Miko - i think the condos look very nice and you're right, Cabarete is a great place to be - always something going on. I could sit and watch the kite surfers for hours!