Gated Real Estate developments in Sosua/Caberete

nyyankee09

May 7, 2003
Miko,
What kind of maintence fees do you pay per month at Nanny Estates? What is security like there? Eric said he walked into the development right off the beach. Can anyone do this? Thanks for your info.

Miko

May 23, 2003
NY,
This year, we have an exceptional posting for rebuilding the beach wall, but in normal time, the yearly fees are approx. $ 3,000
As far as security goes, we do not have any problem, during the day, there are enough people on the grouds that anyone coming up from the beach is spotted by either owners or staff because of the layout of the houses. During night time, we have a watchman that walks the grounds until morning.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
the repair of that beach wall is going
to be a regular cost.
I have seen them repairing that wall for many years now.
And they still do it wrong.
The only way to built a lasting seawall is
going deep.Several meters deeper then the lowest
tide of the year.
On that side of the bay ,where ever they built walls or structures you see that the waves
are allready digging underneath.
Get a civil engineer, lots of them around.
and your problem will be solved virtually
for ever.

Miko

May 23, 2003
Paul,
we are using an enginneer on this project and numerous similar experience. They took in account tide reports of last 20 years, currents, winds, etc. The 6-12 tons boulders are going to be set in deep contrary to past mistakes. If you have been there last week, you will see that we have heavy duty machinery on the beach for that purpose right now. My last info on this is that they are waiting for the geo-textile to arrive to start setting those huge suckers. This should be a final project to exceed my lifetime.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Sea Wall

Unfortunately I have to agree with Paul! From what I see at the moment it's a bit of a mess and the current movement of the sands will soon begin to move all those big rocks you're putting in!
All that's happening at the moment is the beach walk from Cabarete to the Kite Beach is now being blocked by a pile of stones!
These beach protection structures do need to be carefully designed and professionally constructed if they are to withstand the power of the waves. I do hope that you are secure in the confidence you have in your Civil Engineer? What structures will be placed at the front of the wall to absorb the wave energy as without that the stones will soon begin to suffer?
I've been involved in this sort of thing for the Dubai Government for the last 15 years and in my experience it costs a hell of a lot of money to make it work!
Anyway, good luck and please don't block the beach.

Miko

May 23, 2003
beach wall

Peter & Alex,
Don't worry, quite to the contrary, calls to unblock the path to Kite Beach. The boulders on the beach are there temporaly as they are waiting for the geo-textile to arrive. Actually, they have removed most of the old concrete blocks that were in front of the place and were a hazard and will be used in front of Nahia de Arena to protect their erosion. Not sure if they were successful in pulling all of them out of the ocean. The engineers working on this have alot of experience in similar projects and did quite alot a pre-study on our particular situation.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Basic Sea Protection Info

Miko,
Good answer and pleased to see that you have confidence in your Engineers.
Unfortunately the basics of this type of protection construction can be better simplified by the following:
Essentially, the relevant formulas say in simplified words that the grain size (diameter) in the coarser layers of the protection must not be more than about 4 times that in the finer layer. 12-ton rock on Caribbean sand does not meet this requirement! Landlubbers would think this problem acts only in the direction of gravity, but we old mariners know the frightful forces acting on all things near waves. In fact, even if the big rocks were put in a deeper trench, there would still be sand sucked out and thus the likelihood of settlement! Large stones never remain visible for long on a sandy shore, they sink and disappear below the surface. (Your previous concrete lumps, some perhaps still lost, are a prime example). If there is a substantial surf, which there can be in that area of shore break in your vicinity, it might/will erode the formation in front of the revetment, causing additional subsidence; that is why clever people put a "toe" (scour protection) in front of such things, i.e. a blanket of suitable stones laid on a geotextile layer along the foot of the main rock slope.
In practical terms, you would start the construction of any revetment on a sandy shore such as the one you have, with a geotextile layer, (heavy duty type, with very good overlap joints), then some small stones/rock armour, then some medium stones/rock armour, then the final armour layer, observing the filter size criteria mentioned above.
It is not my intention to be too critical but I would hate to see you lose a lot of money on a wasted endeavour. I am, however, pleased to see that your Engineers will be using geo-textile and if it's placed properly, with the right sized rock armour layers in the right places then at least it will have a chance of outlasting previous attempts at protection. Believe me when I add that I am trying to be a little helpful here but having suffered ill health through the successes, failures and stresses associated with deep water ports & harbours, sea walls, dredging channels, etc. for very demanding clients for many years I finally got to retire and just kick back and I'd prefer to keep it that way.
Wanna meet and chat over a beer then that would be fun. We're in Cabarete. PM us.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Too bad a great thread got hijacked into some private owners' private discussions. Din't you guys have regularly scheduled association meetings?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
KenoshaChris said:
Too bad a great thread got hijacked into some private owners' private discussions. Din't you guys have regularly scheduled association meetings?

I don't think that this thread is really such a bad thing. I live in Cabarete and I'm really interested in seeing how and what is being done to clear the beach walk to kite beach and also what people are doing in terms of beach erosion. This remains public beach. I also think it is quite relevant to Gated Real Estate Developments in the area. If someone is thinking of buying there, it is good to know upfront what is being done with the ruined seawall and areas where erosion is a threat. I'm happy, but then I live in Cabarete.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Jazz, I have very little input here as I don't know much about seawalls, or gated developments. I found the whole thread interesting. I simply don't think it has been hijacked to the extent that it is impossible to discuss the main topic. You and and others have much more insight and experience in this area and I look forward to more contributions. Let's roll and not clutter it up any more.... ;)

I do have a specific question directly related - Have you or others in this area seen a significant depreciation in property prices with all the happenings with the Peso and Baninter? Are gated developments more 'resistant' to property depreciation because of their facilities?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I haven't seen a decline in prices but I did have an offer accepted that wasn't accepted a month previous because of the value of the Peso. I should close on Monday on a new piece but will let you know when it is done.

Most stuff on the North Coast is pegged to the US Dollar that I have run across. Never get quoted in Pesos EVER. Hah, wonder why.

Scott

Miko

May 23, 2003
Chris,
Nice to see your feedback. Even if this tread turned a bit, you are right. I am a newcomer in DR and just bought last July. Saw som erosion at that time but nothing like the extent we experienced in October. Actually quite dramatic at that time as we were living major changes almost every day. Whoever buys beach front properties have to take this in account and not just look at the houses and gardens. So in this perspective, I think our comments were still in the trend. Lucky in our case, we hopefully resolved the problem in a permanent way. Other gated housing projects around may be suffering or will suffer eventually the same. Right next door, you have Bahia de Arena, with beautifull houses but thay are budgeting anything for the protection of the ocean front (and seems some divergence between the first row owners and the back ones on this matter). I could also see this same erosion problem coming to Valero condo project at the other side of the bay.
As far as prices are concerned and form my research at the time I was buying, Sosua is feeling a more substantial drop in value than Cabarete even if we are all pegged to US$. Looks like the whole place over there if for sale (caused by all the Germans leaving) and the hotels are having a hard time (even if some crazy guys just built four more). In our case, one house was just sold for asking price. Then again I think Nanny's has a very special design (houses VS apt.condo feeling), and location you cannot beat.
Another piece of info for whoever buys a place: take it that you will have alot more maintenance on a house than expected the closer you are to the ocean. You practically have to think like owning a boat.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Wow how true... Buy Ocean front homes with Teak and Brass fittings and you will still have a lot of maintenence.

I know people that have to have all new electrical stuff every year of so.

Paul does the Salt water affect you in any way?

Escott

Edited to Add:

I am more of a Pool than a Beach person. I don't like sand on my shine when catching some sun but there is nothing like looking out at the Ocean every day. I would love to live on it but do NOT want to pay for the costs that come along with it or do the work.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We have a saying on Cape Cod,No matter where you buy,

..sooner or later,you will have beachfront property!!! I have seen multi-million dollar beach houses tumble into the sea and be torn apart by the surf!.Chatum has a sand bar that was intact since the pilgrims landed.A big "Nor-Easter" punched a hole in the sand bar about 15 years ago.Dozens of houses have been lost.As far as building seawalls goes:"Its not nice to fool MOTHER NATURE!"In the end "SHE" will win! Cris Colon

one_more_wave

Feb 1, 2003
Darwin got it wrong!

Maybe we did crawl out of the brine slowly, the whole process taking millions of years, but he failed to mention the crime of human desire in wanting to ' own ' a piece of the sand where we moored......

I love the beach.....and see sweet revenge in mother nature taking back what's her's......when I see beachfront properties being blown away......

When I was a kid, I spent lots of time sandbagging....but no more!

Just stand in awe......watching "justice being rightously served"

Miko

May 23, 2003
Re: We have a saying on Cape Cod,No matter where you buy,

Criss Colon said:
...As far as building seawalls goes:"Its not nice to fool MOTHER NATURE!"In the end "SHE" will win! Cris Colon
Yep, you are right, and the engineers are talking of 75-100 year sea defense here, so eventually it might end up back in the ocean, as long as it is in that time frame. The only way that this would work is to go along with nature, not against and that's the way these guys are supposed to think.
We are still crazy about the place, just cannot beat the view, even from my bed and are ready to put up with the increase upkeep, but anyone contemplating ocean front, think twice, have deeper pockets and better yet, get into a gated development that have a good maintenance record and staff.

Further note about nature's strenght: Have a place on Lake Champlain in Vermont. Neighbour puts in massive concrete blocks (2 tons each) piled up like lego (and ugly as a sin) 250 feet along shore line. Frost in now pushing those suckers into the lake.

Who else lives in the Cabarete area, will be down on July 11th., maybee could get together over cerveza:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When I worked for Hotel Gran Bahia, we built a seawall to protect a walk that ran from the hotel's dock to a nearby beach. We used very large boxes made of rebar and filled them full of rocks. These filled boxes were very, very heavy. The boxes were built on a design used in Europe and elsewhere to construct seawalls.

Worked fine until a hurricane passed nearby. The seas kicked up by the powerful storm shoved the boxes out of position and tore up the walk.

You may think you are equal to Mother Nature, but, as CC says, she will have her way.