german resident killed in distrito nacional

potus

Dec 27, 2015
diplom?tico suizo>>>Hence, not German?
I would question the maid very strongly.......Gringos always make the same mistake, they see only cheap labor! Meanwhile they pay the highest price possible........

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
the living situation down there ...what does that mean. ..with only a fraction of the killings that happen up there ...on the same day as the tragic Orlando Massacre there were a further 97 people killed by firearms up there . It is easy to see that foreigners murdered here sometimes have an association with places and people where trouble is not uncommon

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well Kip, we do need to factor in the size of the population.
Not that I disagree with you.
But 10M people cf 300M is a multiple of 30.

Seems to me the RD killings are more targeted vs the randomness of the USA.
Just how I see it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, the man originally reported to be German was actually Swiss:

Murdered man was legal advisor to Swiss Embassy
As reported in DR1 News on Tuesday, 15 June 2016, a man said to be a German national who was found dead on Monday, 14 June afternoon by his maid in his home located at Calle Mao No. 16 in Los Rios residential area in the National District has now been identified as the legal advisor at the Swiss Embassy in the country.
56-year old Wolfgang Heimann died as a result of multiple stab wounds.
The Police say that a safe was stolen that contained documents and other possessions, along with two shotguns, a kitchen knife and a Porsche Panamera car that was found burned out under a bridge on nearby Jacobo Majluta Avenue.
The Police reported that three people are now being investigated for the crime.
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...atico-suizo-en-republica-dominicana-IB4021903

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I understand that and no I never thought DR was Disneyland. I live in Florida so I know. When the man shot up the library at FSU I only live 10 mins away at the most. Just said it like that because they said in the article that he was covered in a pool of blood. Well if most of the murders stem from an argument then that's a different story. As for people robbing each other I understand that there as well. This may be in another area of the site but just curious about the laws of people carrying firearms down that live there? Would it not be a viable option to protect yourself?

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

Arming yourself here has many risks, some already mentioned. What's not mentioned is you, a foreigner have limited rights here and the justice deck is stacked in favour of Dominicans. If you shoot a Dominican for any reason, you will end up in jail and not see daylight until you pay enough money to the police, lawyers, and judge to obtain your freedom. The DR is not Kansas Toto! Despite that, the likelihood of an Orlando type massacre happening in the DR is low.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
the living situation down there ...what does that mean. ..with only a fraction of the killings that happen up there ...on the same day as the tragic Orlando Massacre there were a further 97 people killed by firearms up there . It is easy to see that foreigners murdered here sometimes have an association with places and people where trouble is not uncommon
with the living situation what I am talking about are the economic options that are available down there for most Dominicans. From reading on this site and talking to other dominicans my take on it is that there are not as many economic options available to them and the ones that do have a job do not make much granted there are exceptions to the rule.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That 4 door Porsche is very rare here. After killing the guy it would be very difficult driving or trying to sell without getting caught

agreed. the only way to sell it would be by getting it somehow to haiti.
burning the car was logical in terms of removing evidence.

apparently this case was discussed today in la zeta and more info may be coming soon.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
with the living situation what I am talking about are the economic options that are available down there for most Dominicans. From reading on this site and talking to other dominicans my take on it is that there are not as many economic options available to them and the ones that do have a job do not make much granted there are exceptions to the rule.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

The majority of the violence here is due to poverty, drugs, etc. Violence against women, spousal abuse is due partly to the machismo element in Latin society and not limited to DR males. Other causes are a corrupt justice system from the police on the street to the judge sitting on the bench and further still into the halls of government here. Lack of education and lack of well paying jobs also contribute to the cause.

There is some hope for the future DR generations. There is a concerted effort on the government's part to increase the number of schools, open them to all classes of society and provide more educational opportunities. The recently reelected President is threatening to crack down on crime and corruption. 12,000 military troops are helping the DR police forces in that regard. There is a growing middle class here. Teaches have been given significant raises, etc.

Perception is the big problem here. The poor see expats living in nice homes and condos, driving nice cars, etc. Material possessions they can't hope to obtain when the average DR family of four or five is living on $500 to $700 US a month. They assume we are rich and don't feel guilty scamming or robbing foreigners. Robberies often end in violence when guns come into play. If a foreigner is foolish enough to flash large amounts of money here in public, trouble usually comes quickly. Resisting a robbery canquickly result in death. High profile expats are watched by thousands of eyes every day. A lot of this can be avoided by using common sense and street smarts.

Police and military receive low pay, hence no incentive to perform their jobs well. If they can supplement their income by corrupt means, they often go down that road. Especially if they see their superiors doing the same thing. Unless there are basic societal changes here the problems will continue. Add the DR's massive debt load to all of this and you quickly understand how and why society operates here. Most people here survive by living day to day.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Ecoman ,the statisics do not show what you wrote,,they say the crime is caused by delinquency and by far the greatest number of targets are Dominicans ...Also the DR has not got a massive debt load and I doubt if any delinquent has even heard of that phrase so is not an influence.. I doubt if anyone can put the finger on one single reason we have violence here ....

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Arming yourself here has many risks, some already mentioned. What's not mentioned is you, a foreigner have limited rights here and the justice deck is stacked in favour of Dominicans. If you shoot a Dominican for any reason, you will end up in jail and not see daylight until you pay enough money to the police, lawyers, and judge to obtain your freedom. The DR is not Kansas Toto! Despite that, the likelihood of an Orlando type massacre happening in the DR is low.
Not fully true!!!! I know of one expat who shot burglar killed him... No jail nothing praised him and said he is lucky!!!!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Not fully true!!!! I know of one expat who shot burglar killed him... No jail nothing praised him and said he is lucky!!!!
With that said Im A hunter in canada and range shooter for handguns and never felt need here in Canada or DR to carry gun...
You look for trouble you will find it...

potus

Dec 27, 2015
With that said Im A hunter in canada and range shooter for handguns and never felt need here in Canada or DR to carry gun...
You look for trouble you will find it...

Sorry, I am not understanding. Are you implying that this Swiss Gentlemen was seeking trouble?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Per-capa I believe the North Coast is far more dangerous than the Capital. 7 years not one threat. BUT,, hang out in Cristo Rey which is one of the worst barrios obviously its a completely different world.Every large city in the world has these dangerous pocket barrios Do not confuse that area with living in the Capital.
To me Cabarete/Sosua feels far less safe than here.

I've lived on the North Coast. I lived in the capitol. Criminals who live in these barrios go
to other sections of town/ the city to commit their crimes. I am dumb founded as to
how you feel less safe on the North Coast? I have never seen any street crime on the
North Coast. I can't count the number of times I've seen a women get her bag snatched
or that I've been sitting in traffic and someone reach into the carrito with a weapon
to steal a cell phone from a passenger.

Living in or visiting one of these barrios has never been a problem for me. Having to deal
with hungry animals in the capitol who've left there natural habbit (barrio) for the evening
to (rob and steal) feed.... has.

Last edited:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Ecoman ,the statisics do not show what you wrote,,they say the crime is caused by delinquency and by far the greatest number of targets are Dominicans ...Also the DR has not got a massive debt load and I doubt if any delinquent has even heard of that phrase so is not an influence.. I doubt if anyone can put the finger on one single reason we have violence here ....

I agree delinquency is one of the causes. Whether or not it is the main cause is open for discussion. I believe poverty and lack of education are the main causes. Better incomes, better education and a better sense of self worth would, I think, reduce the crime rate over time.

Danilo came into power burdened with a major debt problem from previous Presidents. Under his administration, the cost of living has risen significantly and continues to rise because of increased taxation to try and balance government expenditures. Danilo has been plugging away at the DR debt problems, however, it still diminishes the government ability to pay decent wages to the people who deal with the crime on the streets, the police. Because of it they lack the motivation to do a good job and rise above the corruption. Pay them a decent wage and maybe they will do a decent job. Whether or not the crime rate would diminish if wages were better remains to be seen. But it would be a starting point.

The reasons I provided to Jaws were general in nature. I didn't say expats were specific targets. I know the stats show the number of Dominicans mudering Dominicans far outnumber the Dominicans murdering expats. That's a logical result of the population density. I assumed Jaws wanted a foreigners perspective and based my response accordingly.

As mentioned, major societal shifts will have to occur before the crime rate changes. Up to now the DR government has provided motherhood statements, lip service, and little else to deal with the crime rate. The latest addition of 12,000 military troops to assist the police was done for election purposes and will quickly fade into the background. Look at the money wasted during therecent elections, the money wasted on project overruns and poor planning, the money sloughed off to grease the hand of politicans in all levels of government. The reality is the crime rate in the DR is just one burning tree in an island wide forest fire.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Its funny how expats think that they are so wealthy and are targeted. The people worth stealing from arent foreigners, SD is a far more dangerous place than anywhere on the poor North Coast