german resident killed in distrito nacional

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Forgot to add, the new government is already talking about another tax increase for goods and services. And so it goes.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Its funny how expats think that they are so wealthy and are targeted. The people worth stealing from arent foreigners, SD is a far more dangerous place than anywhere on the poor North Coast

Most of the expats I know are not wealthy. However my Dominican friends perceive them as having a higher standard of living then they do. It's a perception thing. I agree major cities can be more dangerous than small towns. I visit and stay in a range of places. The small country towns appear to be much safer than the large cities. I tend to steer clear of large cities and explore remote areas.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Some towns are more dangerous than the city. Look at Haina, San Cristobal, Boca Chica or San Francisco de Macoris for example. Of course, places like Capotillo, Simon Bolivar, some parts of Herrera and La Cienaga in the Capital are easily some of the most dangerous places in the whole caribbean, but Santo Domingo is a big city with many safe places but also many hell on earth kind of places. Now if we compare city vs city though, I would say that a San Francisco de Macoris is more dangerous than Santo Domingo per capita.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Some towns are more dangerous than the city. Look at Haina, San Cristobal, Boca Chica or San Francisco de Macoris for example. Of course, places like Capotillo, Simon Bolivar, some parts of Herrera and La Cienaga in the Capital are easily some of the most dangerous places in the whole caribbean, but Santo Domingo is a big city with many safe places but also many hell on earth kind of places. Now if we compare city vs city though, I would say that a San Francisco de Macoris is more dangerous than Santo Domingo per capita.

The first drug traffickers came from SFM. Drugs =Crime easy equation!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I've lived on the North Coast. I lived in the capitol. Criminals who live in these barrios go
to other sections of town/ the city to commit their crimes. I am dumb founded as to
how you feel less safe on the North Coast? I have never seen any street crime on the
North Coast
. I can't count the number of times I've seen a women get her bag snatched
or that I've been sitting in traffic and someone reach into the carrito with a weapon
to steal a cell phone from a passenger.

Living in or visiting one of these barrios has never been a problem for me. Having to deal
with hungry animals in the capitol who've left there natural habbit (barrio) for the evening
to (rob and steal) feed.... has.

I know a modest size expat group in SD that have all been here 7+ years, not one has even witnessed these crimes. This is a large city with very few tourists/expats so they can easily live in obscurity. I know the criminals will gladly attack any race, color etc. but we all know the average foreignor is a richer easier target.
That said, where are most of the unprotected tourist hanging out? North Coast! Punta Cana mostly being AI resorts its a little more difficult to reach them. Do you really find it hard to believe this?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I know a modest size expat group in SD that have all been here 7+ years, not one has even witnessed these crimes. This is a large city with very few tourists/expats so they can easily live in obscurity. I know the criminals will gladly attack any race, color etc. but we all know the average foreignor is a richer easier target.
That said, where are most of the unprotected tourist hanging out? North Coast! Punta Cana mostly being AI resorts its a little more difficult to reach them. Do you really find it hard to believe this?

I know such expats also they live in their own circles and hardly mingle with the locals.
Twice they tried to rob me in the capital in broad daylight, never had any problems in Boca Chica

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Ecoman ,the statisics do not show what you wrote,,they say the crime is caused by delinquency and by far the greatest number of targets are Dominicans ...Also the DR has not got a massive debt load and I doubt if any delinquent has even heard of that phrase so is not an influence.. I doubt if anyone can put the finger on one single reason we have violence here ....

I have my reservations about the use of government statistics to obtain a true picture of the delinquency crime rate in the DR.

1. They are generated by the government and are self serving. When the current government came to power, they generated stats to prove the economic mess they were in and justify significant tax increases. During the election they generated stats to show how rosy things were and make empty political promises. Less than one month in power, the new government is using stats to justify another tax increase.

2. Not all delinquent crimes get reported and investigated. A lot don't because of police corruption, poor forensic investigation skills, or simple selectivity on the part of the police services.

3. The only ones included in the stats are the ones that get to the successful conviction stage.

In my estimation, using government generated stats to gain a clear picture of what is actually happening is akin to a man using a magnifying glass to determine the correct size of his penis. It look good but it ain't true! My apologies to the more genteel readers of this forum for using this analogy. Meemselle, feel free to chastise me if you wish. lol!

I'm analytical by nature and spent 38 years working in a scientific field requiring analytical skills. I tend to question everything to get to the heart of the matter. As a Catholic student, I didn't buy the religious tripe the nuns were using to brainwash us. I still have the ruler scars on my knuckles to prove it. He he he!

Regarding the DR debt load, it wasn't that long ago the DR government was in major financial difficulty and the DR peso was subject to a devaluation. 2008 was the year it occurred, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. To Danilo's credit, the peso has stabilized since then.

So ends my morning rant. The weather is clearing, the temperature is rising, and the wind is dropping on the lake in front of myhouse. Think I'll slip my kayak in the water and explore some of the quiet areas around the lake. Follow that up with a tall glass of Captain Morgan in my large Coronation Street cooler, ( yes I'm a C Street fan and not ashamed to admit it), sit on my deck and while away a few hours doing the Globe and Mail crossword. If my pet moose happens to walk by, I have a few carrots handy to feed him. Life is good! I know it's as hot as Hades there now but I wish I was in the DR downing a few Boheme Grandes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
most populated areas have the highest homicide rates. in DR it's following provinces/areas: SD, DN, santiago, san cristobal.

alas, this thread should be about this particular murder. crime in general has been discussed ad nauseum.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Okay, that explains it. He was a German working for the Swiss Embassy, thanks.

It is so difficult to receive reliable information in this country. My goodness, the press here is really not worth a whole lot.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It is so difficult to receive reliable information in this country. My goodness, the press here is really not worth a whole lot.

the link in my post #10 already offered this info:
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...atico-suizo-en-republica-dominicana-IB4021903

it said: consultor jur?dico de la embajada de Suiza en Rep?blica Dominicana and then jurista alem?n.
pretty straightforward info. not to mention that originally his surname was quoted as deutch which is often the case with german nationals here where the nationality listed in the passport is mistaken for last name (also happens to crime victims called british citizen).
it's a different story that people misinterpreted working at a swiss embassy for being swiss.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I know a modest size expat group in SD that have all been here 7+ years, not one has even witnessed these crimes.

I lived in Santo Domingo for about a year and a half, first on the DN side, then on
the east side (where most of working class lives), I never owned a car, always used
public transportation. I am speaking about safety in general, not just safety with
regards to foreigners who live on the island. I disagree with you on this one.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The reason I posted the link was not as it said he was a German working for the Swiss embassy as DV8 had already sourced that it was due to this revelation: "Since the house no security cameras were installed, the police have now arranged the evaluation of the surveillance cameras of the emergency call system 911th Only three people were questioned by the police because they suspected the offender from the private circle of the Swiss diplomat."

And having said he was German in the article he ends up being a Swiss diplomat - hey ho.

Matilda

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013