german tourist murdered on the malecon in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
reopened to post an update.
two man accused of this crime were acquitted because of insufficient evidence:
http://notiplata.com/acusados-atracar-matar-turista-aleman-pp-quedan-libres-insuficiencia-pruebas/
prosecutor will appeal this decision:
http://notiplata.com/fiscalia-pp-ap...endencia-complaciente-frente-casos-este-tipo/

Thanks for the update dv8.....wish I could say I was surprised. Let's hope this year is a better year for extranjeros on this island paradise.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's called Dominican justice. Anytime a crime occurs against a foreigner, the foreigner pays and the Dominican walks.

And that is yet another reason to think about leaving.Never wear jewelry or anything shiny in front of Dominicans, it drives them loco. got a Rolex - prepare to lose your arm. Drive a Range Rover prepare to have it stolen or broken into.
My friend left her iPhone in the big thatched roof restaurant starting with a
'B'. Well she realized it just before she caught her flight and I went back to the Big 'B' and to my surprise the waiter had it & returned it and I gave him a 1,000 peso reward. I guess that didn't impress him as he said "Pero esto es un celular muy costoso".
Too late he'd already handed to me and I thought shouldn't honest be free ? Yes but not here.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
And that is yet another reason to think about leaving.Never wear jewelry or anything shiny in front of Dominicans, it drives them loco. got a Rolex - prepare to lose your arm. Drive a Range Rover prepare to have it stolen or broken into.
My friend left her iPhone in the big thatched roof restaurant starting with a
'B'. Well she realized it just before she caught her flight and I went back to the Big 'B' and to my surprise the waiter had it & returned it and I gave him a 1,000 peso reward. I guess that didn't impress him as he said "Pero esto es un celular muy costoso".
Too late he'd already handed to me and I thought shouldn't honest be free ? Yes but not here.

It's interesting how this island has changed in the last twenty years. For many of you, it's hard to imagine that Foreigners use to be a protected species. There were no home evasions, one could live and move about without security. *Theft was a rare occurance that caught every bodies attention. And hence, the perps would most likely be caught and the items returned. Literally, you could leave your car or home unlocked and it would not be bothered. This use to be a truly idyllic place to be, for a second home or a visit.

However one day in 2002, I heard English spoken for the first time on Sosua beach. I knew this wasn't good but maybe those stories about Americans destroying everything when the come was just talk. Well, I've witnessed the Island slowly become a cesspool. Many of you will debate the causes, but to me it's clear.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's interesting how this island has changed in the last twenty years. For many of you, it's hard to imagine that Foreigners use to be a protected species. There were no home evasions, one could live and move about without security. *Theft was a rare occurance that caught every bodies attention. And hence, the perps would most likely be caught and the items returned. Literally, you could leave your car or home unlocked and it would not be bothered. This use to be a truly idyllic place to be, for a second home or a visit.

However one day in 2002, I heard English spoken for the first time on Sosua beach. I knew this wasn't good but maybe those stories about Americans destroying everything when the come was just talk. Well, I've witnessed the Island slowly become a cesspool. Many of you will debate the causes, but to me it's clear.

English spoken on Sousa Beach for the 1st time in 2002 ? I've had been coming here before than that, and I was not a great explorer from the North who discovered Sosua. In 2002 there plenty of Brits, Canadians and Americans here, speaking English, so Sousa was "invaded" well before 2002, with many business owners here from the North as well. - And their was theft and home invasions then too, maybe less than now, that I blame on drugs. (Razor wire has been on the walls around homes here since it replaced the barb wire or glass that proceeded it).
I think maybe had you said 1962 I might have bought into that fairy tale of Sosua.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, but the topic of this thread is this singular murder, not a fall of sosua.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
there wasn't as much violent crimes back then but they did happen , and that's a bunch of bull about not having to lock your doors, you must have been on a different island, and ther have always been more canuks here then Americans so you people must have screwed this place up.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's called Dominican justice. Anytime a crime occurs against a foreigner, the foreigner pays and the Dominican walks.

Sad but this is what happens when the under educated masses lay down
and let a bunch of corrupt muppets govern this country.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sad but this is what happens when the under educated masses lay down
and let a bunch of corrupt muppets govern this country.

You probably know, and I know good honest Dominicans and some trustworthy (yes) lawyers and even expats' children born and raised here, now working in the system. When will the good finally flush the corrupt ? And is that why the majority of voters are left poorly educated so they can vote for the party of the white or purple that makes the most empty promises over mobile loudspeakers or has the most billboards and posters or has the catchiest nickname like: Junior, Pinchon, Nena, Pao, or El Toto ?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I personally have known at least 6 gringos that have been killed here and not 1 Dominican has ben put in jail, but when a Dominican of some importance gets killed they find the killers in one day.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
there wasn't as much violent crimes back then but they did happen , and that's a bunch of bull about not having to lock your doors, you must have been on a different island..

Not having to lock your doors is true. There was also no need for iron bars. And hey, my grandma, for instance, always tried to have cold water for "caminantes", which was a term she used for strangers. If a stranger came over looking for help, she'd let them in to use the phone or bathroom, sometimes they'd end up staying for coffee or lunch.
Now things are like " Sorry, phone doesn't work and there's a problem with the bathroom."

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Not really a matter of being a gringo or not , as this happens to locals as well. Often, for the police and prosecution the main goal is to catch the bad guys, so they rush it to get the pressure of their backs.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I will walk on the POP Malecon anytime during the day or night before I walk alone in Miami ,Hialeah or South Chicago

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not really a matter of being a gringo or not , as this happens to locals as well. Often, for the police and prosecution the main goal is to catch the bad guys, so they rush it to get the pressure of their backs.

Rush? Hardly. As I have stated many times before on this forum. The police know exactly
who is doing what in these streets down here. Robbery, theft and minor assaults are tolerated
by the PN until one of the criminals shoots, kills or seriously injures one of their victims.
Then and only then do the PN get off their underpaid *sses and do something about it.

Doesn't anyone ever question how the police always seem to catch their suspect within just
a few hours of the crime committed???

Last edited:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Rush? Hardly. As I have stated many times before on this forum. The police know exactly
who is doing what in these streets down here. Robbery, theft and minor assaults are tolerated
by the PN until one of the criminals shoots, kills or seriously injures one of their victims.
Then and only then do the PN get off their underpaid *sses and do something about it.

Doesn't anyone ever question how the police always seem to catch their suspect within just
a few hours of the crime committed???

When I say rush I'm talking about presenting someone in court without proper preparation, knowing that this person might walk. This happens often!

Status
Not open for further replies.