german tourist murdered on the malecon in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
You guys must admit that you love when stuff like this happen, because you have an excuse to carry out your hate festival!!

Some of the criticisms are true, but others do not have constructive intentions. Just look how somebody in the past pages of this thread was already celebrating because this news made it to NYTimes, because you know, f*ck DR tourism, f*ck our main source of income. You guys don't even care to hide your real feelings anymore.

I believe in karma, the evil that you wish to others, will be returned to you multiplied.

Give me any reason to believe that the people who are saying on the thread....

*Crime happens everywhere
*I don't see the stats on the DR (while the stats are plain as day right in front of them)
*Well DR is not in the top 25 so we can relax
*It was obviously the victims fault, (he fought back, she went out too late, in the wrong area, wrong friends)

For the people saying that, now I am going to go out on a limb here ..... I say, the IF they do succeed in silencing the people talking about the issue on the thread, that once everything is quiet .....

THEY WILL DO NOTHING TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM, AND LET'S BE CLEAR HERE, THERE IS A PROBLEM!

I mean I'd imagine a group concerned with tourism would let it go quiet and then say "we have to fix this problem" (crime). Instead I get the idea that the problem is the noisy people that speak out.

Now granted, there are

*people talking here that have left the DR.
*people who only vacation.
*people who live there.
*people who plan to live there.

Some of the people who are complaining the loudest are the ones living in DR and have seen the change year over year. The real question is......

At what point will the powers that be see the crime is the problem and not the news of the crime?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
(...) after shooting he was taken to the hospital on the back on the pickup (which can be seen in DdR video). (..)
just yesterday i read an article that local ambulance service in POP , rescate ambar, is asking danilo for two new ambulances to improve their services (...)
there should also be an ambulance in bomberos...

the vice minister of tourism announced that POP will receive an ambulance for an exclusive use of tourist emergencies: http://notiplata.com/5393-2/
it will be under care of CESTUR.
no word about an ambulance for general use.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Please tell me now you can motivate a policeman to do his or her work with enthusiasm for just 10,000 pesos a month?

This is the root cause of the matter. The government don't value the police force, if they did, they would pay them more. The public don't value the police force. Most see them as a non-entity. The majority of people I know would not even bother going to the police to report a crime. And finally, the police themselves do not have any self value. Many of them have to resort to additional ways to make ends meet, and as they are at the coal face of crime, it's easier for them to take a little coal home with them every now and then.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
the vice minister of tourism announced that POP will receive an ambulance for an exclusive use of tourist emergencies: http://notiplata.com/5393-2/
it will be under care of CESTUR.
no word about an ambulance for general use.

I thinks its more they are embarrassed that he was put in a pickup truck . emergency services are pitiful here. This latest happened right down from the fire station. should have trained paramedics there but I bet they do not.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Based on my conversations with other US tourists, the DR already has a pretty bad reputation. Most other US tourists I've met that know anything about the DR believe that you go to Punta Cana and stay inside a resort 24 hours a day or skip the DR altogether.
Part of that comes from fear-mongering from the AI operators. Partly they do not want to be bothered with helping to sort out any scrapes visitors might get into outside their resorts (which is fair enough) but mainly they want all expenditure to go into their own pockets. They know that when tourists venture out into the real DR they can buy meals, drinks, clothes, souvenirs, or arrange their own day outings, at half the price.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I grew up in Detroit....and have lived to talk about it....Crime is reported here very graphically. I do not think the crime rate
ratio to population even comes close to present day Detroit! We have been her 4 years now, and yes, best to have caution on your side and eyes wide open however, when people are on vacation these seem to forget that the rest of the world continues on.

I feel the same way. I?ve been living here for almost 4 years now and compared to where I from (upper 9th ward of New Orleans) crime here is not that bad. A little street smarts and a lot of common sense is absolutely necessary when traveling in third world countries day or night.

Dopeycanuck

Feb 15, 2016
it depends. I'm spending the last 3 years of my live on the malecon and a lot of my customers also. and me amd my customers never been robbed. but we are on the other side of the malecon.
this side (side of tamtam, barcos, etc) had a lot of troubles. the side of long beach (where I am) doesn't have that the last few months/years. I don't know why

Well Mik you know crimes have been committed nearby and as a result of visiting bars on the Malecon.
Nevertheless it's generally pretty safe but this robbery/murder in broad daylight is over the top.
Scapegoating and changing a few police officials is not going to change much but the Malecon should be an absolute
crime free zone. Otherwise tourists and even expats will stop going.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DR1 News:
More arrests for German tourist murder
The National Police has arrested two people in connection with the killing of a German tourist in Puerto Plata last Thursday, 11 February 2016.
According to National Police spokesman Maximo Baez Aybar, the arrests took place after a shootout with one of the suspects, Dauris Manuel Felipe (Daga) who managed to get away.
Baez Aybar, speaking on "El Gobierno de la Manana" radio program yesterday, Monday 15 February 2016, did not reveal the identities of those under arrest but only said that they had been arrested after evidence linking them to the crime was discovered at the scene, including clothes and other belongings.
The German tourist, 76-year old Ernst Gunter Haun was killed when he was walking on the Malecon in Puerto Plata along with his 70-year old wife Marion Rossi Haun, who is also German.
He was being robbed of a gold chain and he resisted and was shot in the chest and the robbers fled.
A police patrol subsequently killed 28-year old Kelvin Brito Lopez (Calvin Kleiny) who is alleged to have been one of the killers.
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...r-asesinato-de-turista-aleman-en-puerto-plata

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
el caribe and city santiago gave "body count" yesterday of foreigners killed on the north coast lately.
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/02/16/violencia-cobra-vida-extranjeros
http://www.citysantiago.com/2016/02/16/inseguridad-llevado-ocho-extranjeros-costa-norte#.VsMtY_krLcc

interestingly they do not include canadian woman killed in cabrera but they mention an italian guy killed in sosua in october. in happened in october 2012 and the man was american. dominican journalism...

Perhaps they were only referring to tourists and not residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.