Germans moving away

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I have a friend in Boca Chica (Luxenburger) who always fill me in on crimes against tourist or expats. Invariably most of these are against Germans. As a matter of fact, I prefer resort and places where Germans hang out, like Playa Bonita de Las Terrenas. Germans seem so much well behaved than other nationalities. So I wonder why are Germans more the target of crimes than other nationalities? Anybody suggest a reason?

Mirador

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Mirador said:
Germans seem so much well behaved than other nationalities.

Mirador - that's a pretty big generalization!!

Jan H and Nal)whs - thanks for your comments on why fleeing to the DR would be a good idea. I definitely agree with the points you have made and can now understand the thought process.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
gerd said:
I guess the rise in violent crimes is a factor for many to leave.
Buyers from the US probably have no idea about whats going on, or may be more accustomed to deal with it.

Please elaborate?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:
In all seriousness, I think that the North Coast had a big percentage of LOW END Germans living here and they are leaving because it is too expensive for them now. There are still a lot of Germans here on the upper end of the food chain who have no plans on leaving. I don't know where they are going to but the ones I have bought property from are in Germany. There have been a few Germans fleeing because Interpol was on their asses also. Scott

I think you have hit the nail on the head, plus they have maybe seen the opportunity to get a good price on their property.

Let's not make this thread about us and them. Scum comes in all shapes, sizes and nationalities.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Robert said:
Please elaborate?

Elaborate why americans are more used to live with violent crimes?
In my younger days I was travelling a lot, and when the travellers sat together in youth hostels or similar places, it used to be the americans asking questions like: Is this a save area? Can you walk here at night? Sth like this would never have come to the mind of a european traveller, simply because there where no good or bad areas in our hometowns, or whatever. At least at that time.

Or another example: Simply walking away from Ace Music in North Miami (which seemed like a normal area to me) the salesperson advised me not to walk around here (too dangerous) and take definitely a taxi, not the bus to the airport if I could somehow afford it. Even at the bus stop, people told me I should better take a cab. Not because I was too dumb to find the J bus, but because it would be too dangerous.
Sth like this is unthinkable in Germany.

A lot of germans like myself refuse to have steelbars in front of their doors and windows first, because they consider them ugly, but change their minds after the first or second situation.
After having a burglar 4 weeks ago, probably the same guy came back last Sunday night through the open window in my back while I was still awake, busy staring at the PC screen(probably reading DR1 :cheeky: ) The guy took a couple of hundred pesos out of my wallet and must have seen me then. When I noticed some noises in the kitchen and went to see what was going on, he came out with one of our best knives. Thanks to a barstool that stood there, I could keep him at a save distance until he disappeared through the window again. I leave it to your imagination, what the guy was up to and why he went to look for that knive when he saw me there, instead of just leave unnoticed. We live not in a remote area, but in the center of Sosua, right behind Rockys, on the third floor.
We have huge windows. Need I put steelbars there to be able to keep the windows open at night, while I'm awake? Need I get a "Licence to kill" and carry a gun at all times at home?
Need I live in a place where this is necessary? Keeps me thinking, but still I'm not willing to leave.

Americans are simply more used to live with guns, steel bars and security personal.
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone with this statement.

Let's hope you didn't expect me to elaborate on "...the rise of crime..." did you? :cheeky:

pati

Feb 3, 2004
gerd said:
Americans are simply more used to live with guns, steel bars and security personal.

Let's hope you didn't expect me to elaborate on "...the rise of crime..." did you? :cheeky:

I'm sorry but I have to disgree with that statement. The area that you were referring to in Miami was probably a bad neighborhood. That certainly doesn't represent the lives of all Americans. If you're in a ghetto (no matter what country you're in) you have to be more concerned about your personal safety. I live in a middle class neighborhood. No one on my block has bars on their windows because if they did I wouldn't be living in there. The areas where people do have bars on their windows are populated by lower income residents. I have no problems with leaving my windows ajar when I'm home or even when I'm at work. I have left my cell phone on the console of my car over night on many occasions and it was still there in the morning. I think if we as Americans were as accustomed to crime as you make it sound we would have the same nonchalant attitude that people in DR have and there would be no need to ask which areas are safe.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Baby Boomers

I agree with the theory that whoever owned property are 'moving' because someone hit their price-point.

I can remark on the fact that everyone (baby boomer) that I speak with about retirement wants more bang for their buck. and Florida/Arizona are not an option.

Now, I have not spoken to all 48 million of us, but I can say in the next 4 to 10 years I believe the Domincan Republic will definetly be on the retirement list.

I also do not believe that many Americans are looking for a safe haven, just a place to relax.

Gary

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
So ,after we went from picking on different nationalities back to the question, you guys think the answer is: Only the Germans with less money or Interpol on their butt leaving the DR????
And by the way: Americans buying all over the map property right now. Many american cashing out on their home equity and just trying to find less expansive places. Those americans are mostly middles class people looking for a cheap place to retire.

By the way: I don't aggree with saying that most american are uneducated and smelly. In fact I found it to be true that american have the highest standard of hygiene. And we have stupid people from every nationality. Just read some of the postings and it'll proof my case.
But I also have to say that most of the people here seem very nice and liberal in their opinion.

And yes, I was born and raised in Germany but live right now in the US (Florida) and soon DR.

:) Markus

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Coming and Going

I have only lived here for eight years but I have seen many people arrive and leave again.
There are many reasons for this fluctuation which seems to affect all nationalities.
- Expectations of income opportunities are often much too high.
- Partnerships and marriages break up easily here.
- Cost of living is underestimated.
- The problems of everyday life in a third world country cannot be coped with.
- Crime scares people away.
- Alcoholism and drugs take their toll.

m'frog
www.samanave.com

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Who are you kidding?

gerd said:
Elaborate why americans are more used to live with violent crimes?
In my younger days I was travelling a lot, and when the travellers sat together in youth hostels or similar places, it used to be the americans asking questions like: Is this a save area? Can you walk here at night? Sth like this would never have come to the mind of a european traveller, simply because there where no good or bad areas in our hometowns, or whatever. At least at that time.

Or another example: Simply walking away from Ace Music in North Miami (which seemed like a normal area to me) the salesperson advised me not to walk around here (too dangerous) and take definitely a taxi, not the bus to the airport if I could somehow afford it. Even at the bus stop, people told me I should better take a cab. Not because I was too dumb to find the J bus, but because it would be too dangerous.
Sth like this is unthinkable in Germany.

A lot of germans like myself refuse to have steelbars in front of their doors and windows first, because they consider them ugly, but change their minds after the first or second situation.
After having a burglar 4 weeks ago, probably the same guy came back last Sunday night through the open window in my back while I was still awake, busy staring at the PC screen(probably reading DR1 :cheeky: ) The guy took a couple of hundred pesos out of my wallet and must have seen me then. When I noticed some noises in the kitchen and went to see what was going on, he came out with one of our best knives. Thanks to a barstool that stood there, I could keep him at a save distance until he disappeared through the window again. I leave it to your imagination, what the guy was up to and why he went to look for that knive when he saw me there, instead of just leave unnoticed. We live not in a remote area, but in the center of Sosua, right behind Rockys, on the third floor.
We have huge windows. Need I put steelbars there to be able to keep the windows open at night, while I'm awake? Need I get a "Licence to kill" and carry a gun at all times at home?
Need I live in a place where this is necessary? Keeps me thinking, but still I'm not willing to leave.

I have been in parts of Berlin, Hamburg, Dresden and Hanover that should only be explored by Special Forces. Damm dangerous!!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
From my understanding, the crime problem has only been around for about a decade or so in Europe. Comparing that to the crime rate in the U.S. which has been around since the 1960s would probably see why the German guy posted with the notion of America being much more dangerous than Germany.

Speaking of crime, I remember one time I went to Baltimore (I was just vacationing in the Eastern U.S., spent about 3 weeks driving from Boston to Orlando- nice drive but too long) and I remember being in the Baltimore Dock or Bay area. Wow, that is a very very nice and safe area. Super clean, ultra modern, what people expect American cities to be like. However, I made the scary decision to explore an area adjacent to this jewel of Baltimore. My God almighty! The buildings looked as if they had been the sight of a war! The people in the streets were very scared of their sorroundings (most were hurrying to get from one place to another), of course I was scared to the bone that I went back to the "nice" part. Then I learned that Baltimore has one of the highest murder rate in the country! Of course, I have seen such thing in other American cities like Philadelphia, New York, Boston, etc., but I'm sure that it's not unique to America. I remember being in Napoli, Italy with a friend of mine and we went into a rundown part of the city. First of all, the streets are soo narrow and the buildings are so grimmy (in that part of town) with lots of clothes hanging, that that view by itself gave me the creeps. I was not aware of any crimes happening there (there probably were some). I just felt like sharing these two things that I have seen on both side of the pond, but for some reason America's ghettos seem more dangerous than any European one. I don't really know why, maybe it's just me! who knows?!

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Well I was born and raised in Baltimore, MD and it is a great city. Not as dirty as the DR. I also lived in L. A. That is Los Angeles California for 4 years where I had my car stereo stolen 4 times, I was in a bank when it was robbed and the Locals stole everything in the city and burned down 5,000 buildings in 93 and guess what, they were all commited by Latinos. And if anyone thinks that L A is only mexicans you have never been there. Latinos from every country.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Why Germans Leave

Perhaps we should ask them?

Failing that, the story that I was told is this: The Euro came into being and many Germans (much like anyone else obviously would) had stashed millions of Marks "under the matress" to avoid sky-high tax. Suddenly they had to do something with the money before it turned to toilet paper, and the obvious choice was to buy a large asset somewhere as far away from Germany as possible so the tax man wouldn't come looking. Then, a few years later when the coast was clear it could be sold (hopefully for a profit) and the tax man would be none the wiser.

- Problem is the German tax man is desperate for money and has already started sniffing around. By all accounts they are gathering lists of all German owned property throughout the world and asking quite awkward questions. (Time to run)?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, when it comes to pointing fingers every outsider is the target...

I'm not saying that the crimes you mentioned were not commited by Hispanics (I have the word Latino), because they probably were. However, in the 1960s Los Angeles also burned, but that time it was at the hands of the American born and grown blacks. And Oklahoma became a terrorist target at the hands of an American. The snippers shooting in Washington area and in Ohio were handle and created by American citizens. I'm not trying to say that foreigners are not responsible for Crime hikes in the U.S., I'm sure many are, but they are not the only one. However, I do wonder why there is so much inequality in the U.S., considering that poverty is the reason for many crimes in the U.S. and all the money that floats around in that country. I believe that the U.S. has the widest gap between rich and poor of all the industrialized countries. Can you elaborate on this, this is something I've been trying to figure out? Could race be a factor here? By the way, I'm not contesting you in any way, just trying to understand the U.S. a bit better.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Archived Issue - Fall 2002

REVIEW
Guns in the U.S. and U.K.
By Jeremy Rabkin

Copyrighted - Removed!

Last edited by a moderator:

marymack

Mar 29, 2004
In America, the key to the "good life,' is the access to good education. If you are fortunate to live in an area where the school systems excels, then your child has an above average chance of going to college, which opens the door to futher economic opportunities. It is not unusal for parents to determine where they will live base on the quality of the education their children will receive.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anymore Off Topic posts and the thread will be closed. Some of you need to think very carefully before you post...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I am really only posting to have my championship show.

There was a real low end German population on the North Coast which I believe moved on or back to Germany. I don't know if they bought property to avoid the taxman or jail or what but I do know that I bought a lot of property from them.