getting driver license in DR

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
Am I missing something ? I thought you had to go to Banco Reservas to pay a Fee before you can start the License application process ?

Reactions: CDNBear

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've been told USA driver's license is ok
while in the county on 30 day tourist stamp, day 31 no longer valid because technically in the county illegally. Please feel free to correct me if this information is wrong.
You are an illegal alien after 30 days on a tourist card, but a foreign driver's license is valid for up to 90 days. Why this unusual situation? Different laws in different departments of the government.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the process of such "lawyer" is easy to explain.
he know's or has a compu savy son/niece etc comfy to use photoshop.
and he has or know's somebody who has a simple machine printing plastic cards(like CC's, DL's, Cedulas, Carnets etc etc).
you pay him some $$$ and he give's you a 5 cents worth plastic and that's it.
done deal.
I drove here for years on a DR license that was never entered in the system. Used it in the US to rent cars. So yes, the lawyer could do the same. Fortunately, I never had an accident. I did however have a valid cedula the entire time.

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
The number under you picture on your dr driving licence is the same as your cedula. Will your no flake lawyer create one for you?
It will be a false driving licence. They need a cedula number to put it in the system. You also need a cedula number to check if you do not have any unpaid tickets..........

Nowadays with all this stuff computerized very difficult to falsify and even if it was it will be pick up quickly.
I've seen some contracts put "p" followed by my passport number in the cedula field. perhaps they would do this?

Reactions: MikeFisher

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Reactions: csteinwand

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
The number under you picture on your dr driving licence is the same as your cedula. Will your no flake lawyer create one for you?
It will be a false driving licence. They need a cedula number to put it in the system. You also need a cedula number to check if you do not have any unpaid tickets..........

Nowadays with all this stuff computerized very difficult to falsify and even if it was it will be pick up quickly.
Umm. My passport is registered with tax department and I have a tax number. My bank accounts are registered under a passport. My company is registered with a passport. My FEDELUCD carnet has a passport. Using your logic I shouldnt be able to that without a cedula. I think you shot your load too early to say it can only be done with a cedula.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Umm. My passport is registered with tax department and I have a tax number. My bank accounts are registered under a passport. My company is registered with a passport. My FEDELUCD carnet has a passport. Using your logic I shouldnt be able to that without a cedula. I think you shot your load too early to say it can only be done with a cedula.
None of the above is about a DR driver's license so it is not relevant in this thread.

So you have a DR driving license with your passport number on it?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
slooow.
there isa big difference between your mentioned things(like bank account etc etc) and a DL.
to obtain those things it is not required to be a Resident of DR, foreigners can do all that without Residency.
but a DR Driver's License is solely for DR Citizens and DR Residents.
the only exception is temporary DR DL's for specific groups of people, like people on a timely limited working/study visa and such,
they do not have to be come a Resident but still can obtain the permit to drive in DR for the time of their specific visa allowance.
but in general, to obtain a DR DL, you have to be a Citizen or a Resident of the DR.

Last edited:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Please feel free to visit Intrant's (the authority issuing DLs) website:

Have to agree with others above, and from my experience, I have opened bank accounts with passport...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Please feel free to visit Intrant's (the authority issuing DLs) website:

Have to agree with others above, and from my experience, I have opened bank accounts with passport...
yes, it show's the requirements clear and simple.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
slooow.
there isa big difference between your mentioned things(like bank account etc etc) and a DL.
to obtain those things it is not required to be a Resident of DR, foreigners can do all that without Residency.
but a DR Driver's License is solely for DR Citizens and DR Residents.
the only exception is temporary DR DL's for specific groups of people, like people on a timely limited working/study visa and such,
they do not have to be come a Resident but still can obtain the permit to drive in DR for the time of their specific visa allowance.
but in general, to obtain a DR DL, you have to be a Citizen or a Resident of the DR.
OOPS error wanted to press the like button and now can not cancel post.

I did the swap of my canadian license and I am glad i did that, they have changed the process a bit and it was more difficult for my wife to do it the normal way. If you don't read spanish no way will you pass the new learners test. It's not the videos any more it's questions with multiple choice answers and you need to be able to read Spanish. I don't know how doms or haitians who can't read will be able to do it.
The easiest part was the actual drivers test, my wife was done within 15 min and came back with her license, that was yesterday. Here 8 years and she never had a licence and the only reason she is getting one now is to have one for when we go back to canada so she can drive there for a few months. lol. Will def suck for the gringos who can't speak Spanish who feel they have to have a license...I still say it doesn't matter, never affected us. Just get good insurance peeps.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Pete & Repete

thank you people for agreeing.... the cartoon computer test is a snap
As long as you have a rudimentary understanding of Spanish and on-screen diagrams.

The biggest obstacle and it is not much is the Good Conduct letter. Never heard of someone being denied that letter.

Actually residency is the bigger obstacle. You need a cedula. Maybe others are able to get a license without a cedula but if you're not going to pursue that then why a DL?

Driving test was once around the block in a clown car with no room for an adult man's legs.

Easy Peazy