getting to Mexico

karina

Nov 5, 2003
Does anyone have any advice for the best and cheapest way to get to Mexico from the Dr? Flight out of POP, STI or SDQ into Mexico City, or Oaxaca, for the end of May. I have looked at AA through Miami, but it costs around 700$, does this make sense??

thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Copa to Mexico City from SDQ (via Panama) is the other option. The connection is fairly swift and service is OK, or at least I was lucky. Cost was US$469 excluding taxes.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
karina said:
Does anyone have any advice for the best and cheapest way to get to Mexico from the Dr? Flight out of POP, STI or SDQ into Mexico City, or Oaxaca, for the end of May. I have looked at AA through Miami, but it costs around 700$, does this make sense??

thanks

The cost of tickets never really makes sense but that seems typical. Maybe if you can risk the planes check Cubana so go SDQ-HAV- MEX.

Lots of Havana ex-pats used to run on a Cubana or charter flight to renew their tourist cards, to Cancun I think, and didn't even leave the plane - MEX migracion comes aboard, stamps them in and out for $20 and the plane goes back so you could always jump off then :)

Or Copa as pointed out via PTY. Other than that AA to MIA and the world is open from there.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Dom Rep. - Mexico

I do this route 5 times a year. The best way is to fly from Dom. Rep to Miami and take the AA2177 flight to Mexico City. Same way back.

Remember in country flights in Mexico will cost you an arm and a leg. So it is cheaper to land as close to intended final destination from an international destination.

Anymore information required about inland travel tips in Mexico let me know. I live in Leon.

Good travels

malagajohnbhoy

Aug 21, 2003
The Copa route via Panama is slightly cheaper than the AA route - check if COPA is codesharing with Mexicana on this route and you may get a better deal to your final destination - probably best to call the Mexicana offices in SDQ.

I flew with Copa last month and service with them is far better than AA - also connecting in panama is much easier than in Miami

xxeonzz

May 30, 2004
Well...

I think COPA (thru Panama) may be your best option.
My cousin goes thru there to get from the DR to Mexico City. I think she also used to take a flight from Cancun to Santo Domingo but I'm not sure if that route still exists. There is also the possibility of going thru Caracas or Miami, but its usually longer and more expensive. Also, Miami requires a visa.