Good life in the DR??

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As some people have mentioned The DR is not for everyone. You could have a great life down there or just absolutely hate it. Just understand that The DR is not paradise per se (it can be, but so can be Alaska, or even Siberia for that matter. It all depends on what YOU want and whether you find it there).

Just go there with an open mind, knowing that The DR is not a developed country and as such you'll probably be frustrated at times with the way things are done, you'll probably miss some of the comforts of home (i.e. 24X7 power), etc. Be careful whom you associate with until you learn the ropes. There's a ton of good information in the archives of this forum on almost any topic with regards to moving and living down there.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yes, of course.
And if you get murdered certain people always say, that it could have happened everywhere. :tired:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/101971-expat-woman-murdered-gasper-hernandez-area.html

donP

I just watched the Chicago evening news - Crikey!
The D.R. seems a much safer place than Chicago, if that is any help.

The life expectancy here is way lower than in the US.
My unscientific theory is that this is not due to bad health care, lousy nutrition, poverty or high infant mortality - it is due to stupidity.
Especially by young men on motorbikes.
So as long as you manage not to get taken out by the insane Dominican driving you should be fine here.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I just watched the Chicago evening news - Crikey!
The D.R. seems a much safer place than Chicago, if that is any help.

The life expectancy here is way lower than in the US.
My unscientific theory is that this is not due to bad health care, lousy nutrition, poverty or high infant mortality - it is due to stupidity.
Especially by young men on motorbikes.
So as long as you manage not to get taken out by the insane Dominican driving you should be fine here.

Most of the reported deaths over Samana Santa in 2009 were due to excessive alcohol on motoconchos..... that is so scary!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Safer?

The D.R. seems a much safer place than Chicago

It only seems so. :tired:

The Chicago homicide rate (although high in the seventies and early nineties) for 2007 was 15.6 (per 100,000 inhabitants).

This country's violent death rate given by the government (!) hovers around 24 (incl. police actions) and approx. 20 (w/o police involvment).

[I should like to know the rates for Santo Domingo and Santiago... :tired: ]

In the DR...
- violent deaths almost doubled since 1999;
- homicide rates are about 13 times higher than in Canada and approx. 4 times higher than in the US.

donP

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
It is usually tempting fate to say all is going well - but here goes. We love it here and have done since we first came in 2002.

We started off by being Winter residents in an apartment we owned, decided we liked the place and the people so much we would make Sosua our main home. We looked at buying a house but in the end decided to have one built (to accommodate our needs as we grew older). We have kept a small place in London so we can always go home in a real emergency.

We adopted a couple of homeless dogs and do some work for local charities, in our case Sosua Kids and more recently Hati Camp Sosua. It is very rare we don't see someone to have a chat to, or a beer with, when we go into town. It really is a very nice place to live, the weather and the outdoor aspect of the bars and restaurants makes living easy.

It is nice not to have surveillance cameras following you where ever you go, and whilst we don't smoke ourselves I believe other people should have the freedom to do so if they wish.

We are cautious, we live in a gated community with excellent security and have 24 hour power (more or less). We both drive, it did feel a bit like a computer game at first but you do get used to it.

We're not out late that much, and we're never (well - rarely ever) in town drunk at night. Do we miss anything? Yes, huge bookshops, the theatre and opera; but the Book Nook is growing all the time, and Bill gets us (and 3/4 of Sosua) DVDs, plus we return "home" once a year to see friends and relatives and stock up on essentials.

Move here and try it, just don't burn all your boats, give yourself an avenue to leave if it doesn't work out for you, but there's no reason to think it won't.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
By not forgetting the essentials, your meaning the likes of Colemans English Mustard, dry or ready mixed, Bovril and for us from the colder sector in the North, Square Slice beef sausages and Plain Bread !!!!. You can forget the potato scones, they dont travel well at all, and they are best ready made off the griddle.............

It would be nice to find some smoked bacon which isn't pre packed and 90% fat if anyone has any ideas please ???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It only seems so. :tired:

The Chicago homicide rate (although high in the seventies and early nineties) for 2007 was 15.6 (per 100,000 inhabitants).

This country's violent death rate given by the government (!) hovers around 24 (incl. police actions) and approx. 20 (w/o police involvment).

[I should like to know the rates for Santo Domingo and Santiago... :tired: ]

In the DR...
- violent deaths almost doubled since 1999;
- homicide rates are about 13 times higher than in Canada and approx. 4 times higher than in the US.

donP

Came across this slide show just now - makes me feel much better about DR after reading the statistics. I was surprised to see that neither NY or NJ made the top 15 - but that Florida and Arizona [which retirees flock to] did.

Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010 | 15 Most Dangerous U.S. States | Comcast.net

I, too, would like to see stats for SD and Santiago - but one could make the argument that you could compare DR statistics to a particular/similar size US state stats.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Came across this slide show just now - makes me feel much better about DR after reading the statistics. I was surprised to see that neither NY or NJ made the top 15 - but that Florida and Arizona [which retirees flock to] did.

Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010 | 15 Most Dangerous U.S. States | Comcast.net

I, too, would like to see stats for SD and Santiago - but one could make the argument that you could compare DR statistics to a particular/similar size US state stats.

AE
Too bad the stats don't break down ~where~ in a state and city is dangerous...

Because Florida is "dangerous" dosn't mean where I spent my time in particular parts of the Tampa Bay area are dangerous. I simply avoided questionable areas.

The same can be done here in the DR. But one must use the same degree of common sense and caution as at home. But, for some reason, many leave both at home...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Apples and Pears

__ that you could compare DR statistics to a particular/similar size US state stats.

You can and could.
There is not much sense in doing so, though.

BTW, crime statistics should be related to a number of inhabitants not just a state name...

donP

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
It is usually tempting fate to say all is going well - but here goes. We love it here and have done since we first came in 2002.

We started off by being Winter residents in an apartment we owned, decided we liked the place and the people so much we would make Sosua our main home. We looked at buying a house but in the end decided to have one built (to accommodate our needs as we grew older). We have kept a small place in London so we can always go home in a real emergency.

We adopted a couple of homeless dogs and do some work for local charities, in our case Sosua Kids and more recently Hati Camp Sosua. It is very rare we don't see someone to have a chat to, or a beer with, when we go into town. It really is a very nice place to live, the weather and the outdoor aspect of the bars and restaurants makes living easy.

It is nice not to have surveillance cameras following you where ever you go, and whilst we don't smoke ourselves I believe other people should have the freedom to do so if they wish.

We are cautious, we live in a gated community with excellent security and have 24 hour power (more or less). We both drive, it did feel a bit like a computer game at first but you do get used to it.

We're not out late that much, and we're never (well - rarely ever) in town drunk at night. Do we miss anything? Yes, huge bookshops, the theatre and opera; but the Book Nook is growing all the time, and Bill gets us (and 3/4 of Sosua) DVDs, plus we return "home" once a year to see friends and relatives and stock up on essentials.

Move here and try it, just don't burn all your boats, give yourself an avenue to leave if it doesn't work out for you, but there's no reason to think it won't.

Thanks for a very encouraging post. We're really looking forward to our move.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

AE

Here's a post from a few years back about the violence in the DR:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/56443-violent-crimes-dr-yes-no.html

If you look under "chip00" posts you'll find some links to the Dr gov't that can show violent crime per region.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think its too soon to be declaring yourself "happy" here. wait till you live here 24/7 for some time (example: 2 yrs), then we will have another discussion with you. Like cobraboy says, watch who comes in contact with you and whom you want to associate with. May I ask, where you will be living? It its the north coast then be prepared for some serious expat soap opera Dramas. Everything you can imagine, people without real jobs and alcohol in blood, can invent and do, will happen. You will notice expats who live outside of puta towns are far more happier and deal with a greater number of "decent + respected" folks (dominicans and foreigners included) than the many stray dogs of the resort areas. In the beginning, you will have your doors open to anyone who smiles at you, offers to give you healthy advices etc. Then wait and sit back; watch the same people in their daily lives and you will know (after some time) who is who in your area. So my advice is to stay away from people who want to become your friends from day one. Try to associate with folks who do not need your friendship. Its just a general rule of thumb.
I live in santiago and capital and I love it there. I would never imagine living in an expat community in sosua or cabarete. Just not my place. I like the beach but I will return the same day back home if I can avoid staying over night in those places.
Good luck in your new life.
AZB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I really hate to do this. But as a long time resident of the Capital, I have to admit that kind of like AZB, other than Samanta Santa I have never spent a night in any of the resort towns of the DR.

so I guess for once in my life I am agreeing with AZB, God I'm so ashamed

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I really hate to do this. But as a long time resident of the Capital, I have to admit that kind of like AZB, other than Samanta Santa I have never spent a night in any of the resort towns of the DR.

so I guess for once in my life I am agreeing with AZB, God I'm so ashamed

LOL but you live in the capital, this is why you understand the real life.