Got a Quote for a container shipment, need some advice...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No... the car is a crapshoot... they determine their own value and then deem the tax.... totally out of your control.
(BTW,, this is covered in detail numerous times here - you should search it to satisfy yourself.)

Residency declaration...... your shipper handles all this.... its in Spanish.

You really need to get advice from your shipper and ask your lawyer about this.

I am offering my advice but am not comfortable being "an oracle".... as w/ everything RD related... it may not be the same the second time !! :-((

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Your so true on that. Thanks a million for your help. A lawyer with aduanas experience in DR should offer advice services to Dominicans like us; they would make a fortune.

No... the car is a crapshoot... they determine their own value and then deem the tax.... totally out of your control.
(BTW,, this is covered in detail numerous times here - you should search it to satisfy yourself.)

Residency declaration...... your shipper handles all this.... its in Spanish.

You really need to get advice from your shipper and ask your lawyer about this.

I am offering my advice but am not comfortable being "an oracle".... as w/ everything RD related... it may not be the same the second time !! :-((

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Your shipper will be a huge help..... they took me to get my 'placa' = license plate.... total cradle to grave treatment.

Its not difficult....I needed a translator (Wendoline @ Hispaniola Freight).... but its time consuming.

Saves a lot, though..... my car savings was 70,000 pesos-- $2,000 at thye time (35drp/$)

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
When you say shipper do you mean cargo shipper or mudanza type? If you remember the one you used please let me know.
Would you recemmend I do this....

1) Rent the 40' container from the cargo place.
2) They will drop it off I my place for 2 hours.
3) Get some friends to help me load the stuff.
4) Ship it and contact Hispanola in DR. (Would they help with Aduanas?)

Your shipper will be a huge help..... they took me to get my 'placa' = license plate.... total cradle to grave treatment.

Its not difficult....I needed a translator (Wendoline @ Hispaniola Freight).... but its time consuming.

Saves a lot, though..... my car savings was 70,000 pesos-- $2,000 at thye time (35drp/$)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lisa Lisa Lisa..... who do you think is going to sedn you this container..... the cargo company

Look above.... Wendoline at Hispaniola freight in SDQ
www.hispaniolafreight.com Call them first

The trip in that container is tough.... my other posts outlined what i did.....
Treated it like a house move..... packed some myself, gave the delicate/tough stuff to a moving company to pack.
Then let the experts pack the container... strap it in, etc.

Talk to a moving company.- local.- for help packing and loading
Crate important stuff, if need be.

they close and seal the door.... you mmeet them about a month later at the dock.. ... to witness the breaking of the seal and then claim/identify your goods.

Just do what the movers, cargo people tell you...... a blind person can do it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lots of great information! Thanks! Few questions?

1) How many times did you have to return to the dock in DR?

2) Would you mind sharing how much you paid Aduanas for your vehicle, and what year it was? I want to try to ship 2 vehicles, a 2004 and a 2003 but people tell me they don't accept vehicles older than 5 years.

3) When you shipped door-door did you use the same company here in USA, Hispaniola Freight? Or were they only used to ship the items from port to door? What company did you use here in the USA for the freight?

I think you will find that cars will not be allowed in.... ask Hispaniola Freight ( HSP )

PLUS, for any car coming in, you must have owned it for 1 year prior to importation.

This all takes planning.....
I bought my car in January 2008.....
it hit the dock 2 weeks after its 1 year anniversary

Smooth--- but no accident

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
So #1 starting point would be to contact them and discuss my situation :). Already emailed them; Ive got plenty of time but want to prepare, prepare, prepare, plus I don't want to get ripped off.

Approximately how much would you say you spent on shipping/mudanza? Everything including shipping container, paying aduanas (Excluding the car), paying Hispanola, packing company in the US.

Lisa Lisa Lisa..... who do you think is going to sedn you this container..... the cargo company

Look above.... Wendoline at Hispaniola freight in SDQ
www.hispaniolafreight.com Call them first

The trip in that container is tough.... my other posts outlined what i did.....
Treated it like a house move..... packed some myself, gave the delicate/tough stuff to a moving company to pack.
Then let the experts pack the container... strap it in, etc.

Talk to a moving company.- local.- for help packing and loading
Crate important stuff, if need be.

they close and seal the door.... you mmeet them about a month later at the dock.. ... to witness the breaking of the seal and then claim/identify your goods.

Just do what the movers, cargo people tell you...... a blind person can do it.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Lots of great information! Thanks! Few questions?

1) How many times did you have to return to the dock in DR?

2) Would you mind sharing how much you paid Aduanas for your vehicle, and what year it was? I want to try to ship 2 vehicles, a 2004 and a 2003 but people tell me they don't accept vehicles older than 5 years.

3) When you shipped door-door did you use the same company here in USA, Hispaniola Freight? Or were they only used to ship the items from port to door? What company did you use here in the USA for the freight?

Lisa, please research some more. I also heard/read that a car must not be more than 5 years old..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Prices vary... time of year port of embark/debark.... various ships w/ various loads....
Its all comtemporary.... meaning 'on the situation at hand'

Just call or e-mail a shipper... one stop shopping

Stupid question.... did you look at Hispaniola website ?
They cite their door to door service, their customs/brokerage service...... everything you are asking for.

Please look at it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I moved a container here I had door to door shipping including unpacking. I had to go to the port and deal with customs.
And the movers who delivered the container refused to the do the unpacking. If possible, do not pay in full until you have all of your goods as agreed to in your contract.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When I moved a container here I had door to door shipping including unpacking. I had to go to the port and deal with customs.
And the movers who delivered the container refused to the do the unpacking. If possible, do not pay in full until you have all of your goods as agreed to in your contract.

Same for me ... but they did the unpacking..... any mover/shipper is tricky.

Thats why an endorsement is important.
You need a reputable company.... they're not always the cheapest, but they're close.

Too much penny pinching can be a mistake in this game

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Would you happen to have their name? Just to make sure I avoid them lol.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is an old saying: "Don't believe anything you hear, and half of what you see"

I'd also like to throw Rosa del Monte into the discussion for your consideration...La Rosa Del Monte , and tell them JD sent you.

How about that....Rosa has a Philadelphia office !!

Thank you JDJones.... no more trips to the Bronx for me..... a local mudanza!
$25 a box 18x18x28h.... 5 boxes for $200..... great deal

It sounds good....

Thanks again (unfortunately, the PHL manhad never heard of you.... there went my discount !)

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks JD. Sent them an email; hopefully they are not like other companies who just ignore your emails.

There is an old saying: "Don't believe anything you hear, and half of what you see"

I'd also like to throw Rosa del Monte into the discussion for your consideration...La Rosa Del Monte , and tell them JD sent you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just fish around and get prices, Lisa..... that's what you need to do.

Every case is special..... none the same

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Man, just got a quote from a company for packing, shipping of 20ft cargo, door to door, even unpacking in Santiago for $7K. Sounds pretty high to me considering that a 40ft container is $3075.

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
How about that....Rosa has a Philadelphia office !!

Thank you JDJones.... no more trips to the Bronx for me..... a local mudanza!
$25 a box 18x18x28h.... 5 boxes for $200..... great deal

It sounds good....

Thanks again (unfortunately, the PHL manhad never heard of you.... there went my discount !)
William, have you tried to use them lately?
I live in Philadelphia too and when I went there last week, the ladies were saying that they have changed this and that and that it is bc DR changes things so often.....just wondering if the ladies didn't know what they were talking about and I should wait for the guys?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since this thread is 3 months old,and the "OP" has not posted any update in 3 months,I suggest the move didn't ever take place.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We looked into Rosa del Monte in Philly too.... everyone we talked to who had used them strongly encouraged us to stay away from them. One woman was still waiting for her shipment to arrive in DR three months after she gave it to them. Others swear their boxes were rifled through and things were missing.

I don't know if it's just the Philly office that has these issues.

We'll stick with Embarque Bella Vista, they pick up in South Jersey and everything arrives in 3-4 weeks.

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When I spoke to Rosa Del Monte... they said they waited until they had enough to fill a container before they could promise a shipping date.

Awilda ships from Corona NY/Bronx 2x a week and it arrives safely in 3 weeks - except longer in the Xmas rush - Nov/Dec

I'm not using Rosa........
Awilda has never let me down