Great New Rest. in Sosua and Caberete

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I usually get sick on trip like this, but so far, other than some minor joint pain, OK.

Midtown: Very Good. chicken with salad, beans and rice.

Bologna vs Playa Cerunia: I ordered the same at both places, grilled catch of the day with FF. Bologna didn´t want to grill so I had to get it fried. The fish tasted bland, as if it had been frozen, and over cooked. Playa Cerunia, on the other hand, prepared the grilled fish perfectly. The fish was fresh, not previously frozen, and seasoned nicely in a garlic sauce. Of the top restaurants that I have visited so far in Sosua, Playa Cerunia is the best.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I went to Jolly Rogers for lunch today around noon. The place was practically empty. I ordered a daily special and waited...and waited....

Some expats sat down at a nearby table, ordered beers, and became very noisy. I looked for the two waitresses and it appeared that the two were having lunch.

At this point, I left Jolly Rogers. Noisy group of expats and slow service were more than I could bear............

The Jolly Jumper is a dive filled with smoke and drunks. It's probably better that you didn't get to order food, this way you didn't get sick. The place is always empty now.

I am surprised to read that. I thought Jolly Rogers was one of the better expat hangout joints.

I don't frequent the north coast often but recently ate at Captain Baileys which has the same consistent good food for years. I had the fettucine bolognese which was great. I also had a burger from Taverna el conde which was way too salty for my taste plus it tasted like the usual no fat content Dominican beef.

For lunch i had the chicken from Pollo Ollie which has been the same good consistent chicken for as long as i can remember. Playa Alicia Beach Hotel is good for breakfast especially if staying there where breakfast is included.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
The Jolly is one of the most attended expat places. Seamonkey is so full of sour grapes. I attended both places the past 7 years and the Jolly Rogers owners were on scene at least twice as much as his place. I am not knocking his place but Jollys business model was better. Plus they did much more for the community. Like I said sour grapes.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
The Jolly is one of the most attended expat places. Seamonkey is so full of sour grapes. I attended both places the past 7 years and the Jolly Rogers owners were on scene at least twice as much as his place. I am not knocking his place but Jollys business model was better. Plus they did much more for the community. Like I said sour grapes.

Maybe? But I have to agree that the place is way too smoky! I can’t even walk by on the sidewalk without being concerned that my chances for lung cancer just increased substantially. 

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

Sour grapes for what? The place stinks of smoke, booze and a very shady clientele. It's a bar, not a restaurant which has lost most of the expat crowd. They did more for the community??? really??? some of us business owners choose to be low key and not boast of what we do or to which organization we give. I take the high road my friend. Stay classy.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I usually get sick on trip like this, but so far, other than some minor joint pain, OK.

Midtown: Very Good. chicken with salad, beans and rice.

Midtown is a good find. Large menu, quiet atmosphere and very good food. The owner is a friendly guy from Boston who works his butt off.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i posted this before, but here goes, again. when the Jolly Roger burned down, i took the trip to Sosua to make a donation to the rebuilding effort. i had never been inside the place, did not know the ownership, but out of a sense of empathy i decided to do my part. well, i wish i had not. they acted like they were doing me a favor taking my money, and i was personally embarrassed that i had set myself up for that situation by trying to help them. at this point, i cannot defend them against those who rant negatively against the place, because i am sure they deserve it.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Noble gesture indeed. Sadly enough, many within today's society do not value such intentions.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Noble gesture indeed. Sadly enough, many within today's society do not value such intentions.

i would not go as far as to even think of it as noble, Caonabo. it was just a case of doing for somebody that which i would hope for in a similar situation.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Not trying to be a peace keeper but..

Before the fire and renovation of Jolly Roger I was told by my friends to choose other places to eat than Jolly Roger so I never tried the food. I have heard that the food has improved. My friends and I always liked to have drinks and socialize at Jolly Roger though and I mostly/only heard good things about the owners.

I also enjoyed Seamonkey's previous restaurant at which I tried several dishes and found them good. The lunches especially were a good deal.

I will definitely try Midtown in the future.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
Midtown is a good find. Large menu, quiet atmosphere and very good food. The owner is a friendly guy from Boston who works his butt off.

I graduated from U of Mass at Lowell in the 70's and spent some time in the Boston area.