Growing chinola..

May 29, 2006
i have a chinola plantation with about 8 lines of plants. We had one first bumper harvest and are starting to get the second now. Did you know that you can artificially assist the cross polination by manually passing the pollen from one flower to another? Also the name Passion Fruit as it is known in English comes from the Spanish conquistadoeres who used the cross shaped leaves to expeess the passion of Christ. Try to select the larger fruit variety for seeds to make your venture more fruitful and spray regularly with 20-20-20 fertilizer thats usually bright blue.

I can just see mi esposa rolling her eyes at me when I use a paint brush to dab pollen from flower to flower. She gave me quite a look when she caught me pinching back the tendrils to get new shoots, but now we have over twenty new vines growing..

May 29, 2006
Mi esposa has gotten so excited by the growth in just a month, she now wants me to start them on her small solar. With all the rain, some lines have grown as much as four inches overnight and an inch a day is about the average on the mother vines. We have a forty foot path to the street and I've hung a wire about ten feet up above the clothes line. When the vine is more developed, I'll put in a second wire about thirteen feet up with guides for the vine to branch up on. The idea is to make a living volleyball net design. The fruit falls when ripe so harvesting won't be a problem. The pergola will be behind the house coming off the septic vent pipe on a line about ten feet up then going out on side lines..

Vines make for easy gardening bc you only need a couple sq ft of good soil. Now I'm thinking of vine tomatoes, cucumbers and other crops. Mi esposa's solar is 225 sq meters, which is more than enough for the two of us to work with..

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'll bring back osmocote fertilizer pellets from the states and source some 20-20-20 here. Also bringing back some rooting hormone so I can do auyama cuttings. It's making soil that is the tricky part.

Auyama will also bear more fruit if you manually pollinate. It has male and female flowers

I know. We had auyama growing wild all around where I used to live, and I was dead from trying to convince the staff to PLEASE let me cut the flowers and stuff them in the Italian way. They never went for it. Zut alors.

May 29, 2006
Mi esposa wrote me this:

la mata de chinola hasta a crecido

But I only know mata meaning to die, maybe? When I asked she was saying how much it's growing with all the rain.. What does "mata" mean in gardening?

May 29, 2006
I think we can plant a 5x11 grid on her solar spacing 2m x 3m. Soil isn't bad for the area with good drainage. I might put a cover crop down until the chinola takes off to reduce the weeds and fix some nitrogen.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
i have a chinola plantation with about 8 lines of plants. We had one first bumper harvest and are starting to get the second now. Did you know that you can artificially assist the cross polination by manually passing the pollen from one flower to another? Also the name Passion Fruit as it is known in English comes from the Spanish conquistadoeres who used the cross shaped leaves to expeess the passion of Christ. Try to select the larger fruit variety for seeds to make your venture more fruitful and spray regularly with 20-20-20 fertilizer thats usually bright blue.

Your excellent history lesson just destroyed on of my best reasons for offering vodka/chinola to prospective conquests.

Oh Well.Will have to go back to slaughtering rhinos now...

But:
I had lots of maracuja in Africa and found it tricky to grow where it really didn't want to and incredibly prolific in places you really didn't want it,like strangling mango trees,for example which it did with great vigour.

Fantastic flower which looks like something alien from a 'Avatar' and mouth-puckering sourness from the fruit.
In the right spot which it seems to choose itself I had lines of vines for metres long and loads of fruit but trying to plant it somewhere else it didn't want to be was unfruitful.(Geddit? Un-fruit-full?).

May 29, 2006
Back from the states and I brought a quarter mile of wire from Tractor Supply($15). I've put up about 250ft of wire around the house and the rest will go for the solar. I'm working on getting fifty cuttings rooted and I'll put down 10-20 pounds of pigeon peas as a cover crop until the vines crowd out the light. Lots to do now.. blossoms and fruits now on the vines around the house.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Peter, if you ever get to Abreu, one of our local viveros has a wonderful chinola 'patch'.

His name is Danny.....between Abreu and el Breton - before Cabrera

Vivero has 'Valee' in its name.... on the south side of the road on exiting Abreu.

May 29, 2006
The DR could easily double the cash value of its exported produce if it ever got off of the sugar economy.. A single passion fruit will sell for over $2 in the US and there's also the juice market. I think a dozen at IBERIA sell for around 60 pesos.