Guns/Firearms Control

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Give up a gun for an object ?

Well maybe if it was the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot game, a showroom new & fully equipped Prado

or if not one of those then ..............Big Papi's former chia, Maria Yeribell Martinez Garcia

14745678-7137557-image-a-18_1560436529899.jpg

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
But I suspect it could be a reason for revoking legal residency. I won't be searching the legal code, that is just a guess on my part.
Dear Mr. Know It All, if you are talking about the law, you should know that the law says that the citizenship of naturalized citizens can be revoked in the following cases: if you obtained it using false documents, if you changed your residence to another country during the first year after obtaining your citizenship, if you left DR for more than 10 years without coming back, and if in case of war you take the side of the enemy. Breaking the laws (including the firearms law) may lead to criminal prosecution, but can't result in revoking the citizenship.
Dear Mr. Newbe
If you would know anything about salutations in the RD you would know that "Dear Mr. Know it all"is a form of disrespect, rude and low class approach of communicating.
Welcome to the community and looking forward to all that you know. Have a very blessed day.

Reactions: zoomzx11

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's Papi's sister and the chica fighting

The good wife is in FLA caring for the children......
Sister took offense to the girlfriend coming to the hospital

Big trouble.......

BTW , the car he bought was NOT for this girlfriend..... another chica - former drug king's girl
Said drug king objected to the association w/ Papi - even AFTER King had dropped her
Hence the bullets flying.....

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
But I suspect it could be a reason for revoking legal residency. I won't be searching the legal code, that is just a guess on my part.
Dear Mr. Know It All, if you are talking about the law, you should know that the law says that the citizenship of naturalized citizens can be revoked in the following cases: if you obtained it using false documents, if you changed your residence to another country during the first year after obtaining your citizenship, if you left DR for more than 10 years without coming back, and if in case of war you take the side of the enemy. Breaking the laws (including the firearms law) may lead to criminal prosecution, but can't result in revoking the citizenship.

Not sure about residency but current constitution has no clauses in regards to revoking citizenship due to anything related to firearms mishaps. I'll not make any statements about being a know it all, that has already been defined; very well mind you, but the disdain towards extranjeros exhibited by he post Eugene replied to is very clear.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not sure about residency but current constitution has no clauses in regards to revoking citizenship due to anything related to firearms mishaps. I'll not make any statements about being a know it all, that has already been defined; very well mind you, but the disdain towards extranjeros exhibited by he post Eugene replied to is very clear.
Renewal of residency requires a clean police report. That is one way getting caught with an illegal firearm could catch up to you. Those records are all computerized if you ever purchased a small arm and did not transfer ownership to someone else, which legally has to be recorded properly.

Reactions: johne

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Renewal of residency requires a clean police report. That is one way getting caught with an illegal firearm could catch up to you.

Obviously having an illegal firearm will get one in lost of trouble, but didn't know the repecursions of it with the residency. Does that means that residency is automatically revoked if anything taints a clean Police Record?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look at it this way -

Your application includes a Buena Conducta....
What they do with that is up to them

My personal experience ?
I had to pay an old speeding ticket to 'clean' my conducta for my citizenship application.

A firearm offense might be viewed differently

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Obviously having an illegal firearm will get one in lost of trouble, but didn't know the repecursions of it with the residency. Does that means that residency is automatically revoked if anything taints a clean Police Record?
It may not be renewed depending upon the severity of the offense since you provide a copy of the police record for each renewal. Only the government would know what results in a rejection of renewal or if they would cancel a current residency.

Reactions: Radical

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It appears the reaction to a firearm offense would be stern
-----------------------

Quote from the Presidents speech just now:

No citizen, in any part of the world can be free if he does not feel safe. And insecurity affects thousands of Dominicans, to the point that 77% consider it their main concern.

The problem is the result of many factors and needs a comprehensive response, but I anticipate that we will not be able to reduce the number of homicides we suffer, without a significant disarmament of the population, which we must confront.

I want you to know that this president is determined to make the Dominican Republic a safe country.

And to achieve this, one of my main objectives is to get drugs off the streets of our country.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Dominican citizens as civilians cannot own rifles of any kind. Hence no registration for rifles.

A shotgun. up to 12 gauge. has a perpetual license for a civilan.

A handgun, up to 9 mm maximum. for civilians, has an annual license fee including an anti-doping test and a ballistics test each year.
The ballistics test for all handguns is done in Santo Domingo annually ( a totally RIDICULOUS requirement).

That is why they periodically have an amnesty for those not currently legal to come in and pay all the fees.
thanks for the info.

Reactions: zoomzx11

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It may not be renewed depending upon the severity of the offense since you provide a copy of the police record for each renewal. Only the government would know what results in a rejection of renewal or if they would cancel a current residency.
Gun possession only with no connection to another crime can be talked about.
It's a technical violation, no harm done to others.
Prove you are a regular citizen with no connections to anything shady.
Pay a substantial fine.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It appears the reaction to a firearm offense would be stern
-----------------------

Quote from the Presidents speech just now:

No citizen, in any part of the world can be free if he does not feel safe. And insecurity affects thousands of Dominicans, to the point that 77% consider it their main concern.

The problem is the result of many factors and needs a comprehensive response, but I anticipate that we will not be able to reduce the number of homicides we suffer, without a significant disarmament of the population, which we must confront.

I want you to know that this president is determined to make the Dominican Republic a safe country.

And to achieve this, one of my main objectives is to get drugs off the streets of our country.
I expect the president knows the numbers regarding licensed gun owners non involvement in crime.

Illegal gun carry in the DR has no connection to licensed carry permit holders.
Disarming anyone makes good news headlines.
Noticed president said homicides not gun deaths.

About 740 homicides and half are gun deaths.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Windy, what if you never left the country in between the renewals, proven with your passport. Is it still necessary?

Reactions: La Profe_1

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's a stretch - connecting those 2 thoughts !

Solving crimes ........ of all types

Drug boys shooting up the neighborhood........what % is that ??

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
The whole thing with these renewals is very easy to understand. Why do you think they offer this "gracia" every year instead of just cancel the expired licenses and confiscate firearms? The answer is easy, they need those renewal money, as well as Marbete money, driver's licence renewal money, etc.

5850 pesos x 238000 licenses, how much is that? A lot. Now, the whole point of introducing this ballistics lab a few years ago was to add 3267 pesos to the annual renewal costs, so now it's 9117 pesos x 238000 licenses, and that is even more money.

Unfortunately for them, instead of collecting more money, they started to collect much less money, because people just stopped to renew at all because of this annual ballistics test, so their annual earnings dropped to 9117 pesos x 50000 licenses only. Now they need to find the solution to fix that. The logical solution would be to stop doing ballistics every year, and do it just once for the each new licence issued. But, this is DR, so who cares about logic? Let's see what they invent this time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Huge Euge

This is a different gov't........doing things differently
They want rid of the guns..... not more renewals.

Read above - President's speech today

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Huge Euge

This is a different gov't........doing things differently
They want rid of the guns..... not more renewals.

Read above - President's speech today
They want to get rid of illegal guns (every president of every country does the same speech once in a while, nothing new here). And they just announced that there will be another 'gracia' so everybody who has their license expired, can renew without legal troubles... This Government announced it. And why? Because they need the renewal money. And I bet, in a year there will be another 'gracia', and so on. Once again, do the math and calculate the numbers from my post above. It's a lot of money, and they need it. They expect to get that amount every year, it's in their annual budget. Now they started to get less than expected, and the whole noise about "getting rid of guns" is just to force legal gun owners to renew on time.